Browning BL-22 vs. 9422

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KRD
Levergunner

Browning BL-22 vs. 9422

Post by KRD »

Hi all,

I have recently activated my membership to the forum, but have been staying up to date in the background. If this topic has been discussed in the past, please let me know.

For years I wanted to buy a 9422 and never made the move. Now the prices have gone through the ceiling and I still can't force myself to buy one at these prices. For some reason I don't hear much about the Browning BL-22. It appears to be very similar, and reasonably priced, etc.

Could I get your collective opinions on a comparison between the two. Is the Browning and the 9422 comparable from a quality and accuracy standpoint? I am also aware of the Henry and don't mind paying the extra for the Browning if the extra value is there.

Thanks for any help.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Browning BL-22 vs. 9422

Post by AJMD429 »

It looks more like a Savage 99 than a 'classic levergun' but don't forget the Ruger 96/22; feeds perfectly and a handy, fun, gun.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

KRD,

Welcome to the forum. We just had a thread on the BL-22 just a couple days ago. Here's the link to it: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10390

I bought a 9422 way back in '77 and found it suited me so well, I've never wanted another .22 rifle.
Other than handling the BL-22 I've never fired one.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Never fired a Browning BL-22 which I believe to be a quality rifle but the three Winchester 9422's I have had (still have two) have all been excellent firearms. :D

I have also had a Marlin Mountie and the Henry (ERMA) and they were pretty good two.

Anyway welcome to the fire and don't forget to tell us what you buy. :wink:
Last edited by gamekeeper on Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Welcome to the forum.

I recently asked almost the same question. The consensus was most that had the 9422 loved it and the one's that had the BL22 loved theres.

Personal choice was about the best answer. Other than one bit of advice was if you were to buy a BL22, then buy the Grade ll.
Old Law Dawg
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

I have a 94-22M, BL-22, 39A asking for my favorite would be like asking me do I like blonde's, brunets or red heads best?

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
timkelley
Levergunner 1.0

Post by timkelley »

Just to further confuse yourself, check out the little Henry lever 22. Hard to beat at $250.00 or thereabouts.
Thanx, Tim Kelley
NRA Life
SFC US Army Ret.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Well, one thing is for sure, I would definately rate both the BL22 and the 9422, head and shoulders above the Henry. I own a BL22, a Marlin 39M, and a 9422mag, I have also owned two other Marlins in the past.

They were all good guns. This may seem odd, but all three of my Marlins had problems at one time or another. Two had to be worked on when I got them, before they would feed through the mag tubes. And the other broke at least one firing pin that I remember, and my brother in had a Marlln of simular vintage that also broke at least one firing pin. Both of those gun were pruchased new by us around 1980. But all of my Marlins have proved to be good shooting and reliable guns after those issues were delt with.

The 9422mag and the BL22 have not given me any functional problems.

I liked them all for different reasons. In some ways the Marlins give better platforms for mounting a scope. The BL22 is the neatest, lightest, little 22 that I have ever used. And the 9422 is available in 22mag and with a recevier sight, it has been a fantastic killer, and very accurate also.
NRA Life Member, Patron
KRD
Levergunner

Post by KRD »

Thank all for the input. I appreciate the reference to the previous thread and sorry for being redundant. This is a tough choice, but since I like to buy new when I can, it will probably be the BL-22. I have read great things about the Henry and their customer service, so I will take another look at it as well. Thanks again.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I own Marlin 39's, 9422's, and one BL-22. The BL-22 is my favorite. To me it's the prettiest of them (outside of my case colored 9422's) and I love the short throw lever. I'm sure you'll be happy with one. I do own a Henry, but it's just not the same quality level as the others.
gunsmither
Levergunner

Post by gunsmither »

I had a nice little BL-22 years ago. Great fun gun, well made and reliable, and considerably lighter than either a Win or Marlin if I recall. Only thing against it for me was that I could never get used to the short lever throw compared to the Winchester' or Marlin's that I've owned. It was awkward to pick up a Marlin or Winny and shoot for awhile at the range, then go to the Browning with the short throw. Just my $0.02 worth.
I sold it during one of my periodic cash shortages, and have kind of kicked myself ever since.
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jjames »

All I have to say is I like my 9422M but the fit wasn't great and I had to return it because the forestock was constantly loose no matter how tight, without stripping the screw, I tightened the barrel band. I also wasn't too impressed with the fit and finish of my 38-55 Legacy. I bought both of them about a year before they shut down the plant. I have not had that poor of quality out of any of my Browning or my Miruko Winchesters. If everything else was equal I'd buy the Browning, Marlin, or a Henry.