OT: Buying a Motorcycle - Need Input.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Buying a Motorcycle - Need Input.

Post by Grizz »

One financing option to consider: if you have some cash in a savings and loan you can usually borrow against it at very favorable rates, and pay cash for the bike, which might help with price if they know it's either/or out the door, although demand seems to be rising as more people are looking for cheaper commutes. Also, it makes the "slightly used" market available too.

Grizz
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I ride a 2006 Triumph American with their much improved big twin motor. Made in England. I'll post photos before long.

I get about 50 mpg which is better than my former 1982 750cc Kawasaki 750 twin delivered. The Triumph has better brakes, too. Triumph's vertical (parallel twin) revs up quicker than V twins with higher top end speed, too. Its a design that was very popular at one time. For me, the parallel twin is the only one I would consider.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

My old Yamaha 650 Special was a synchro twin... interesting to watch the forks bounce up an down at a low idle.... :mrgreen:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
dave in maine
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dave in maine »

both my goldwings were made in the us,an 83 1100,and an 87 1200,wish you lived closer,you could have the 83 for a song,it's been parked in the garage for over four years.of course part of the tune is bringing it back to running condition.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

Old Ironsights wrote:My old Yamaha 650 Special was a synchro twin... interesting to watch the forks bounce up an down at a low idle.... :mrgreen:
:lol: heading home on leave 1974.yamaha 650 XS2.I only lost 2 fillings :lol:

DAV life member.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Old Ironsights wrote:I'm totally with you... though I do think a 125 is too small for an urban zone. Yes, I know the Triumph's are 900s, I like the frames. But like I said, give me a good shot at a solid old CB400 twin or somthing similar in the 200 - 650cc range and I'm happy. Small enough to be handy, but have enough torque to get you out of the way if necessary.
It depends on the urban environment. You'd get eaten alive in Chicago or about any other US urban center. But in our lil' town of a half million it's about perfect. Yeah, I'd love to have a 250 or 500 but not enough to try to find the $$$ it would take. The 125 is the largest you can buy and not have to pay yearly tax on it. Anything larger and you've got to pay a yearly tax. Most of the bikes are between 80-100 CC's around here. BUT we don't have the massive fourlane system that y'all do up north. Anything much larger than my lil' scoot and you'll be stuck in traffic. The smaller bikes are nimble and able to maneuver through traffic such as folks in the US have never seen. :) It's a WHOLE 'NOTHER ball game down here...
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

'99 883 converted to 1200. 15,000 miles, no problems. 45 mpg. Nimble, a lot of torque, no problem outrunning "cagers" on the highway, but you have to watch constantly or they'll kill you using advanced "I am blind and stupid" or "I don't give a darn" techniques.
I prefer a carburated Harley; easy to work on.
Deerwhacker is right about the Hondas - they're magnificently engineered machines. But he's wrong about Harleys built after the mid 80's - my buddy Darren has a '96 Sporty with a lot of miles and neither of us has had a mechanical issue with our bikes. Take care of it, it takes care of you.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

I couldn't be happier with the Honda purchase. Its cheaper on insurnace, total price, and gets about 53mpg. My wife still wants us to get a pair of Harley's one day but for now the Honda seems to fit the role I need it for.
Besides, I think I saved enough money to look into another gun purchase for this fall. 8)

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

homefront wrote:I prefer a carburated Harley; easy to work on. Deerwhacker is right about the Hondas - they're magnificently engineered machines. But he's wrong about Harleys built after the mid 80's - my buddy Darren has a '96 Sporty with a lot of miles and neither of us has had a mechanical issue with our bikes. Take care of it, it takes care of you.

I remember an old Diet Coke commercial from the early to mid 80's... Part of it said "just for the style of it" - and had a guy pushing a Harley... I nearly fell out of my chair laughing the first time I saw it - and it still brings a grin to my face. Yep, folks tell me that Harleys have come a long way since then and that they're solid, reliable bikes. I'm glad to hear it. The old Honda CB500Four I was riding back in the mid 80's never gave me a lick of trouble - I miss it still. It may not have had the "soul" of a Harley, but it sure was a blast to ride. A prior owner had installed custom handlebars and extended forks and a loud exhaust system. It was smooth and even though it was "only a 500" it was a blast on the highway too. Would I ride a Harley? Sure. But not "just because it's a Harley". For me any vehicle I own has got to be reliable and affordable. And with base models of Harleys selling in the 20,000 US range - well, it's not going to happen while we're living down here. :)
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

First ride I took on a sportster was about 1970 in San Francisco. It was a friends and he had just finished rebuilding the engine. Hadn't even cranked it up yet and I asked if I could ride it. He said sure, just don't exceed xxxx rpm, I don't remember the exact figure. I got out on route one where there was some room and watched the tach as I accelerated in second. When I hit the rpm limit I was doing 70 with 2 gears to go. At the time I thought that was one of the biggest smiles you could get outdoors.

