TX from the regular forum: 9422 Question by Gamekeeper

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

TX from the regular forum: 9422 Question by Gamekeeper

Post by J Miller »

Gamekeeper
Levergunner 2.0

United Kingdom
170 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 : 11:09:57 AM Show Profile Email Poster Reply with Quote
I have just bought my Win 9422 made in 1972. It has German proof marks from the Munich proof house dated 1974, it also has GMBH stamped under the rear sight. But what puzzles me is the Calibre markings.

I have seen S-L-LR and L-LR but mine appears to have an X stamped over the S so I take it, it's only for Longs and Long Rifle.
Did Winchester stamp the X or the German proof house?
Gamekeeper,

My 1976 Vintage 9422 is marked "S, L, LR" and when it was new it functioned, fed, fired, and ejected the little shorts perfectly. As it's been used it no longer is reliable with the them. The Longs and Long Rifles work great though. I believe this to be a characteristic of the model, and why Winchester later began stamping them "L, LR". I've never had the chance to shoot a later 9422, but I'd be they'll work with the shorts too. At least when they are new.

I suspect the proof house "X'd" out the S on your rifle when they proofed it. They probably had trouble with it feeding the shorts, so rather than proof it for an unreliable round they just X'd out the S.

I will not state emphatically that Winchester did not over stamp the S, but I really doubt it.

Joe
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I only put LR's though the 9422 I shoot. I see no need to shoot a lower powered cartridge that costs more.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

I use a lot of .22Short ammo. Nice, pleasant plinking round, no need for hearing protection. Surprisingly effective on game as well. My LR version of the 94/22 is a later model marked Long and LR only. It feeds Shorts about 75% of the time. My pard's came from his father that was bought new back in the `70's. It has seen A LOT of mileage, include a truckload of Shorts and it's been as reliable as the sunrise with them. Lately he's been teaching his sons to shoot with it.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Craig,

When mine was new I could fill the magazine tube full of the old Winchester 22 Short black powder blanks and lever them through as fast as I wanted too.
Then as time passed I found a box of Remington shorts and fired them. I had quite a few of them fall off the front of the bolt both on the chambering stroke and the ejecting stroke.
I'm just wondering if it was the ammo or weather I've got some worn parts in there.
I honestly have NO idea how many rounds I've got through that rifle.

Joe
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I bought the 9422 mainly for squirrels and rabbits but I intend to use CB longs for close range shots on tree'd squirrels as this little island is a might crowded for shooting HV slugs skywards!!

I just thought it strange to X out the S when later models just had L-LR .
I still don'y know what the GMBH stands for under the rear sight, must have been stamped on in Germany.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Gamekeeper,

Here is what Wikipedia has to say about GMBH:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gesellscha ... er_Haftung

Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung

Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung (GmbH) is a type of legal entity very common in Germany (where it was created in 1892), Austria (adopted in 1906), Switzerland, and other Central European countries. It is governed by a federal law called "GmbH-Gesetz" (GmbH law) [1] [2].

Literally translating as company with limited liability, the concept mit beschränkter Haftung inspired the creation of the limited liability company form in other countries. The name of the GmbH form emphasizes the fact that the owners (Gesellschafter, also known as members) of the entity are not personally liable for company's debts. Other variations include mbH (used when the term Gesellschaft is part of the company name itself), and gGmbH (gemeinnützige GmbH) for non-profit companies.

The GmbH has become the most widespread company form in Germany, since the AG (Aktiengesellschaft), the other major company form corresponding to a stock corporation, was until recently much more complicated to form and operate.

It is widely accepted that a GmbH is formed in three stages: the founding association, which is regarded as a private partnership with full liability of the founding partners/members; the founded company (often qualified with "i.G.", meaning "in Gründung"); and the fully registered GmbH. Only the registration of the company in the Commercial Register (Handelsregister) provides the GmbH with its full legal status.

The founding act and the articles of association have to be notarized. The GmbH law outlines the minimum content of the articles of association, but it is quite common to have a wide range of additional rules in the articles.

Under German law, the GmbH must have a minimum founding capital of €25,000, of which 25% but at least €12,500 has to be contributed by its members (when the GmbH has only one member the law is even stricter regarding the required capital contribution). A supervisory board (Aufsichtsrat) is required if the company has more than 500 employees, otherwise the company is run only by the managing directors (Geschäftsführer) who have unrestricted proxy for the company. The members acting collectively may restrict the powers of the managing directors by giving them binding orders. In most cases, the articles of association list the business activities for which the directors must obtain prior consent from the members. Under German law, a violation of these duties by a managing director will not affect the validity of a contract with a third party, but the GmbH may hold the managing director in question liable for damages.

Because a legal entity with liability limited to the contributed capital was regarded in the 19th century as something dangerous, German law has many restrictions unknown to common law systems. A number of business transactions have to be notarized, such as transfer of shares, issuing of stock, and amendments to the articles of association. Many of those measures have to be filed with the company registry where they are checked by special judges or other judicial officers. This can be a tiresome and time-consuming process as in most cases the desired measures are only legally valid when entered into the registry. Because there is no central company registry in Germany but rather several hundred connected to regional courts, the administration of the law can be rather different between German states.

Hope this helps.

Joe