Gunsmith Question - Marlin loading gate

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Texican
Levergunner 2.0

Gunsmith Question - Marlin loading gate

Post by Texican »

I have a pre-safety 1894 Marlin in .44 mag that requires waaaay to much force to load. (plus the inside edge of the frame window is sharp enough to shave brass off the cartridges.)

So my question is: What's the best way to reduce the loading gate tension?

Steve? I'd appreciate your input on this one.
Texican

Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Gunsmith Question - Marlin loading gate

Post by AJMD429 »

Steve will probably cringe at my answer for the 'brass shaving' loading gate - I used the chain-saw sharpener stone :o from my Dremel tool to smooth the loading gate, and some 600 grit paper on a pencil to give it the final surface... :oops:

He'll have to answer the other part. :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

Well the first thing to do is get another loading gate from Marlin. Then stone the one you have to break the sharp edges, maybe hour glass the spring portion a wee tiny bit to reduce the spring tension. Careful on the reduction of spring tension, it doesn't take much. Oh yeah, might as well get another screw which holds the loading gate in place in case you lose the one in there now. Just cut with a stone a little bit at a time and remove the sharp edges. Also check the magazine follower in the tube to make sure it is moving freely and also clean and oil(lightly) the magazine tube and spring. All in all it doesn't take much to correct the problem, but it can be easy to screw up as well. Have spares on hand. Good Luck.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My personal opinion is don't touch the spring part of your loading gate. Polishing the edges so it doesn't shave brass as you push it through is great! Do the inside edge of the receiver opening with a jeweler's stone in a Dremel, it doesn't cut much, but will simply polish metal. They look like rubber with abrasive inpregnated into it.
You can also polish the front edge of the gate towards the mag tube. Polishing these two spots will make a world of difference in how easy the brass slides through to the mag tube.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/