OT - mountain land

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

OT - mountain land

Post by O.S.O.K. »

While driving back home this past week from Colorado (we were on vacation there) we came through an area that really turned me and the Mrs. on. We've been thinking about getting mountain property for some time but never pursued it.

Anyway, we decided it was time to start looking in this area. I did some research and it looks like we can afford to get a 35ish acreage there. This would be abutting the national forest land on one side of the big valley between ranges.

Water rights are different there - apparently the properties have "personal use" rights which allow you to use water for your house and buildings and livestock but you can't pull water for other reasons or dam or block streams, etc. - this is no problem. My primary concern is personal use and as long as that's intact, I'm good. None of the properties we are seeing have utilities and so you have to solar or wind, etc. I'm leaning towards wind with backup gasoline generator.

I'm wanting land to start that has water on it (most all seem to have water and many have live streams going through) - and that has good building sites for a cabin. I would build my own cabin and it would be rustic to start with - like using a pitcher pump for water in the "kitchen" area and a woodburning stove for cooking and heat. :)

Here's an example of one of the properties:

I know that some here live in the mountains and I'd appreciate advice, comments, etc.

This would be for eventual retirement location and for hunting, vacation, etc. in the mean time. The national forest is the San Isabel - southern areas.

I must also admit that it would be a backup or "bugout" location for us as well if ever needed.
Last edited by O.S.O.K. on Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT - mountain land

Post by AndyM »

Good for you - go for it.
I have always been told land is the best investment.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Dont hesitate for a minute. Do it now!! :!:
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

jnyork wrote:Dont hesitate for a minute. Do it now!! :!:
I'm planning on going for it ASAP - just need to close on our house expansion/remodel and pay-off the builder on the small balance - a few months and we should be ready.... or might have to push to the spring - but we are definately putting the plans together.

My wife wasn't really ready to go on this previously but now is. :)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3t- »

O.S.O.K

Great looking location. We also are in the mood for a "spot" for a cabin, retirement, vacation, etc.

If you don't mind can you give me a ballpark dollar amount on the 35ish acre plot, or per acre if you would rather.
regards

3T
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

O.S.O.K. wrote: and it would be rustic to start with - like using a pitcher pump for water in the "kitchen" area and a woodburning stove for cooking and heat. :)
Hey! Sounds like the way I LIVE here! :lol: We cook, heat water and heat our little 'cabin' with a woodstove. We run our whole place on a little Honda generator and next summer will be putting in our solar/hydro power system. So far we have over 6,000 hours on the generator with no problems and only a couple quarts of gas per day. All it needs to run is lights, computer, tv, coffee pot and our 115v waterpump.

Life is good up here on the hill!

Last edited by 44LVR on Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

the 35ish acre lots vary in price from $70K to $150K depending on specifics - location, well, live water, buildings, etc. Non have utilities and all access is gravel road.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

44LVR wrote:
O.S.O.K. wrote: and it would be rustic to start with - like using a pitcher pump for water in the "kitchen" area and a woodburning stove for cooking and heat. :) quote]

Hey! Sounds like the way I LIVE here! :lol: We cook, heat water and heat our little 'cabin' with a woodstove. We run our whole place on a little Honda generator and next summer will be putting in our solar/hydro power system. So far we have over 6,000 hours on the generator with no problems and only a couple quarts of gas per day. All it needs to run is lights, computer, tv, coffee pot and our 115v waterpump.

Life is good up here on the hill!

So, where are you? Not GPS location ;) just general local.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
gunslinger598
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gunslinger598 »

Having lived in the area of Southern Colorado about 23 years I'd suggest a couple things. See how far close properties have to go to hit well water.

Check for winter access

Some of those remote looking places actually have covenants. If it's part of a sub divided ranch it may not even allow hunting.

At one point in time they were dividing all properties to 35 acre parcels to keep them from qualifying for Ag. use.

Just a few things to consider and se how it applies to your situation.

