OT - Winchester 37 shotgun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Winchester 37 shotgun

Post by rjohns94 »

Need your opinions on the Winchester 37. What should I look for. Found some nice ones with clean wood and bluing. I am hoping to get some good feedback. Did they have a hamerless and hammered version? I think they were offered in 5 calibers, .410, 20, 16, 12, and ???
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Winchester 37 shotgun

Post by C. Cash »

All Mod. 37's were "Semi-Hammerless"....the hammer does not strike the firing pin itself but just operates to pull back the internal mainspring/firing pin, which is what strikes the primer. They are solid, full choked guns and great for turkey or rabbits. They have some class to them that other singles do not in my opinion and feel wonderful in the hand. They were made from 1937-63....over a million produced. The "Red Letter" versions bring more...having a redlettered "Winchester" on the bottom of the receiver. The rarer gauges also bring more money. The followup Winchester single shot, the Canadian made Mod. 37A was brought out in the 70's and is a different gun...worth a good bit less but a solid gun. The fore end/barrel attachement thing on the Mod. 37 is kind of a nightmare until you figure it out, but I can do it blind folded now. I treasure mine as it was my Grandfather's gun

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

C Cash is well armed right there.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

They also had a 37Y model in 20 ga. which was a youth model. Stock was shorter. Both my Son's learned to shoot SG, with the 37Y.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I had one in 20GA and it would kill crows at a measured 50 yds. It sold me on 20 gauge guns.
I lost it once under a snow drift when it bounced out of the back of my Land Rover, the local preacher found it with his metal detector. Tough well made guns! :)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thanks OS. I would add that they were offered in all the standard Gauges.....with 28 Gauge being the most rare and valuable. In my old 1992 Gun Traders guide it lists the 28 Gauge at over 600 dollars in pristine form. I don't know what current Mod. 37's are going for, but if you really wanted one you could be picky/patient and get a good one for 300 bucks or less in the other gauges.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

I had a 12 ga my dad bought in Karnes City in the 50's for $5 and I sold it about 15 years ago for $75. It was death on your shoulder but killed equally well on the other end. My uncle shot a few bear and mountain lion with it in the 60's before he moved away from their ranch in New Mexico.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I inherited a 12ga. with a 36" full choke barrel. I do not believe it has ever been shot. What would it be worth?
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

depends on condition, at 98% in 12 ga with goose barrel, $350 or so.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

buckeyeshooter wrote:I inherited a 12ga. with a 36" full choke barrel. I do not believe it has ever been shot. What would it be worth?
Well I disagree with Mike....since you inherited it, it PRICELESS! :wink: :)
Last edited by C. Cash on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

C. Cash, I stand corrected sir, you are correct! :oops:
Mike Johnson,

OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

Very nice, Chris!
Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
End the cycle of hatred, don't give them a tomorrow.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

actually, my father collection was quite large. This particlar gun does not have sentimental value. The remington 22 pump that his dad bought in 1917 that my dad, my self and my brother all learned to shoot on. That one is priceless! thanks guys!