My quest for 405 load data

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

My quest for 405 load data

Post by Duff L Bagg »

After slugging the barrel of my new Winchester 1895 I found that it has a groove diameter of .413", just a little on the big size. I knew that I was going to have to cast for this barrel to get all of the accuracy that this gun is capable of. So before rushing out to buy a mold I decided that I would try to find several different bullets before laying out the money for a mold. I searched the Internet looking for properly sized bullets I found a bullet at Buffalo Arms that is sized to .414".

Now for the hard part finding cast bullet load data for the 405 Winchester. I went through all of the loading manuals that I have and then began looking on the Internet. I am a member at Wolfe Publishing's Load Data web site and even there information was on the skinny side, I think that there are only 3 or 4 loads for cast bullets for the 405 win. Yesterday morning I sent an email to Accurate Arms powder asking for help with a load using 5744. This afternoon I received a reply from AA with data for 5744. I think that things are going to work out just fine.
Still haven't got to the range with it yet, but will post a report when I have some perforated targets to show you.

For those of you that might be interested in the bullet and load data I have included it below.

Link to the Bullet
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,4993.html

A Cut and paste from my E-mail from Accurate Arms Powder:

We suggest the following.

Caliber: .405 Winchester.

Barrel length: 24”

Case length: 2.583” - Trim to length: 2.563” –

COL: 3.175” max

Powder: Accurate -- 5744.

Bullet weight: 300 grains

Low load: 26.0 grains (1400 -1500 Ft/p/sec)

Mid range load: 32.0 grains (approx 1800 -1900 Ft/p/sec)

Maximum load: 37.0 grains (approx 1900 - 2000 Ft/p/sec)

NOTES:

It’ important to note that SAFETY is our prime concern therefore we strongly recommend.

1. TO ALWAYS BEGIN LOADING AT THE RECOMMENDED MINIMUM “START” LOAD.

2. If at all possible, measure the velocity and correlate with our data.

Regards

Johan Loubser

Ballistician

Ramshot/Accurate Powders

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Re: My quest for 405 load data

Post by Dave James »

For other help with it you mite try the Single Shot Express on the net and accurate reloading.com it has a large load section
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I shot Mt. Baldy's offering sized .414" with a slightly compressed charge of H-4895. If memory serves me correctly the bullet weighted about 350grs. 54.5grs of H-4895 to be exact. I ignited the powder with CCI BR-2 primers. Highly accurate. 2495 might have some real accuracy potential as well. I developed a loafer/cat sneeze load with 9.0grs Trail Boss underneath a 210gr semi wad cutter Bear Creek Supply bullet sized .413". This bullet was developed for the .41 mag. but it shot wonderfully out of the newly manufactured Win.1895. I ignited the T.B. with Rem. 2 1/2 primer. Very accurate load that shot to the same point of aim as the heavier bullet! I used a .410" sized expander with the harder bullet and a .412" expander with the soft Bear Creek bullet. Hope this helps, 1886.
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

Thanks Dave, I will check those sites out.

1886, were you shooting a 95 win or a a single shot? I have a pound of H-4895 out on the bench that I will try with the 300 grn bullets from Buffalo Arms.

I just have a hard time understanding why major arms makers are allowing guns out of the factory with over sized bores.

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

A contributor JMCKENNEY has provided some IMR load info - 2400, Hi-Vel, 4320, Unique, and 3031 - at:
http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/sho ... hp?t=24910

Scroll down to JMCKENNEY's post - you can copy and paste the posting as an image file.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Duff L Bagg wrote:Thanks Dave, I will check those sites out.

1886, were you shooting a 95 win or a a single shot? I have a pound of H-4895 out on the bench that I will try with the 300 grn bullets from Buffalo Arms.

I just have a hard time understanding why major arms makers are allowing guns out of the factory with over sized bores.
Newly manufactured Win. 95. The Mt. Baldy bullet was a .416 cal. offering that was sized down to .414". 1886.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Many fo the originals were 413 or even larger. Ken Waters mentioned a 405 that was large enough that a lead slug that was correct for the barrel wouldn't even chamber. Of what was "real" back when, 413 is about as close as you can get.