Good Luck!
AQHA Life Member
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

O.S.O.K. wrote:So, where are you? Not GPS location ;) just general local.
Western Washington State, not too far from Mt St Helens :o In fact, I can walk out my back door into the timber and in about 17 miles I'll be to the mountain without ever crossing a blacktopped road, just logging roads :D :D

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

As mentioned a drilled well to 600 feet can be expensive, also how far from your building site the well is. Road construction is a cost to be factored with. Note weather the mineral rites come with the land or not. Coveniants are a real item if you are not careful you will end up with a pee pot full of issues. I live on 47 acres in the foothills in CO where there is a 35 acre minimum. Some folks stay less than two years others stay forever. You must be a little sef sufficent to live there, road plowing in the winter requires either a tractor of truck etc.
Good luck.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

44LVR - I've been in the area - beautiful! I'd like to live there too!

And dkmlever and gunslinger -thank you for the advice! That's what I was looking for - specific things to watch for. Covenants and mineral rights.

Here in Texas, mineral rights are all "gone" pretty much.

How about wind rights? Yes, wind rights - like the right to farm the wind on the property...

And it looks like maybe paying some more for an existing well isn't such a bad idea...

I'll have to make a list and start checking - again, thank you!
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

If you let me come live with you, I'll bring my TRACTOR!

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Yep, that's be handy for sure! I had a little ford similar to that but I sold it off when I moved intown. Tractors really retain their value!
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I recommend solar for a start. Here's why. I did what you are contemplating. If you are looking for simple comforts, for lower investments then 12 volt is the way to go. It is amazing the amount of things you can get to run on 12 volts. Just spend some time at a camper show. A quality 12 volt deep cycle battery costs less than $100 and lasts for years. I ran two of them. Solar chargers are not very expensive and do a good job of keeping the batteries charged all year around. My method was to build for electricity. Wiring, lights and everything. Then screwed 12 volt light bulbs in. The batteries were wired into the breaker panel. Now you flip on a switch and viola, light. There are 12 volt tvs, radios, coffee pots, fans and more. They just need a residential plug. Then when and if electricity comes, unhook the batteries and hook up the power and change the bulbs and anything 12 volt. Your in. As for heat, nothing beats the economy of chain saw gas. I can have weeks of heat for a dollars worth of gas. All it takes is a little work. Many hand can make this light work. For cooking, we found a 20 lb. propane bottle on a Coleman stove lasted over a year. That's right. A years cooking for less than $20. Granted there are many details not listed here but you may get the idea. Good luck.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

OSOK,

Go for it! Colorado is a beautiful state.

Also, as a side note someone posted some land that was available in Alaska not too long ago. Maybe they'll chime in and share the link.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

I didn't think I had it in my favorites but I did. Here is the link.

http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/mlw/landsale/otc/index.cfm

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Ok. I will be the wet blanket, if you don't mind. I will be putting down some random thoughts that come to mind regarding this land.

1. What water is available right now on the property? Are there anys streams flowing through it? How far down do you have to drill to hit the aquafier? When I was travelling in Montana I saw people lining up at a spring with all sorts of jugs and containers getting drinking water. I got the impression that many of these people did not have readily available running water at their homes. I know many people in the world live in this manner but if you're better half and family are used to flushing the bowl and running the tap, this may get old fast.

2. The land abutts national forest. Ok. So if you plant something to attract game on your land I suppose that I could legally sit at the property line on national forest and shoot whatever legal game in season happens to go to your crafted spot? I know it may blurr ethical lines but legally there is little you could do to me. As long as I am the legal distance from an occupied dwelling, it is good to go. Don't think others wouldn't do that same thing if they had the chance. Also. Could a logger get a contract to log the national forest land up to the property line? I am not sure but maybe there could be a huge clear cut bordering your land. That may be a good thing to attract game though. But you may want peace and quiet and a logging operation would not be very peaceful and quiet.

3. Why is this land being sold? Was it part of a larger parcel and being sold off for financial reasons? In addition, I'd querry other people in the area about the pros and cons of living in that locale.