As a contrast my R-50 could not exceed 85 mph in top gear downhill with a tailwind...
steveb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by steveb »

homefront wrote:'99 883 converted to 1200. 15,000 miles, no problems. 45 mpg. Nimble, a lot of torque, no problem outrunning "cagers" on the highway, but you have to watch constantly or they'll kill you using advanced "I am blind and stupid" or "I don't give a darn" techniques.
I prefer a carburated Harley; easy to work on.
Deerwhacker is right about the Hondas - they're magnificently engineered machines. But he's wrong about Harleys built after the mid 80's - my buddy Darren has a '96 Sporty with a lot of miles and neither of us has had a mechanical issue with our bikes. Take care of it, it takes care of you.
Nice scoot Homefront. Sportsters a true classics. Are you a member of the http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/index.php by any chance? TONS of info on sportys over there. I found this thread late (been away for a good long while) I know but heres a few pics of my '98 883.

My ugly mug :)

I like carbs as well and one of the first things I done was replace the stock backplate and restrictive filter with the NRHS hurricane flow backplate, K&N filter, and a proper rejet of the carb. It breaths much better now.

bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Think this 64 harley was my last bike. My daughter is close to 30 now! I had 3 harleys a guzzi, 3 750 enfields, a 58 triumph, and some more britt bikes. Sure miss them! Cant understand why the picture didnt post? I will try again tomorrow.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

steveb,

Back at ya, nice ride.

I did like you - Screamin' Eagle intake, K&N, Cycle Shack (Screamin' Eagle) slip ons, Single Fire ignition.

Unlike you, I'm getting too old for this stuff :mrgreen: . Time for a Civic or something, and a dirtbike to play with.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

bogus bill wrote:Cant understand why the picture didnt post? I will try again tomorrow.

That's easy. Computers are DUMB. They don't understand anything except exactly what is typed - and therefore are allergic to typos. :) You had a space between the [ and the IMG tag and the forum program didn't recognize the tag. I took out the extra space and voilá!, you've got a pic...
Paul - in Pereira

Last Spike
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Last Spike »

Nice bike thread. I'm in the same boat - will be getting a bike once I take the Alberta Safety Council's beginner riders course and get my licence as well as quality safety equipment.

Still not sure if I want to go with a dual sport which would allow me to do some offroad biking/scouting before hunting season or a cruiser like the Honda 750 Shadow or similar. I do know that I want something that is as low maintenance as possible and durable. Whether I get one this fall or wait until next spring, I'm in no rush at present.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Had a Honda 305 Superhawk - put in into a drainage ditch - let's see that was about 37 years ago. That was it. :o
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Last Spike wrote:Still not sure if I want to go with a dual sport which would allow me to do some offroad biking/scouting before hunting season or a cruiser like the Honda 750 Shadow or similar. I do know that I want something that is as low maintenance as possible and durable. Whether I get one this fall or wait until next spring, I'm in no rush at present.

Well, for off road biking/scouting I used to use my old Honda CB500Four that had extended forks on it. Not really a chopper, but it did sit back a bit and have a bit more clearance than stock bikes. Didn't do any jumping but did ride it all over SW MO's chat piles. Found some good squirrel woods as well as a flooded mine shaft or so full of bass and bluegills. It's not ideal, but you'd be surprised at where you can take a "street bike" if you've half a mind to do so. My lil' GN125H now does that kind of duty. Each time I go looking at bikes the nearly $6,000 price tag for a 200 CC enduro or dual purpose ride convinces me I don't need on. I'm not sure WHY they're so expensive down here, but my lil' scooter will do just fine - thank you. :D
Paul - in Pereira

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

This has been a very interesting thread. I've been looking at buying a bike for many years, and have had many offers to buy someone's good ride when they've decided to move on to another. I first learned to ride on a suicide clutch Indian (don't know if I could still ride one), then a Harley bagger, with a Sportster in the late '60s before I got married. When I do buy, it'll probably be a Harley, although I've had metrics (all off-road except a Yamaha 650 twin back in the early '70s), but comfort and ride ease has become the more desirable trait for me.

The new for 2009 Cross Bones™ has a certain... appeal? :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

They dont take up a lot of room if stowed right... and are a heckof a lot easier to get around town in than a bobtail.... :wink: :lol:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

As an "old-timer", our rule of thumb was to ride a bike with a dispalcement of at least one cc for every pound of your body weight - otherwise you were underpowered.

Having owned most breeds of bikes, I confess my true love is the "Airheads" - air cooled boxers from BMW - discontinued in 1994 - sad - those were good bikes that, with a little help from pros - owners could do at least 95% of the maintenance needed.

My 1977 R100S Beemer - still going strong enough to draw attention from the fuzz if I'm not careful. I get senior discounts there, though - but that's another story. :D

As always - YMMV - However, I think Steve McQueen hit the nail on the head when he said motorcycling is the world's greatest sport but, as a method of routine transportation, it's just not practical.

