OT-Help on SIG P220

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

OT-Help on SIG P220

Post by Dastook »

I know this has nothing to do with leverguns but I have not been able to get answerers to these questions anywhere else. I know you guys here have the answerers. I have a P220 in .45ACP that I truly love. It is my primary cary gun. I would like to know if the one I have has the slide machined from steel forging, or is it the old stamped slide with pinned-in breech block? I bought it in the late 90’s, but I have no idea how long it sat in the warehouse before I purchased it. I believe the frame is aluminum as it feels light. The serial is #G 309xxx. The slide also says: Made in Germany (but has none of the typical German proofmarks) & SIGSAUER/SIGARMS inc. Exeter, NH. It is my understanding SIG beefed up the frames/slides in about 1995. Is this when they went to machined CNC? Also, what is the advantage/disadvantage to the stamped/forged argument? Any help in this would be much appreciated. I have heard some conversation that the German made stamped slides are considered better than the newer CNC???
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT-Help on SIG P220

Post by cas »

I would assume you have a stamped slide, but I've never been able to keep those dates a such straight.

The most obvious tell tale sign is the pinned in breach block on the stamped slide. Also if you pull the slide back and look at the underside rear, the back end will be hollow on the stamped slide.

Machined slide / Stamped slide

I've owned a bunch of SIG's and I don't feel that there all that much difference for the user between the stamped and machined. The stamped ones seem to be a little lighter, and I prefer them for that reason for carry use.

I suppose the machine slide "should" be stronger in theory, due to being slightly thicker in some spots.
Slow is just slow.
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT-Help on SIG P220

Post by Dastook »

Thanks CAS. I knew this forum would have the answerers. I have the stamped slide as it looks like the one in your pictures.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.