4. What is the game population like? I heard on the 'net that Colorado had a very bad winter kill in many areas. I love snow and cold. My ideal type of environment to be out and about but I do know it is hard on wildlife. How bad was that area hit? What is the history of the winter kill in that area? As an example, in northern Maine( Ok. I know some are sick of me making comparisons to northern Maine regarding winter, deer yards, etc but it is the best comparison that I can make to hammer a point home) land is relatively cheap but the deer herd gets hammered during the winter. There was snow two feet deep in April which did not bode well for deer. So historically that area isn't the greatest place to get a deer. Is this area in Colorado the same? Also, it seems that most big game tags in Colorado have a draw system. Is this area in favor of getting picked? Will you go without due to the way it is put into a lottery? Here in the East most deer and bear tags are over the counter. In fact you can buy tags in season in most states. Not the case in many western states. If you don't get a deer tag or elk tag you will be going on a rockchuck safari.

5. East vs West. Ok. I was born and raised in Massachusetts but had the opportunity to travel to every state except Oregon and Hawaii. I spent many weeks in a tent all over and got a good idea of what the pros and cons are of each state. One of the things that I have noticed is that you can have 35 acres of land in the west and still see your neighbor. You can have 3.5 acres in the East and have the illusion that you are secluded. The biomes of the Rocky Mountain West are more arid and open forested. The conifer stands remind me of select cut woods back East. You may have 35 acres but will you have seclusion. In some areas you would need 3500 acres to achieve seclusion.

6. I like the idea of a retreat. I am all in favor of such a place especially in the interesting times that we live in now. Assume the effluent hits the oscillator and you and your loved ones bug out. How far are you from this place? As an example, I thought of getting a piece of property in Maine. The main road to Maine is Rte 95. Well, on the weekends it is basically a moving parking lot from about Chelmsford Massachusetts to Portland Maine. I was caught in that mess a couple of times and it cemented my thinking. I would not buy any land in the Pine Tree State unless I lived in it. Will yoru place in the Centennial State be the same? Will you have to drive in a moving parking lot to get to it?

7. How does your wife feel about it? At first she may say yes to please you because she loves you. It is human nature, especially from a good woman. But will she be in a perpetual state of sadness? She will be away from her family and contacts. I do believe it is harder for a woman to make such a break than a man. One time when hunting bear in Jackman Maine I chatted with the guide. I asked him about moving up here( at the time I was unattached and free as a bird, so to speak) He said I should and I would be welcomed. After further discussion he said the two biggest things that make people move out are the weather and lack of amenities, ie shopping,etc. He said there is a turn over every five years or so. The problem is that a man's wife will complain that she has to drive 90 miles south to Skowhegan or 70 miles north to St. George Quebec to get to some sort of mall or shopping center. Also , winter would be two weeks or so early and two weeks or so late in leaving. He stated that was a huge factor for many people. Something to cogitate about.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Gobblerforge wrote:I recommend solar for a start. Here's why. I did what you are contemplating. If you are looking for simple comforts, for lower investments then 12 volt is the way to go. It is amazing the amount of things you can get to run on 12 volts. Just spend some time at a camper show. A quality 12 volt deep cycle battery costs less than $100 and lasts for years. I ran two of them. Solar chargers are not very expensive and do a good job of keeping the batteries charged all year around. My method was to build for electricity. Wiring, lights and everything. Then screwed 12 volt light bulbs in. The batteries were wired into the breaker panel. Now you flip on a switch and viola, light. There are 12 volt tvs, radios, coffee pots, fans and more. They just need a residential plug. Then when and if electricity comes, unhook the batteries and hook up the power and change the bulbs and anything 12 volt. Your in. As for heat, nothing beats the economy of chain saw gas. I can have weeks of heat for a dollars worth of gas. All it takes is a little work. Many hand can make this light work. For cooking, we found a 20 lb. propane bottle on a Coleman stove lasted over a year. That's right. A years cooking for less than $20. Granted there are many details not listed here but you may get the idea. Good luck.
Gobbler
WOW - GOOD INFORMATION THANKS! WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT WITH "CHAIN SAW GAS" THOUGH? GAS WITH OIL MIXED?
----------------------
Bigbore442001 wrote:
Ok. I will be the wet blanket, if you don't mind. I will be putting down some random thoughts that come to mind regarding this land.

