Spencers strength

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Spencers strength

Post by mklwhite »

Are the actions of the Spencer repeater strong enough to take amped up 45lc ammo (like Buffalo Bore)? How would it compare with the strength of the Win 92 and 94 actions?
Hobie

Re: Spencers strength

Post by Hobie »

Originals have every appearance of being iron, not steel. So, not for originals (I know you aren't thinking that, but somebody is).

As to the new ones, my question is why? In the smaller cartridges they are a pain, heavy as heck for caliber, in the original chambering they are usable (for deer, the only reason to ramp one up), but more an exercise in experiencing the old times than in creating a super-dooper-deer-killer. For that a Winchester 92 clone (or Marlin 1894 or Winchester 1894) is much more suitable.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

It was a "have my cake and eat it too" thought. I have always kind of looked at the Spencer as a rifle I would like to have. I have also wanted a good (shortish) 45 lc to go deer hunting with. (along with a 44 and a 357, but one thing at a time) I saw you could get the Spencer in a 45lc and thought maybe it would be a "two birds with one stone" set up. Maybe get a Spencer in 45 and a Win 92 in 357. (Man I wish I would have bought it in the 94 Trapper before they disappeared. I wish they'd bring them back. :cry: ) But anyhow I was just thinking about the hunting aspect of the Spencer. I'd have to save up a while before getting one, so I thought I would do some asking around in advance before I maybe headed down the wrong trail.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I just sold my Armi Sport Spencer carbine in .56-50 to a Civil War skirmisher, but a friend and fellow Spencer fan used his last year to kill his whitetail with a single shot. With black powder and a 350-grain bullet, you'll get right at 1,000 fps, which is way more than enough for most deer within 100 yards. You can step it up some with smokeless,but then you begin to exceed the "Spencer experience," which to me is most of the fun. I would never dream of having one of these in other than .56-50, which it was designed to feed and function with. Starline brass is great, and Lyman makes great, affordable dies.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i have an original and from what i know, can see, and have read, buffalo bore ammo or similar would end the life of one of these guns pretty quickly, if not instantly; the strength of these guns is more comparable to a muzzle loader than to a modern rifle. nowhere near the strength of a 94 much less a 92.
cable
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Forgot to mention that if nothing else the COL is a critical dimension, even in the original chamberings.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hobie wrote:Forgot to mention that if nothing else the COL is a critical dimension, even in the original chamberings.
Bingo. That is why all of the cartridges it is currently chambered in right now (the .56-50 centerfire, the .45 Schofield and the .44 Russian) are kinda stubby! :D
Timothy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Timothy »

I think at close range with accurate shot placement on a broad side shot even a sammi spec 45 colt out of a spencer barrel would take a deer. I dont think it would at 200yards quartering away with a round nose cowboy action bullet. So it depends on the conditions which depend on you, but yes I think the rifle can do it. Good luck
Newtire
Levergunner

Post by Newtire »

mklwhite wrote:Are the actions of the Spencer repeater strong enough to take amped up 45lc ammo (like Buffalo Bore)? How would it compare with the strength of the Win 92 and 94 actions?
Sorry, and don't mean to be rude but seems the guy had a legitimate question but was not given an answer to it. I too, would like to know the strength of the repro's action.

I wouldn't think of stoking any of the original guns with any kind of heavy load but I would like to know if this design of action is strong enough. Looking at it from a distance, it appears to have a long bearing surface on the locking surfaces but I could be missing something for sure.

So, does anyone know if these things will stand up to stout handloads loaded to recommended specs. out of a reliable source? It's come down to a choice between one of these or a Marlin 94 and would rather have a Spencer for sure!
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Sorry, and don't mean to be rude but seems the guy had a legitimate question but was not given an answer to it.
:lol: , you will notice that around here :lol: Seems that opinions here are sometimes more important than the answer !
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Newtire wrote:
mklwhite wrote:Are the actions of the Spencer repeater strong enough to take amped up 45lc ammo (like Buffalo Bore)? How would it compare with the strength of the Win 92 and 94 actions?
Sorry, and don't mean to be rude but seems the guy had a legitimate question but was not given an answer to it. I too, would like to know the strength of the repro's action.

I wouldn't think of stoking any of the original guns with any kind of heavy load but I would like to know if this design of action is strong enough. Looking at it from a distance, it appears to have a long bearing surface on the locking surfaces but I could be missing something for sure.

So, does anyone know if these things will stand up to stout handloads loaded to recommended specs. out of a reliable source? It's come down to a choice between one of these or a Marlin 94 and would rather have a Spencer for sure!

i have an original spencer 56/52 centerfire [ rare version ] the repros have better steel but overall its not a strong lock up type design. if you want to plink with it, it certainly will handle colt saa / 'cowboy' level loads....and the manufacturer says those loads are safe. ruger type loads would likely wear it out, if not outright destruct it. it is fast to reload IF you use the blakeslee loading tubes [ i have a set , a company reproduces them ] ....firing, you have to cock the hammer and work the lever....so not as fast as most lever guns

i have heard of a few folks who hunt deer with them.. and they really are a neat, fun piece of history.
Last edited by hfcable on Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cable
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Newtire wrote:

Dude, you're responding to a 9 year old thread. :roll:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I was wondering about that, how the devil do these old dead threads get resurrected? :lol:
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

jnyork wrote:I was wondering about that, how the devil do these old dead threads get resurrected? :lol:

From people with a post count of 4 since they registered in 2010. :wink:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Hobie wrote:Originals have every appearance of being iron, not steel. So, not for originals (I know you aren't thinking that, but somebody is).

As to the new ones, my question is why? In the smaller cartridges they are a pain, heavy as heck for caliber, in the original chambering they are usable (for deer, the only reason to ramp one up), but more an exercise in experiencing the old times than in creating a super-dooper-deer-killer. For that a Winchester 92 clone (or Marlin 1894 or Winchester 1894) is much more suitable.
Read your obit. :mrgreen: Like that other fellow, I'm glad the reports of your death are unfounded. :wink:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I'd imagine a modern repro might handle a standard-load .45 Colt without much trouble, but if you can move a 350 gr. bullet 1000 fps with the original chambering using BP -- why bother? :wink:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Well, the way I see it is if you know enough about Buffalo Bore ammo then why would you ask to put 35k ammo in a 15k gun that everyone, including you, knows was developed in the Civil War 150 years ago. Make sense?

Wait...let me rephrase that.....yea, go ahead...it's safe.....in fact, I would pull the bullets from the Buffalo Bore and load it with 40 grains of Bullseye and a magnum large rifle primer but before you fire it, pour hot lead down the barrel and let it harden real good. It will give you the bang of your life. :D ----6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

With 40 grs. of bullseye, I wonder what the velocity would be ?

Of the parts that would be a flyin :mrgreen: In all directions :lol:

"Sure it's fun until somebody puts an eye out" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !