OT - Considering buying a .410 - your thoughts?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

OT - Considering buying a .410 - your thoughts?

Post by airedaleman »

I've been eyeing a new Mossberg .410 pump gun at the local WalMart for a while. Any thoughts on the .410 (besides being expensive to shoot)?
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
piller
Posting leader...

Re: OT - Considering buying a .410 - your thoughts?

Post by piller »

The .410 is fine for good shots, but if you are not very good with a shotgun then you may be disappointed. I don't recommend buying at Wal-Mart as they signed a contract with Bloomberg to video record all firearm pruchases and keep the video and paperwork permanently.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

Buy a Super Comanche .410/.45 Colt pistol. About $135, full choke performance out to 25 yards, acceptable accuracy from Rem. non cowboy 250 gr. lead factory loads.

I was given one and think everyone should have one.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have used a .410 on and off since I was thirteen. Great gun on squirrels and pigeons if you keep within reasonable range. I have also taken quite a few Foxes with one.
I prefer the .410 for hunting in heavy woodland as the shots are usually no more than twentyfive yards anyway.
Over here we can buy 2", 2 1/2" and 3" shells, I have always had better luck with the 2 1/2" shell, it seems to pattern better. The 2" shell is great for critters in the garden.
Most .410s are choked full but again I have had a lot better hunting with more open chokes.
Half choke and #7 shot, 2 1/2" shells will fill the game bag if you point the thing in the right direction and keep shots under thirty yards.

My only .410 now, is a Full Choked Savage 24. I have taken Squirrels, Jays and a Stoat with it and I haven't put a full box of shells through it yet. The .22 barrel has only taken a Rabbit and a Jay.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Longfin
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Longfin »

Don't think you indicated what you intended to use the .410 pump for. Hunting: hunting what? Defense? As others have stated, the single shot .410 was my first shotgun, received as a Christmas present when I was 12 years old. It is still my favorite squirrel gun and have used it to dispatch a few other critters. My daughters also have used that old shotgun to kill squirrels. A pump .410 would be a nice addition to the collection; I always thought a .410 double would be neat.
Zack
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have a couple of .410" bore guns and they do well for squirrel and rabbit. I've used the .410 on dove but that was many years ago (I started with a 16 ga.). I would get at least a 20 ga. for a first shotgun, at least so long as we can use lead shot. If you reload, the .410" gives about the quickest return on your investment because the ammo is so expensive but it uses relatively small charges of powder and lead. If you do get the .410 bore gun, you really should get a MEC 600 Jr. (they are often on 3-bay), and set up to load. 10-20 boxes and you've paid for the loader.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've had at least one .410 since I was 10. Think I've got three now. Mostly use them for knockin' red sqrls. out ot the trees around my cabin and blackbirds.

Everything else I use my Model 12, 20ga.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

airedaleman wrote:I've been eyeing a new Mossberg .410 pump gun at the local WalMart for a while. Any thoughts on the .410 (besides being expensive to shoot)?
If you want a small bore, and are willing to pay over $12 a box for shells, go with the 28 ga. A lot more versatility when it comes to birds and small game. If you reload you can drop your shot charge down to 5/8 or 11/16 oz, same as a magnum .410. 3/4 oz is the standard target and field load, and 7/8 oz and 1 oz field loads are available (and incase you don't know, 1 oz of shot is the standard 16 ga load). When it comes to birds, both gauges are best choked no tighter than Modified, and really Skeet or Improved Cylinder are where they're going to be at their best. Figure max range on the .410 is going to be about 25 yards, a little over 30 yards for the 28 ga. Even choked Full for squirrels, at 40 yards 3/4 oz of #6 is getting thin.

~Michael
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

410 is what it is - a specialty shell. If you want one for rabbit, squirrel or a real challenge in dove or quail hunting, then they are great fun.

I would personally go for a nice used Remington if you can find one. That's the cat's meow in my book.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

I like the .410 and owned an older Rem 1100....a sweet shotgun. I used it for bird hunting...great for rabbits, etc. I think a double would be nice to have in a .410 too...I had a 28ga in a double Huglu, and it was sweet. Now, all I have is a 20ga and 12 ga...
Semper Fi
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

I had one of those Mossberg 410s, an earlier model and I was dissappointed. Suckers are kinda expensive to start with and the pattern with factory was sorry. At 20yds, the pattern opened up so much that I couldn't hit a sparrow. I traded it off.