1. What water is available right now on the property? Are there anys streams flowing through it? How far down do you have to drill to hit the aquafier? When I was travelling in Montana I saw people lining up at a spring with all sorts of jugs and containers getting drinking water. I got the impression that many of these people did not have readily available running water at their homes. I know many people in the world live in this manner but if you're better half and family are used to flushing the bowl and running the tap, this may get old fast.

GOOD POINT - MANY DO HAVE STREAMS AND THERE ARE WELLS ON SOME - WILL DEFINATELY GET THIS SQUARED BEFORE MAKING A BUY.

2. The land abutts national forest. Ok. So if you plant something to attract game on your land I suppose that I could legally sit at the property line on national forest and shoot whatever legal game in season happens to go to your crafted spot? I know it may blurr ethical lines but legally there is little you could do to me. As long as I am the legal distance from an occupied dwelling, it is good to go. Don't think others wouldn't do that same thing if they had the chance. Also. Could a logger get a contract to log the national forest land up to the property line? I am not sure but maybe there could be a huge clear cut bordering your land. That may be a good thing to attract game though. But you may want peace and quiet and a logging operation would not be very peaceful and quiet.

NEED TO CHECK COVENANTS AS TO HUNTING ON THE PROPERTY (AND I'M NOT BUYING IF THERE'S ANY) BUT HUNTING ON STATE FOREST DURING SEASONS IS WHAT I INTEND - JUST WALK/RIDE MY DIRT BIKE OR ATV OUT IF NOT OFF-LIMITS AND HUNT.

3. Why is this land being sold? Was it part of a larger parcel and being sold off for financial reasons? In addition, I'd querry other people in the area about the pros and cons of living in that locale.

YEP, GOOD POINT - WE WILL DEFINATELY BE CHECKING WITH LOCAL FOLKS - BORDERING LAND OWNERS, FOLKS AT THE CAFE IN TOWN, ETC.

4. What is the game population like? I heard on the 'net that Colorado had a very bad winter kill in many areas. I love snow and cold. My ideal type of environment to be out and about but I do know it is hard on wildlife. How bad was that area hit? What is the history of the winter kill in that area? As an example, in northern Maine( Ok. I know some are sick of me making comparisons to northern Maine regarding winter, deer yards, etc but it is the best comparison that I can make to hammer a point home) land is relatively cheap but the deer herd gets hammered during the winter. There was snow two feet deep in April which did not bode well for deer. So historically that area isn't the greatest place to get a deer. Is this area in Colorado the same? Also, it seems that most big game tags in Colorado have a draw system. Is this area in favor of getting picked? Will you go without due to the way it is put into a lottery? Here in the East most deer and bear tags are over the counter. In fact you can buy tags in season in most states. Not the case in many western states. If you don't get a deer tag or elk tag you will be going on a rockchuck safari.

YES THERE WAS A GAME KILL DUE TO SEVERE WINTER SNOWS - BUT THIS IS CYCLICAL. THERE IS NO DRAW FOR THE STATE FOREST THAT I KNOW OF - ONLY SELECTED MANAGEMENT AREAS - I DO NEED TO VERIFY THIS AREA THOUGH.

5. East vs West. Ok. I was born and raised in Massachusetts but had the opportunity to travel to every state except Oregon and Hawaii. I spent many weeks in a tent all over and got a good idea of what the pros and cons are of each state. One of the things that I have noticed is that you can have 35 acres of land in the west and still see your neighbor. You can have 3.5 acres in the East and have the illusion that you are secluded. The biomes of the Rocky Mountain West are more arid and open forested. The conifer stands remind me of select cut woods back East. You may have 35 acres but will you have seclusion. In some areas you would need 3500 acres to achieve seclusion.

IM NOT WANTING TO BE A HERMIT :) JUST HAVE MY OWN SPOT TO SCRATCH AROUND ON.