:mrgreen:

OJ KING, MD
CHARTER LIFE MEMBER AMERICAN MOTORCYCLIST ASSOCIATION (not medical)
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

BMW...i'd still be riding my beloved beemers if i hadn't nearly lost a leg a few years ago.

i started off in 1959 on a '49 indian...over the years i had lots of motorcycles; american, british and japanese... none was as good or dependable, good handling and durable as the BMW. (economical, too. my last beemer (krt75) got 55mpg)

i still "get the urge" when i see one... :cry:
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

donw wrote:BMW...i'd still be riding my beloved beemers if i hadn't nearly lost a leg a few years ago.

i started off in 1959 on a '49 indian...over the years i had lots of motorcycles; american, british and japanese... none was as good or dependable, good handling and durable as the BMW. (economical, too. my last beemer (krt75) got 55mpg)

Honda makes a Silver Wing. A very High End scoot with a 650cc and automatic tranny.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

donw wrote:BMW...i'd still be riding my beloved beemers if i hadn't nearly lost a leg a few years ago.

I sure feel for you, Bud - at least you had the experience that counted. I look back to the HD with the tank mounted shifter and the "suicide clutch" (on the 1927 HD we bought for $15.00) worked with the left foot - it's been a lot of fun and I hope for more years but, I'm grateful for the many years I've had with the "bikes".

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I have been lucky enough to have been riding motorcycles from the 1st one I bought in 1974 at Ft Hood TX. Have tried most of them and when I got back from Iraq in 2003 got a 99 BMW KLT1200 that gets 55 to 65 MPG (65 MPG in Colorado above 5000 ft) and it beats everything I have had before. Some great deals on Ebay motors and lots of bike setting in garages, waiting to be sold. The BMW had 2300 miles on it when I got it and looked brand new. Tire only last about 10000 to 13000 mile and I am not in a hurry anymore. I call it my sissy bike but when it get cold outside I do turn on the seat heaters.
It is not the critic who counts
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I've been riding motorcycles for close to 40 years now. I've owned everything from Husqvarna dirt bikes to Gold Wings. I'm currently riding a Harley Electra Glide and it's the BEST motorcycle I've ever owned. This one is a 2007 model, before it I owned a perfectly fine 2005 model that I traded to get a bigger motor and six speed transmission. All in all I'd guess I have close to a half million miles on two wheels.

First things first, to anyone who is buying a bike to save money ... forget it. A set of motorcycle tires will run you at least $200, and that's just for the tires. Tack on at least another hundred to have them mounted. And it's a rare MC tire that lasts 10,000 miles. Other maintenance items are equally costly. Any fuel savings will quickly be eaten up by the added maintenance costs.

You would be far better off to spend your money on a Honda civic, GEO metro, or some other little econobox.

I live in Texas now, near Fort Worth. I'm in the metroplex almost daily for work, and I DO NOT ride the Harley into DFW if I can avoid it. When I do, it's usually passing thru the metroplex to get somewhere on the other side. Every time I clear Dallas I feel like I survived running the gauntlet again and say a little prayer of thanks.

And we haven't even considered the weather. This time of year it's just too hot to enjoy riding. Living up north presents a whole new set of challenges come October or November. That little GEO metro is dry in the rain, warm in the winter, and has air conditioning in the summer. And at 40+ mpg it is just as good on gas as nearly any full size street bike.

I'm not against riding, not at all, I've been on two wheels for nearly 40 years minus the 4 years I was a starving airman trying to feed a family. I'll never give up riding, it's part of who I am. But buying a motorcycle to save money just doesn't make sense. If you want a bike, great ... buy one and enjoy it. Just don't kid yourself and think you'll save any money with it.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I have rode motorcycles for 35 years. I have had, British, Jap, and Harleys. I luv um all. I currently have only one in my stable. It is a 1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD. My lovely wife and I rode it away from our wedding 28 years ago. Now, to answer your question about what kind and all that sort of stuff. Get what YOU want and ride it. There will always be the ol arguments about what is better. They all have pluses and minus's. After 400,000 miles riding in the beautiful country I will tell you this. If you are just buying a bike to save gas, don't waste your time. By the time you make a payment, pay license and insurance, get proper protective gear and hit the road ( so to speak) you will have spent a fair amount of money. It won't pay for it's self any time soon. Then comes part two. You will be enjoying the ride to and from work, the store, or just an evening ride so much you will soon be making weekend rides, and then week long trips. The gas "savings" you were looking for will not happen, you will actually be spending more because you will be on the bike so much. There is no better way to see the sights this country has to offer than from the seat of a motorcycle.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

My last bike

My next bike

Excellent condition 1997 Blackbird 1100XX with under 15,000 miles. At the time of production, this was the fastest production bike on the market. The bike has never been dropped while riding. The bike was dropped once while parked. Very minor damage is shone in pictures.

Very firm $4,500. I won't budge on price and serious inquiries only (no free rides).
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30