OT: Ruger Montado

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Aries
Levergunner

OT: Ruger Montado

Post by Aries »

Do any of you have opinions on the Ruger Montado and how is it compared to any of the guns made by Uberti?
http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/defa ... ?item=5120
Hobie

Re: OT: Ruger Montado

Post by Hobie »

#1 it is a Ruger.
#2 it is a Ruger.

Ok, so I won't go on and on. It is a fine gun, produced for a particular purpose but adaptable to other purposes. The ones I've seen and handled just didn't float my boat like a USFA Storekeeper (yeah, I done been converted). But, to each his own. I do believe that the Ruger or USFA will hold their value better than any gun with the Uberti name on it. That's true even for USFA guns with Uberti parts!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I like it! The only thing that I'm not sure about is the "scaled down frame" - do they mean the grip? Does look kinda smallish - maybe too smallish...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

Aries wrote:Do any of you have opinions on the Ruger Montado and how is it compared to any of the guns made by Uberti?
http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/defa ... ?item=5120
Uburti is not in the same league as Ruger or USFA, there is no comparison. If this is something that you plan to use and rely on go with one the the guns made right here in the good ol USA.
Texican
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Texican »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Image

I like it! The only thing that I'm not sure about is the "scaled down frame" - do they mean the grip?
No. They mean that it is a modified 'New Vaquero' (i.e. somewhat Colt-sized frame, with Colt-sized grip) rather than the 'Original' Vaquero. That's all.

They are nice. I got to handle one at a local shop a while back. Like all Rugers, I'm sure it will last longer than I will.
Texican

Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic

DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I've only handled one Montado and never fired one, but the one i handled felt good in the hand. It has the slightly smaller grip-frame of the New Vaqueros. I own a few Rugers and one USFA. Can't speak to the Uberti.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

wish i had one in stainless with an adjustable rear sight.
cable
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That Montado with a birdshead grip would be a great stash gun.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ruger's guns are darn-near indestructible. They are a favorite among the SAS crowd for this fact, as they put a lot more lead through them than the average shooter. Still, to me, I just love the four clicks (hammer positions) on a "traditional" Colt SAA type revolver. Uberti makes fine stuff, and though not in the same league as Ruger for durability, if you are interested in a more authentic style, I wouldn't hesitate to get an Uberti.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

They were designed and for use by Mounted shooters in SASS. The piece is not legal for ground CAS-SASS use. They have brought it out in .357 recently I here and Davidsons has them, special run. This would be a very good packing piece in 45 or .357 in my opinion. They are on a RNV frame. It would be nice to have adjustable sights on the piece. Call Davidsons and see if they will have 500 made special, and in stainless. My bet is they would sell very well. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The Montado is a stainless version of the SAA-sized New Vaquero, but available only with a 3 1/2" (IIRC) barrel, and a lowered hammer spur - as on a Super BlackHawk.

The cylinder, cylinder frame & gripframe are the same size as MY .45 NV, below.