6. I like the idea of a retreat. I am all in favor of such a place especially in the interesting times that we live in now. Assume the effluent hits the oscillator and you and your loved ones bug out. How far are you from this place? As an example, I thought of getting a piece of property in Maine. The main road to Maine is Rte 95. Well, on the weekends it is basically a moving parking lot from about Chelmsford Massachusetts to Portland Maine. I was caught in that mess a couple of times and it cemented my thinking. I would not buy any land in the Pine Tree State unless I lived in it. Will yoru place in the Centennial State be the same? Will you have to drive in a moving parking lot to get to it?

WE ARE ABOUT 12 HOURS FROM THIS SPOT RIGHT NOW - WOULD HAVE TO GET THROUGH SOME TRAFFIC (AUSTIN) BUT ONCE PAST YOU'RE IN RURAL TEXAS - AND ONLY CONSIDERATION IS AVAILABILITY OF GAS AT THE STATIONS.

7. How does your wife feel about it? At first she may say yes to please you because she loves you. It is human nature, especially from a good woman. But will she be in a perpetual state of sadness? She will be away from her family and contacts. I do believe it is harder for a woman to make such a break than a man. One time when hunting bear in Jackman Maine I chatted with the guide. I asked him about moving up here( at the time I was unattached and free as a bird, so to speak) He said I should and I would be welcomed. After further discussion he said the two biggest things that make people move out are the weather and lack of amenities, ie shopping,etc. He said there is a turn over every five years or so. The problem is that a man's wife will complain that she has to drive 90 miles south to Skowhegan or 70 miles north to St. George Quebec to get to some sort of mall or shopping center. Also , winter would be two weeks or so early and two weeks or so late in leaving. He stated that was a huge factor for many people. Something to cogitate about.

MY WIFE LOVES THE MOUNTAINS - I DO TOO, BUT I'D BE HAPPY WITH TEXAS LAND HALF HOUR OR SO AWAY FROM HOME BUT SHE REALLY LOVES THE MOUNTAINS. BELIEVE ME - SHE DOESN'T GO ALONG WITH STUFF JUST TO PLEASE ME :) I WOULDN'T ALLOW THAT ANYWAY - WE ARE A TEAM AND DO THINGS TOGETHER. AS TO SHOPPING, WE HAVE DONE MORE AND MORE VIA THE INTERNET AND THE BBT BRINGS OUR STUFF - I SAW BBT'S IN THIS AREA.... ;)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
mav
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mav »

The wife and I visited our son in Colorado two weeks ago. We were told that most streams/rivers were much higher than normal for that time of year (Colorado had record snowfalls last winter). You may want to investigate if some of the streams you saw were "wet weather" streams. Just a thought. Good luck on your search.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

mav wrote:The wife and I visited our son in Colorado two weeks ago. We were told that most streams/rivers were much higher than normal for that time of year (Colorado had record snowfalls last winter). You may want to investigate if some of the streams you saw were "wet weather" streams. Just a thought. Good luck on your search.
Yes, caveat emptor - we will want a good well for sure. The streams are a nice thing but not the the thing.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

O.S.O.K. wrote: WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT WITH "CHAIN SAW GAS" THOUGH? GAS WITH OIL MIXED?
Yes. My statement was to illustrate that dollar for dollar, nothing is cheaper than fire wood for heat unless you have free gas. Now some may argue the point, but this is how I break it down. Most folks go to work, make a days pay, then give it to the heating company. Weather it is gas, oil, electricity or what have you. By figuring the cost per month of heating and the number of days it takes to earn that amount, then you know how much work it takes to heat the house. My method requires two days work to heat the house for over a month. That's cutting, hauling, splitting, stacking and cleanup. to me thats fair and I never had to work for someone else to get it done. I live on my terms and at my pace to achieve my needs. That's just my way. I know it's not for everyone but then neither is wearing a tie. Not for me. I had extra time this spring and by putting my effort towards fire wood, I am now sitting here with this winters wood already stacked and some for the following winter and I'm not done. I usually cut in the fall. Not counting my time I don't have $100 into next winters heating bill yet. It doesn't hurt that I enjoy the sweat and work and satisfaction of being self reliant.
Good luck. Gobbler
Click Click Boom
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Go for it...
Dont wait like I did...
I had a chance to buy 35 acres in the cool mountains
of Montana 20 years ago for 9000 smackers
Now I'm sitting on 1 acre in Hot Florida :evil: :evil:
Please go for it...So I can come and visit! :wink: :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
popeye44
Levergunner

Post by popeye44 »

RF
Why not trade that HOT Florida acre for some COOL Colorado acres. :D
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

The fact that your wife is all in favor of the move and knows what to expect is a great plus. I will be honest, I wished I was in that position but I don't know how I could make a living there. I don't think that there is much of a demand for people who teach drug addicted and alcoholic teenage boys for some reason.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

That is certainly pretty country!