I had a stevens pump in .410 as a kid that was very good but they don't present themselves very often in the used gun department.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

piller wrote:The .410 is fine for good shots, but if you are not very good with a shotgun then you may be disappointed. I don't recommend buying at Wal-Mart as they signed a contract with Bloomberg to video record all firearm pruchases and keep the video and paperwork permanently.
That's just so much stuff. That would violate ump-teen thousand federal laws and regulations and if it were true would apply to NY City only. It's just amazing what the anti-WalMart crew comes up with.
ED
Yer never too old
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have a vintage 1930s Model 42 Winchester and absolutely love it. It doesn't get used as much as it used to because the shells cost too darned much. :)

Ed, the Wal-marts around this area don't even stock ammo, let alone guns. At one time they had the best price on bulk Federal shells, so I bought them all the time. :(
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

O.S.O.K. wrote:410 is what it is - a specialty shell. If you want one for rabbit, squirrel or a real challenge in dove or quail hunting, then they are great fun.

I would personally go for a nice used Remington if you can find one. That's the cat's meow in my book.
Just traded my Remington 1100 Sporting 28 on a Savage 114. The 1100 was a nice gun, but just not dependable (too many break downs) and too heavy for just putting 3/4 oz of shot down the barrel. I cannot recommend a modern Remington shotgun. They look nice on the outside, but the quality isn't what it should be on the inside IMO.

As for the .410 being a "specialty", there's nothing special about it. They're meant to be light weight, short range guns, plain and simple. People like to call it's an experts gun. It's not. Know it's limits, treat it like any other shotgun inside those limits, and it will work just fine. Size #7 1/2, 8, 8 1/2 or 9 shot, Skeet or IC choke, shots under 25 yards. If you need any more than that you need a bigger gauge.

~Michael
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Modoc ED,

Here is what the NRA was reporting about Bloomberg & WalMart:

http://www.nranews.com/blogarticle.aspx?blogPostId=384

"4/16/2008

New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg’s latest volley in his war on gun ownership is convincing Wal-Mart that they need to film every firearm purchase.

The goal, according to the mayor, is to reduce crime. But we know gun control doesn't equal crime control. And this reeks of a public relations stunt instead of a crime-fighting measure.

Gun owners who buy a firearm at Wal-Mart, or any other gun store for that matter, already go through a background check before the purchase can be made. What's the point of videotaping someone making a legal purchase of a product, other than simple harassment? To put it another way, every day Wal-Mart sells thousands of prescription medications that, if used improperly, can result in sickness or death. Are they going to start implementing these same rules at their pharmacies, too?

It's been three years since Bloomberg held his first anti-gun summit in Washington, D.C., and he's had no success to show for it. Legislators have stood up to his anti-gun bullying because they know that what he's proposing isn't about crime. It's about demonizing gun ownership in general.

It's too bad Wal-Mart's putting political correctness above treating their customers with respect. If Sam Walton had treated his customers like this back when Wal-Mart was just a dime store in Arkansas, I doubt the company would still be in business. "

Link to sound clip:

http://www.nranews.com/blogmedia/384/WL ... alMart.mp3

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Fourten is fine and can be much fun but! If ever there was a need for a perfect fitting gun then it is with a fourten or else you won't hit a thing moving with any consistency.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Shawn -

But Wal-Mart isn't presently doing it and this ties into a Federal Lawsuit and a possible prosecution of Bloomberg for sending people to VA to purchase guns and giving false information on the Federal forums. They were checking the block that said the firearm was for them and giving phony information and were in fact doing Straw Purchases. That is against Federal Law and Bloomberg is in a bit of trouble over it as are the idiots from NY that falsified the Federal Gun Purchase Forms.

