SAECO tapered bullets?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

SAECO tapered bullets?

Post by Duff L Bagg »

I was looking around the Saeco web sight this morning and I found something I had never heard of before, tapered bullets. It appears and makes sense that you would shoot these as cast because of the taper of the bullet, .375 at the front to .381 at the base of the bullet. For those of us with 38-55's with bucket bores these seem to be a pretty good option. My 38-55 has a bore of .374 and a groove of .379, I am thinking that this bullet would snuggle right in the barrel like a pig in a blanket.

My question is has anyone here shot these bullets and what were your thought on them? And here comes the the doozy question, are these tumble lube bullets?

http://www.redding-reloading.com/PDF%20 ... ullets.pdf

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Re: SAECO tapered bullets?

Post by Cimarron Red »

Duff L Bag,

I have very limited experience with the Saeco 300 grain tapered bullet (#571.) A friend of mine shoots them in a CPA 44 1/2 single shot rifle, and he gave me about 60 to try in my .38-55 1894 Winchester. I made up several different loads, and tried them at 50 yards. The first two shots missed the the paper entirely. the next two keyholed. Then more missed the paper. I ended the experiment, and when I got home, I pulled the bullets from the remaining cartridges.

In fairness, though, the bullets were lilkely too long to stabilize in my barrel. I have been tempted to try the 255 grainer (#738.) The tapered bullets should be shot 'as cast' which leads to pain-in-the-butt lubing, or if you use a lubri-sizer, the die should be the size of the major diameter of the bullet which means you'll get more lube on the smaller parts of the bullet -- a messy proposition, I suspect. If you try them, let us know your results.
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

To address your other question, I have no experience with tumble lubing, so I can't venture an opinion regarding these bullets.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

The 175 gr. Saeco tapered bullet is just about all I use in a half dozen 30-30's, a few 30-06's, and a pair of 95's in 30-40. I size the bullet .312 and use 'em like that in all of the guns, whether they mike out at .308 or .311. (the 95's are .311) I use wheelweights with 4% tin added and water quench. Velocities in all three calibers are between 1700-1900. The '06's and 30-40's like 'em fast but the 30-30's like 'em slow, at the 1700+ level.

I use a 4 cavity mould because I am an impatient person. :D Groups with all rifles are not target variety but stay between 2" and 3" at the most--all with open tang sights and my 54 year old eyes. Keep in mind, the newest rifle in 30 caliber I shoot was made during WW2 and many go to the 1895-1910 period. Good luck--------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have a 200gr .32 cal Saeco mold and had very poor luck with those bullets in my Ruger #1 .32-40 untill I started to breech seat for that rifle.
Tapered bullets were designed for breach seating and when loaded that way are great. My rifle has 1 in 14 rifling and the 200 gr. is just a tad long for best stability. I have had better luck wih the NEI 185 gr. and the same bullet less the gas check shank does the best in my rifle.
170gr. bullet 14gr. 4227 at about 1400 fps and it will stay under 1/2" all day long at 100yd. :D
PS the barrel is 30" long 7/8" at muzzle and is an 8MM Douglas match select ,1 :14 twist and standard win..32-40 chamber.
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

Kind of a mixed bag here. I do thank you for your input. I suppose that I am just going to have to buy a mold and brew up a few and see what my rifle likes.

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

[quote="Duff L Bagg"]I was looking around the Saeco web sight this morning and I found something I had never heard of before, tapered bullets. It appears and makes sense that you would shoot these as cast because of the taper of the bullet, .375 at the front to .381 at the base of the bullet. For those of us with 38-55's with bucket bores these seem to be a pretty good option. My 38-55 has a bore of .374 and a groove of .379, I am thinking that this bullet would snuggle right in the barrel like a pig in a blanket.

My question is has anyone here shot these bullets and what were your thought on them? And here comes the the doozy question, are these tumble lube bullets? ""

No, they are not tumble lube bullets , but they will work with tumble lube.The correct term is Tapered Loverin, they have a long history.

It would be nice if you could find someone with that mould that would send you a few so you could see how they fit and function in your rifle before you bought the mould, and hopefully a mould from a recent production run, as they tend to very a little from run to run.

I shoot the 315 in a Marlin 30-30 and a TC carbine 32-20 (30-20), I like it a lot, pretty versatile bullet.

good shooting
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!