Is catching rainwater an option or is most precipitation in the form of snow? I am reliant on rainwater and have the capacity to hold 30,000 gallons.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

A thought about logging being done next to your rural mountain land.It happened to me just last year. I was apprehensive about it when I saw the flagging showing up. They came ,logged, cleaned up and left. The logged area is already brushing up and the deer like it and moose are beginning to show up.I don't have to worry about any drastic logging activity for the next 60-80 years.I'm actually glad it is a done deal and no longer a looming concern. Just my thoughts.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

As a licenced General Contractor in CO, I am unaware of any county that does not have building codes. In fact, I took a short vacation with the wife about a month ago down to Mesa Verde and there are signs along the highway that state just that, building codes enforced. My point is that building something rustic and running it on 12V is not going to happen. You will be required to meet minimum building codes which includes standard electric and plumbing codes. As a GC in a remote area that is off the grid, I routinely designed and installed alternative energy systems, including the system that runs my home. You are talking a minimum outlay of 10K for a system that will supply basic needs. This system will require a battery bank with sufficient storage, an inverter, PV panels, wind generator, and backup generator. You can avoid a large portion of this by using just a generator, but even with a propane powered unit plumbed into the main tank this will be somewhat costly, and if you are using gasoline, well, you've seen the prices. This means that when the gen is off, so is the power, and you will be down to kerosene or propane lighting. Also, I have yet to find any area in CO where streams or ponds are prevalent, and water rights are as you say for household use, and as a general rule do not extend to livestock. You may want to investigate this further. You will aslo find that the rainwater running off your roof belings to someone downstream and you are not allowed to collect it.

In summary, if I were you, I would look elsewhere. The fags and liberals from California are slowly but surely dominating CO politics and screwing it up as fast as they possibly can. Remember, Denver is hosting the DNC, that should tell you enough right there. In fact, if I'm guessing correctly the area you are describing, there are homosexual communities nearby.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Dang Frank, I hate it when you beat around the bush, and nobody knows what you really think about something.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

In the county I live in in Ohio, we have only had building codes for the last 8 years. All of those codes are on basic national standards. I would bet that there are countys out there in other states that are unregulated still. Even now we have few regulations. I built my garage in 2001. I went to the "new" building department to see what regulations there were before I started because where I was living was fully regulated and expected the same. I was told that "If you dont live in it, build what you want. Just make sure it is at least 10 feet off the property line." That's it. No regulations. They are good about wells and septics, but I never had a single inspection on my home I built in 2002. I built every thing to code or better because that is how I do things but it was not regulated or inspected. We can build a house with no electricity if we wish and there is nothing that says we have to.
Ohio is a rather populated and less rural state. I find it interesting that Co. is further advanced state wide, given some of the geography.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

You will aslo find that the rainwater running off your roof belongs to someone downstream and you are not allowed to collect it.
That really bites!!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Gobblerforge wrote:Ohio is a rather populated and less rural state. I find it interesting that Co. is further advanced state wide, given some of the geography.
Gobbler
Because of rampant growth due to major tech industry in both computor and aerospace, major military installations, a central hub for transportation and being a very desireable recreation state with easy access from TX and CA, CO has undergone some major changes in the last 20 years. Most of this can be blamed on Californians. I had a job designing an alternative system for a woman from CA who bought a 5 acre lot about a 1/2 mile from me. She wanted me to consult on placement at the site, and I pretty much had the job of doing the install nailed down. When I arrived she mentioned hearing gunfire earlier in the day. I let her know that this was common in our area as the remote and sparsely settled "subdivision" had no covenants against it, and it was legal. Her responce was that we should start a homeowners assoc and make a rule against it. I informed her that it would not be binding to anyone living in the sub prior to enactment, no one already living there would want it anyway, and that I was the one shooting and if she attempted such a thing I would begin target practice at promptly 8am every morning and continue till 5pm every day. That was 4 years ago. The milled logs she purchased are still sitting on the property and I believe she sold it to some Denverites. The first time they came out to visit I stepped out on my front porch and dumped 2 30 round mags from an AR into the 50yrd target out front. They have not been seen since either.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Make sure your wife can survive that far from a Wal-mart first, or a divorce lawyer will be living there.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Well, I live in the mountains, and my advise is to make sure you have water!