Even if Wal-Mart were to go along with Bloomberg, it would only apply to NY City.
Last edited by Modoc ED on Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ED
Yer never too old
David Grubb
Levergunner

Post by David Grubb »

I have owned a Savage 410 double barrel for years and have had a lot of enjoyment with it. My youngest daughter has used to shoot trap with and all of the boys were putting down their 12ga magnum cannons and asking her if they could use her 410. Probably her devious female ploy at work any way.
Saltcreek
Levergunner

Post by Saltcreek »

I have an H&R 410 that I find inexpensive and useful around the place for squirrel, rabbets and garden pests. No unnecessary recoil and kick of a 20 or 12 or wasted shot for the purpose. I find a single shot 410 all I need for this kind of hunting and a good farm gun alongwith the 22. Great for urban closer in areas too as there are no ricochet worries. If you need more in a 410 I think you want to spend good money on a premium 410 and be a dedicated 410 sportsman.
Help your own self, the Government is to busy savin' thierselves.
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

The way I shoot I need to get all the lead in the air I can! 12ga or bigger for me!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I had the chance to shoot a 410 this past sunday on the skeet field...
It was a Kreighoff..12 ga with 410 tubes in it..what a sweet shooter..no kick
But ya gotta have some coins to shoot a Kreighoff....
Its nice to have rich shoot'n buddies :D anyway
Mossberg makes a pretty good shotgun...
I have played around with the 835 ultimags and I like them
If you get the 410 your gonna have to reload....
you will save a lot of money....
But.... I would buy a remington 870 wingmaster....
they dont lose there value.....
and in some configurations, they have gone up in value!
The 410s are a lot of fun on the skeet field ... dove fields...
and other small game.....
but I prefer the 12 and 20 gauges ...
you can get the ammo just about anywhere....
410s and 28s are nice but to many $$$$$$ for ammo
as you already know
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

I like the 410, I believe you will like the Mossberg.

I keep mine for pests and varmints around the place.

Perfect for that IMO.

Have had extra good killing performance with the REM. 3in. #6, folded up three Grayfox at around 30-35 yards, all three bang flop.

Nailed two crows in the top of a gum tree one shot est. 30yrds.

Lots of squirrels and cottontails to it's credit.

good shooting
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've always had a 410 shotgun, and still have a couple. Recently sold a minty Stevens 410 pump, but I'll never sell my two early Marlin Model 410 lever action shotguns!
When it comes to just playing around shooting trap or clays, the 410 is fun. It's also great on doves, quail, and small game of many kinds out to about 30 yds. I've used mine mostly for dove and quail, and for those it's fast pointing and doesn't tear things up like a 12ga or 20ga.-Vall
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Slick13 wrote:
O.S.O.K. wrote:410 is what it is - a specialty shell. If you want one for rabbit, squirrel or a real challenge in dove or quail hunting, then they are great fun.

Just traded my Remington 1100 Sporting 28 on a Savage 114. The 1100 was a nice gun, but just not dependable (too many break downs) and too heavy for just putting 3/4 oz of shot down the barrel. I cannot recommend a modern Remington shotgun. They look nice on the outside, but the quality isn't what it should be on the inside IMO.

As for the .410 being a "specialty", there's nothing special about it. They're meant to be light weight, short range guns, plain and simple. People like to call it's an experts gun. It's not. Know it's limits, treat it like any other shotgun inside those limits, and it will work just fine. Size #7 1/2, 8, 8 1/2 or 9 shot, Skeet or IC choke, shots under 25 yards. If you need any more than that you need a bigger gauge.

~Michael
Michael, you are confusing "specailty" for "expert" - please read what I wrote. You basically said the same thing after saying I was wrong :roll: It is indeed a specialty round - intended for what you describe which is where you hunt rabbit and squirrel and it is indeed a challeng with dove and quail.

And the biggest "mistake" that is made in regards to the .410 is to treat it as a "kids guage" and have young, beginning hunters use it in totally inadequate rolls.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

A good old breakopen works for me and my kids. Good for barnyard pests (coons, possums, rats, etc.) and easy to shoot. Skeet isn't that hard with practice (and no really 'difficult' throws).

We reload just a few at a time with the little Lee 'Classic' kit http://leeprecision.com/ but I don't think it is any longer offered in .410 shotshell.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

i have a 410 remington pump. i love it. i use it for squirrel, coon, and rabbit. i have used single shots and am planning on getting another for my children.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I'm pretty sure that I'm in a minority here, but I say save your money and buy a decent gun.

IMNSHO, the .410 is just about the most useless shotgun around, those 9 mm shotguns might be more worthless, but I don't know for sure.

It doesn't have enough of a shot load to be worth a hoot as a bird gun, and it is pretty light even on big rabbits if you are not real close. The slugs are a bad joke, it is a 90 grain cup of soft lead, a deer would need to be pretty unlucky to be killed by it, and if you manage to kill a deer with a .410 slug, go buy a lottery ticket, it is your Lucky Day. At point blank range, the .410 buckshot might, just might be useful in a defensive situation. But there are only 3 pellets and they might or might not hit a vital area.

Now I will admit that the .410 shines in two areas. It is a danged good snake gun, but I'd just as soon have a less expensive single-shot for that use. And in the hands of a good shotgunner, the 410 can be a real delight on the skeet field.

I would not swap my 20-year-old 12 gauge Mossberg M-500 for three brand new .410's.

Just my opinion. It's free and you are welcome to value it at cost.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

my wife shot this critter with an h&R .410. it is the first time she has killed anything. she has shot my other guns, but was most comfortable with this one.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

the .410 is interesting... especially out of a Levergun.

The 9410 or Marlin .410 loaded with Brass shotshells holding crazy amounts of shot over fiber wads (no shot cup) changes the game dramaticly... :twisted:

That said, I like shooting .410s out of my Damascus 16ga Double with bore liners. Fun, short-range small critter getter.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

The Mossberg is fine. I've got a couple of single shots around, a Rossi "matched pair" .410/.22 I bought my son at age 6, and an NEF single I cut into a pistol-grip camp gun. Either works fine for squirrels or rabbits.

I had my eye on a rossi SXS in .410 just because, but somebody else nabbed it while I was thinking about it.

For SERIOUS .410 shotgunning, get ya one, pick up a .410 ga MEC 600 press (used ones come around fairly cheap, even on ebay), and reload for it. That makes em a LOT more affordable to shoot ;)
Certified gun nut
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I purchased a Stoeger SXS .410 for my daughter. She loves it. Just make sure you get choke tubes. Hers is a MOD/IMC, the IMC opens up way too much for the small load of a .410. The modified is good out to about 20 yards.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

another thing you can do with a 410 is shoot cheap rat shot. a church member has chicken houses and had been over run with rats his last batch. he was going to the poor house in rat shot capsules. i took shells and cut them down to 45 colt length and loaded them with reduced loads. the shortened 410 shell will shoot out of 45 colt revolvers and 410s. the cost of the primer, pinch of powder, and shot is cheaper than the store bought rat shotshells.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Image I just put one in layaway. I will use it for trap and for squirrel and rabbit.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

buckeyeshooter wrote:Image I just put one in layaway. I will use it for trap and for squirrel and rabbit.
SWEEET. That's NEW, not NOS?
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

I'd like to thank all you guys for taking the time to offer your comments, and I value all your observations. I think I'll go ahead and buy the Mossberg; all I'm looking for is a light-kicking, fun gun that - at most - will be used for pest control and some informal clay bird shooting. I just might try to find a Lee loader. I have nearly a pound of L'il Gun left over from the days when I had a Hornet. We'll see what develops. Thanks again to all!
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

airedaleman wrote:...I just might try to find a Lee loader...
Good luck there. They run from $50 to Stupid on Feebay and elsewhere. They are "collectors items" and in high demand in England apparantly.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

The malin was just released this week, if you want one get it soon---- it is a non-catalogued shotgun.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

buckeyeshooter wrote:The malin was just released this week, if you want one get it soon---- it is a non-catalogued shotgun.
Sigh.

I want, but I can't have. :cry:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

My first shotgun was a Mossy .410. Still have it. Works well for southpaws. Took many a small critter with it. Today, it is my "Jeep" gun. Used to carry an AR-7, but wanted something with a little more punch. .410 slugs are pretty effective on coyote sized critters (the largest I've tried so far). The Mossy breaks down easily into three pieces the longest being the barrel (shortened it to 19"). I wouldn't feel under armed against anything up to the size of mountain lion.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad