pistol suggestion to match with '92 in .357

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

pistol suggestion to match with '92 in .357

Post by rjohns94 »

anytime now, i will have a NKJ custom '92 duo tone stainless steel in .357. I'm trying to come up with the perfect .357 pistol to match it. I have S&W 60 3inch Pro, a S
&W TRRP 8 shot in .357, put was wondering what you would choose. Only restriction I offer is ammo compatable with the '92 -

So what would you choose - LAR Grissly in .357, Coonan in .357, Blackhawk?, Blue, stainless, single action, double action, semi auto??? Barrel length? Colt? Smith? Ruger? Freedom Arms?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Re: pistol suggestion to match with '92 in .357

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Mike -

The perfect mate to a lever is always a single-action revolver. It is not that other guns won't do fine, but rather, the lever action and the single-action revolver were just meant to go together! :D

How long will the barrel be on your 92? If it is short, I'd choose a short-barreled Colt SAA in .357 Magnum, or a old-model Ruger Blackhawk. If a longer barrel, go with the same in a longer barrel configuration to match.

Good luck! :D
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Mike -

The perfect mate to a lever is always a single-action revolver. It is not that other guns won't do fine, but rather, the lever action and the single-action revolver were just meant to go together! :D

How long will the barrel be on your 92? If it is short, I'd choose a short-barreled Colt SAA in .357 Magnum, or a old-model Ruger Blackhawk. If a longer barrel, go with the same in a longer barrel configuration to match.

Good luck! :D

What He said! :) I have a Colt SAA in .357 and 5 1/2 in. bbl. and it makes for a good hunting rig. I just need a '92 to go along with it.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Ricky

DWWC
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

A stainless Blackhawk. :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I went with a Ruger 50th Anniversary Blackhawk. GREAT little pistol.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
L8agin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by L8agin »

If yer not trying to conceal it, I like the 6 to 6 1/2 in barrels. All my 357's are hand loads with 2400 or 296- most loaded to the old SAAMI pressures with a couple maybe pushing that. The 6 in barrel range gets good velocity, sight radius, and managability.
Only have had a 6 in Dan Wesson and a 6 1/2 in black hawk to compare in that range+ a couple af 4 in guns and some 5 1/2 in cass guns.
The Black Hawk chronoed close to 100 fps faster than the DW even with the barrel gap at a couple of thou. with 158 grainers and I don't need double action so I settled on the BH. It,s accurate-had it scoped for a while-and tough as they make em. Lotta quality steel around that round and they shoot dirty or clean forever 8)
L8
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Mike,

My 357s to go with my NKJ '92
Uberti Bisley

And S&W 66 with and old Hieser holster.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

Stainless Ruger Blackhawk with the 4 5/8 barrel. Think compact and out of the way for the handgun since you'll be carrying the rifle in your hands. The .357 handgun will serve as back-up while the rifle will be used (probably) first.

The new style vaquero sure does look pretty to me and goes alot less (In $$$) than a Colt.

Have fun, thinking about buying and trying to decide is half the fun...
Andy
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
greasy dan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by greasy dan »

Old model Vaquero in Stainless...
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =112292123
I have no connection whatsoever with this auction... just looked it up. However, I do have a similar piece. It will shoot any load that your Model 92 will handle. I have tried every load I could get in mine with no problems. Yes, model 92 combined with SAA is the way to go.
John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda and Winchesters. I'm a kid again.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Single action. Stainless because you're matching to a stainless rifle. Ruger because they are the epitomy of reliable. Vaquero or Blackhawk depending on your desire to be able to match the sights with the loads - I'd go Blackhawk myself.

Get a nice set of stag grips for it and you're set.

If you want to spend some more money, consider a nice Freedom Arms.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

DerekR wrote:I went with a Ruger 50th Anniversary Blackhawk. GREAT little pistol.
Dittos!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I'd go with an Old Model Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8" barrel. The New Model Blackhawks are built on the large frame which makes them too big in my opinion. The 50th Anniversary and the New Vaquero are OK size wise and the New Vaquero comes in stainless, but they are hampered by Rugers transfer bar action. I never could accept that.

The Old Model can be plated to look just like a satin stainless.

So, that's my choice.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nothing wrong with a Ruger. I have a number of them, but to me there's nothing like the feel of a Colt SAA.
Old Law Dawg
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

TedH wrote:A stainless Blackhawk. :mrgreen:
+6 on that! (it is a 'six'-shooter :roll: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I like my Bisley Vaqueros (of course you know that):

I do prefer the look of the unfluted cylinder, however (you know that too):

Last edited by alnitak on Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Heck, Mike is just going to sell it (them) off anyway! :wink: :lol: So the real question is, what would you like to see Mike offer for sale on this forum? :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Hobie wrote:Heck, Mike is just going to sell it (them) off anyway! :wink: :lol: So the real question is, what would you like to see Mike offer for sale on this forum? :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I"m partial to "N" frame S&Ws no mater what. a 4" M28 or a 5" M27 is as good as it gets for me.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Hobie, Now thats funny right there!! May offer the S&W TRRP up for sale but I don't think the companion gun to the 92 will be sold. :D

I agree that perhaps it should be single action and in stainless. I was looking for a bisley stainless Ruger with 5 1/2 in barrel and adj sights and Alnitak found one on the ruger forum for me so I may go with that.

Rusty - The Korth is a beautiful firearm. I have shot one before, but never owned one. A used one came in for sale at a shop I worked in. Very nicely made but I really don't see what made them so pricey in their quality. Besides being over priced, they are a might scarce.

Colt SAA - was considering this, and in fact I had been looking at one on Gunbroker. Think I am going to go with the stainless steel look though.

USFA only has .38 specials

thanks for the inputs, I knew you guys are always willing to help me spend my money.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I have this stainless Cimarron 357 that has a great action and good feel. They are inexpensive too. If money is not a problem by all means get the Colt Saa. I have a few Colt Saa and you can't beat them IMHO.

"That'll Be The Day"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'd be out of character if I was to suggest anything but a single action, so might I suggest one of these:

Cimarron MP4503 MSRP of $622.70; .357 Magnum, 4-¾" Pre-War w/1-Piece Walnut stocks, in Stainless; or a

USRA Single Action MSRP of $1125; .38 Special, 4-¾" w/2-piece Tru-Ivory™ stocks in Nickel

If you decide on the USFA, you are limited to .38 Special, but... you can shoot +P ammo, and with the tighter chamber (less bullet jump) you can probably expect greater accuracy in a fine looking gun.

But, I wouldn't rule out the Colt SAA. Mdl P1641, Nickel finish , .357 caliber, 4¾” barrel length w/hard rubber grips. Especially if you decide to sell it off in the future! :twisted: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Alnitak, those grips are BEAUTIFUL. I will have to try to get some like that with what ever pistol I decide.!!!
Mike Johnson,

RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

No sense worrying about "tradition." Stainless and .357 threw that out the window already. :wink:

How about a nice Ruger GP100? Looks like they now come standard with some cool Hogue-ish grips!

Scott
Last edited by RSY on Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

RSY - you make good points there
Mike Johnson,

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

SP101 for me. Small and tough. I carry a revolver for where the rifle isn't appropriate, so the snubby doesn't bother me.

I like SAs, but they are bigger and, while historic and "proven" SD guns, they were/are proven against other SAs... but I still have a hammer spur :wink: :mrgreen:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!