Politics-Council:Take Down Barbed Wire-Danger To Thieves(UK)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Politics-Council:Take Down Barbed Wire-Danger To Thieves(UK)

Post by don Tomás »

Hobie won't let me post under "Idiots - " topic so this goes under "Politics - ".

Remember the Council directive that gardeners shouldn't lock their sheds so the thieves won't have to damage the shed breaking in? Here's the latest.

Me thinks the sun has indeed set on the British Empire... :cry:
Tom

Gardener ordered to take down barbed wire fence 'in case thieves hurt themselves on it'

A gardener has been ordered by council chiefs to remove three foot high barbed wire ringing his allotment - in case thieves scratch themselves climbing over it.

Bill Malcolm, 61, took the drastic step of installing the wire in a bid to prevent burglars raiding his tool shed and ransacking his vegetable plots.

Intruders have struck three times in four months, stealing more than £300 worth of hardware, including spades, forks and hoes as well as destroying his potato patch.

The fed-up gardener surrounded his 600 square yard site in Worcester with a single strand of barbed wire, which stood no more than waist high.

But his local council declared the security measure was a health and safety hazard and warned him they would forcibly remove it if he refused.

Bill said: 'It's an absolutely ridiculous situation, all I wanted was to protect my property but the wire had to go in case a thief scratched himself.

'The council said they were unhappy about the precautions I had made but my response was to tell them that only someone climbing over on to my allotment could possibly hurt themselves.

'They shouldn't be trespassing in the first place but the council apologised and said they didn't want to be sued by a wounded thief.

'I told them to let the thief sue me so at least that way I would know who was breaking into my allotment but everything I said fell on deaf ears. It seems as though they are so wrapped up in red tape, they are unable to help me.
Bill Malcolm

Security battle: Intruders have struck Bill's allotments three times in four months

'It was just three foot high and wasn't as though I'd dug a moat filled with piranha and erected six foot iron railings.

'A lot of people, myself included, are growing our own veg to beat the credit crunch. But what's the point if they are going to be ripped up by mindless idiots?

'I take care of this allotment, it's somewhere peaceful to come to after work, but it's very demoralising to have your belongings stolen all the time and your hard work ruined.'

Bill, has grown potatoes, onions, beetroot and asparagus on two neighbouring allotment patches for the last eight years.

Over the past 18 months, a number of other sheds have been broken into, resulting in thousands of pounds worth of tools stolen and produce destroyed.

Police are aware of five incidents this year although father-of-one Bill said two thirds of the 50 allotment holders on the site had suffered some sort of vandalism or theft.

Bromsgrove District Council admitted tenants were responsible for keeping their own plots secure but argued that the land is surrounded by post and rail fencing.

A spokeswoman said: 'With regard to the barbed wire, when this is identified on site, we are obliged to request its removal or remove it on health and safety grounds to the general public as this is a liability issue.

'This is a requirement enforced by our health and safety department.

'The allotment land in question is part of a green belt area and is surrounded by post and rail fencing which is in keeping with the nature of the site and surrounding area.

'Due to its rural location this site is vulnerable to criminal activity. Burglary is a criminal matter and we advise tenants to contact the local police.

'As part of their allotment agreement, tenants are responsible for keeping their plot secure. The Council has not received any reports of theft other than that from Mr Malcolm but we will be monitoring the situation.

'The numbers of burglaries that have occurred on this allotment do not warrant the expense of installing CCTV.'

But Sergeant Nick Husbands of West Mercia police added: 'We can confirm five thefts from Round Hill allotments have been reported in the last year.

'These have mainly been from sheds and our advice to allotment holders is not to leave anything of value there. Expensive items like strimmers should be taken home.

'Patrols have been increased and crime prevention advice has been given. We are also encouraging residents to postcode their tools, for example with SmartWater, which uses a colourless liquid containing a chemical marker similar to DNA.'
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Politics-Council:Take Down Barbed Wire-Danger To Thieves(UK)

Post by gamekeeper »

This stupid attitude is common all over the UK.
We have had a few robberies here lately, only two nights ago some low life stole the new keepers Land Rover Discovery.
My shed and car port are protected by Alarm Guns, they fire a 12GA Blank.
I used them a lot when I was a gamekeeper, they are still legal here in the UK but I suppose I could get sued for causing hearing damage! :lol:

Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I wonder what would happen if the gentleman in question accidentially left a bucket of cleaning ammonia in his tightly sealed shed and accidentially knocked a bleach tablet for the loo into it just before locking up... :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

OI
you sure your not Mescalero?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

mescalero1 wrote:OI
you sure your not Mescalero?
Pretty sure. The Arapahos & Shoshones in my "neighborhood" growing up kept calling me "paleface"... :wink:

But you learn some pretty fun(ny) things in CBR OEW/CWM class... :twisted:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I like it
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Another good bit is to hotwire (short-to-ground) the (lock-free) hasp to the recently installed lorry-battery-operated (more amps) shed lights...

(safety cut-out is a shorted plug in an outdoor socket in series...)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

:lol:
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

kinda sounds like one or some of the council members are running a second hand garden tool business. :roll:

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I suppose he could plant some thorny vines. Raspberry or Blackberry should do the trick and he can eat them as well.

I do like the idea of an electric fencer with a few hooks to snag clothing though... :twisted:
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

How about half a dozen gardiners having a sleepover in the sheds for a couple nights. Catch the little bludgers redhanded and bury the evidence in the garden :lol:
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

gundownunder wrote:How about half a dozen gardiners having a sleepover in the sheds for a couple nights. Catch the little bludgers redhanded and bury the evidence in the garden :lol:
I think they call that "mulch"... :lol:
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

So I guess a brick or stone wall with broken glass embedded in the top of it is out of the question? :twisted:
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

What about an inner perimeter of boards with nails driven through them buried just below the surface? Invisible until... :twisted: :D