Diameter of ring for pre-64 M94 SRC

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SAF
Levergunner

Diameter of ring for pre-64 M94 SRC

Post by SAF »

I have a new production ring and stud for my 1923 M94 SRC. The ring is 4mm diameter. Were the originals a larger diameter, possibly about 6mm diameter?
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: Diameter of ring for pre-64 M94 SRC

Post by Malamute »

The original rings I've seen are not very thick. I don't know metric sizes other than I know 5mm is about .20" diameter, and this sounds about right for the stock used for the rings being smaller (4mm)than that. I'm sure they aren't 6mm (.243") diameter.

The ring was gone, half the work of getting rid of it was done, all you needed was a filler screw,....and you got another one? :shock:

:D
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
WIN 1894
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WIN 1894 »

The older Winchester Original saddle ring was approx. 1"dia. and thickness was 1/8". I still have some Factory Originals and just measured them for you. If you need any further info feel free to send me an email. :) :)
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Win 1894, is right on the measurements I have also.
This picture is from my 1927 SRC M94

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

When those guns were made (pre-64), such measurements (millimeters) were "foreign", and not used in American made arms.

US manufacturers operated on the decimal system - not metric.

SAF
Levergunner

Post by SAF »

I must apoligize here. I did a measured thickness of the ring using a metric caliper which gave me a 4mm diameter. That would be 5/32" or .156" for the ring diameter.
I would like someone to do a measured thickness of an original Winchester pre-64 ring with a caliper to see what difference there is from an original and a new production ring.
The reason I'm asking this is that the stud I have looks correct but the ring thickness looks smaller than an original which would account for "slop" between the ring and stud. Simply put, either the ring diameter is to small, which I believe is the case or the stud hole is to big, or a little bit of both. I have a clanky ring.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Not to hijack your topic but I saw a 94 at the show today with the ring installed on the RIGHT side of the receiver... My only thought was "good googa mooga." Yes, I know you won't be doing that... Just had to share.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

SAF wrote:I must apoligize here. I did a measured thickness of the ring using a metric caliper which gave me a 4mm diameter. That would be 5/32" or .156" for the ring diameter.
I would like someone to do a measured thickness of an original Winchester pre-64 ring with a caliper to see what difference there is from an original and a new production ring.
The reason I'm asking this is that the stud I have looks correct but the ring thickness looks smaller than an original which would account for "slop" between the ring and stud. Simply put, either the ring diameter is to small, which I believe is the case or the stud hole is to big, or a little bit of both. I have a clanky ring.

1927 Ring - .178 & 1.90

1994 Ring - .160 & 1.62
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

"... Simply put, either the ring diameter is to small, which I believe is the case or the stud hole is to big, or a little bit of both. I have a clanky ring."

They are all clanky for the most part, old or new, which is one of the reasons I remove them. I've seen so many fine old carbines with spots rubbed off from the (expletive deleted) ring. They were a holdover from cavalry days, and Winchester's desire to sell guns to the US military. Contrary to popular notion, the original idea was to carry the gun by a sling looped over the body with large snap to fasten to the ring, to carry the gun while riding, not hanging it from a loop of leather over the saddle horn. Winchester called them sling rings, not saddle rings, that term came much later. The only person I know that actually ever carried a Winchester carbine from a loop of leather over the saddle horn lost it and almost never found it, it's very insecure, and there is little real historial evidence of anyone actually carrying them that way. A large number of old carbines have the rings and/or studs sawed off or unscrewed. Good plan in my opinion, I dislike them immensely.

There has been some recent interest in carrying a carbine from a sling ring set-up, but I prefer a regular rifle sling, I find them much more practical for general use. Just me.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?