Best place to make holes on a Puma receiver

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Best place to make holes on a Puma receiver

Post by AJMD429 »

[this post may just SEEM like another dumb question, but it is really one of a series to thwart any "too many 'OT' posts on this forum" posts... :wink: ]

Which peep sights for the Pumas are easiest for an amateur (I can drill and tap but would need to buy 'bottom taps' if I had to drill shallow and thread it) to install on the Puma receiver?

I like my Williams 5D's because they are so compact, inexpensive, and once adjusted are nearly indestructable. I really don't adjust that kind of sight on a lever carbine, because I just sight in for 100 yards and leave them set.

It seems like drilling just on or behind the bolt channels would risk weakening an already stressed-to-the-max action if you did it to the .454 Casull, but that seems to be the place everyone mounts them.

The last 'simple' thing (put a one-piece Weaver scope base on a Rossi breakopen) I had a gunsmith do must have been done by Sr. Bubba himself - it was angled to the side, and bent down in the middle due to the barrel taper, so I'm kind of slow to warm up to gunsmiths right now. If I did have a gunsmith do it, any idea what a fair price would be?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Best place to make holes on a Puma receiver

Post by Pete44ru »

On a M-92 tpye action, I would D/T one hole on each side of the top of the action's side rails, near the rear, so an XS peep could straddle the bolt, cycling beneath it.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

This is the only closeup I could find of my carbine with the sight...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rwb
Levergunner

Post by rwb »

Marshall Stanton wrote a how to on beartooth bullets. I haven't tried it yet but, I think I will pay to have it done.

Russ

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tips/index.htm
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hobie wrote:This is the only closeup I could find of my carbine with the sight...
Is that sight mounted with holes on the left of the receiver, then?

Do the holes go clear through the left side of the receiver, or not?
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

AJMD429
I took a picture of my Win (miroku) 1892 that I D+T myself. I installed a Williams 5d sight for a model 94 Win, 336 Marlin etc. Both the holes are thru holes, you can see the locking bolt in rear hole. Hope this helps
Karl
Last edited by marlin shooter on Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AJMD429,

I don't have any pics, but I had the holes D&T'd for the receiver sight on my Rossi almost the same as marlin shooter. My holes were just a bit further to the rear. That way the Williams sight would be all the way to the rear, but not hanging over.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Thanks for the numerous responses (and photos!) - I think I'll do the deed in the next few weeks; gotta be sure I have the right drills and taps.

If I do the stainless .454 I'll do it last; I know stainless can be a real chore unless you have really perfect tools and technique.

Texican
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Texican »

Best place to make holes on a Puma receiver = under a drill press :D :D
Texican

Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic

klrhunter650
Levergunner

Post by klrhunter650 »

Hey guys. I haven't added much to the site so I thought I would share some pics of my '92. I just added the Williams 5D. I also removed the hammer block. AJMD429, the stainless was no sweat to drill and tap. Hope the pics help someone.

I also had to file down the back of the sight to make it fit the receiver swell without a gap.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Thanks for all the pics! Now if I can get the time to do it...!