Sometimes getting a well in the high country means 500-1000 feet or not at all! Just because the guy down the road has a good well does mean you will. I would not buy any land that does not already have a well on it.

I see lots of folks who come into this area and buy themselves a little piece of heaven, only to discover that there is no water under it! I know one fella who has two 900-1000 feet deep post holes, and still no well. :shock: He finally went to a rain collection system, and now has more than he can use! :lol:

PS: Solar is the way to go if you are very far off the grid.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

My point is that building something rustic and running it on 12V is not going to happen.
This might still be possible in other states. I've talked to people that claim to live this way in the far west part of Texas around Big Bend. I wonder if it isn't possible in areas of New Mexico also, and northern New Mexico has mountains too.

My wife would be all in favor of owning a little cabin in Colorado or NM, but in the areas that we like I don't think she could tolerate the winters. (Actually I'm not sure if I could either, but maybe we'll visit there a few times this upcoming winter and check it out.)
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

bj94 wrote:
My point is that building something rustic and running it on 12V is not going to happen.
This might still be possible in other states. [/qoute] It is. WY is one I know of for sure. I was only speaking in reference to CO.
11B30
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

I know where a guy can buy 80 acres for $399K that's less than 25 minutes from downtown Eugene, OR. I wish I had $399K!

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

I live on 5 acres in WA ST. & agree & echo on what Griz Adams, bigbore442001, & sore shoulder wrote.

When we bought the land, electric, phone line, & well were in & site was septic approved.

If you are really set on buying land, find an attorney who specializes in real estate & have him/her look over all the documents. Some money spent up front can save you grief & a possible financial loss down the road.

If you’re building make sure there is a clause that the contractor will sign over the house free & clear of any & all liens. This saved my butt when the thief who built the house decided not to pay the flooring company & they tried to enforce a mechanics lien to the tune of $14,000.00. But since we had such a clause in the contract which was signed by the realtor/selling agent, the contractor & his partner, we didn’t pay, but the realtor & the contractor’s partner had to pony up the money since the contractor declared bankruptcy. As I said, get a lawyer before you sign anything or make a deposit.

Fire threat? In some areas, you can kiss you building(s) & possessions good bye. If you look for fire insurance you might be in for a surprise @ the rates.

Also find out where the boundaries are & how they are marked. When was it last surveyed?

I also been told by a realtor that if you land abuts Federal or State property be very sure which way the drainage flows. If it flows onto Federal/State land you just might be subject to more stringent codes so as not to pollute, harm, etc., the Federal/State land, flora & fauna, aquifers, etc. Same w/ any designated wetlands on the property.

How far away is the dentist, gas station, mechanic, etc. Things out in the boondocks are not any cheaper because of the transport costs involved.

But one thing which nobody has mentioned is: how far are or will you be from emergency facilities??

I heard of & know a few guys who didn’t make it to the hospital because they were “too far out” for the medics to get there in time or there just was no emergency services....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I hope you get everything you are looking for. Here is a link with some good information on options for power and building. I got lucky and the 100 acres I purchased in the 80s came with three oil wells, free gas for life with no houses in sightm, a full time stream, and all the mineral rights under 300 acres except oil.

http://www.homepower.com/home/
It is not the critic who counts
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Paladin, that's a sweet deal. If I were you, I'd convert my vehicles to run on propane! They won't go any faster, but the free fuel would be darn nice.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1