OT-Case trimmer??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

OT-Case trimmer??

Post by Dastook »

I need to buy a new case trimmer. Which one would you all recommend. I don't want to spend more than $100 if I can help it. This one looks pretty good as it doesn't need any shell holders.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=635693
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT-Case trimmer??

Post by cnjarvis »

I've been using Lee's case trimmers for several years without problems so unless you're wanting to trim to a different length, that seems to me to be the least expensive way to go.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

I have the Redding w/ the micrometer head. Problem is the collet -- it is hard to get the case straight & get an even cut.

A bench rest shooter recommended the L.E. Wilson. I bought the micrometer head unit & stand from Sinclair International. It was not cheap, but L.E. Wilson & Sinclair sell the basic version for about US $45.00.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/cat ... type=store

W/ the Wilson, the shell is held in place in a case holder (sleeve) & the base of shell rests up against a threaded rod which will determine the length. A hand crank or drill accessory powers the unit.

I trimmed over 100 . 45 - 2.6” cases down to 2.412” in less than two hours & there was not much of a derivation, maybe .0005" -- if that much -- between the cases. It was so slight that my Mituyoyo caliper would barely read the difference.

I believe Midway carries Wilson tools. You’ll Adobe to open the Wilson 2008 on-line catalogue.

http://lewilson.com/images/2008_LE_Wils ... _Large.pdf
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

I use the Forster unit and highly recommend it. You'll be well under $100 and the kit comes with a few standard commonly-used collets and pilots. It does not have a micrometer, but it is still capable of making and holding very precise adjustments:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=614276

If you load for BPCR and other big stuff, I think you may need the Classic kit. I use the Original, and it does everything from .223 to .270 to .375 Win.

The Redding is a good unit, too. It is unique in that you turn the case against the blade, rather than vice versa as on all other trimmers. Whether that's a pro or a con, I have no idea, but I'd definitely take note of the related response above.

Scott
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I like the Lee ones. Inexpensive and yet well made.

The one thing I changed on mine was that LEE has a 'turned down' shell holder base (or whatever they call it - the part which holds the cartridge case) to fit in a drill/dremel/press, and it is sort of a good idea, but INSTEAD....

....I turned down the CUTTER so IT would fit in a drill/dremel/press, and it makes things MUCH faster, and just as accurate. You leave it chucked and turning with the cutter and the appropriate cartridge 'stud' (again, I don't know their nomenclature) installed. Then you just handle the brass cases and the shell holder - slip 'em in, tighten a quarter turn, and 'apply' them to the rotating cutter. Loosen a quarter turn, toss the brass in your 'trimmed' pile, and repeat the process.

If you needed a longer than standard trim for some reason, a shim washer on the cutter would work well. Shorter than normal, and you could file down the pin on the cartridge stud. (They only cost a coupl'a bucks, so you can get another one to fiddle with if you really need to).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I like my Forster.. it does a good job trimming cases..I took off the crank years ago & have been chucking directly on the crank threads.. The crank shaft is so tough & hard the threads aren't phased.. The tool is also versatile.. as you can see in the pic I'm using a Forster dead center in the center hole of the shell holder and spinning cases with the cutter.. In this operation I'm reducing (filing) the case at the base in front of the rim..Also I can reduce the diameter of rims in this fashion..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Can any of these units be fitted to do outside neck turning as well as trimming to length? I'm looking for one also and I'm considering the Redding and the RCBS so far but I haven't done a lot of research. I've got a bunch of cases with thick necks that I need to turn down and the Forster hand tool that I have, while nice, is not what I would like to use for 100 or more cases.

The Redding is attractive for that universal collet (as Dastook notes) but if it's going to be more trouble than it's worth I would gladly go with one that uses replaceable shell holders.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

I had a Forster but my GS recommended a L.E. Wilson Case Trimmer as it was more accurate & cuts like a lathe;the case is held in a die on the frame in perfect alignment with the cutter.I've been using one for over 30 years.
TwoCup
Levergunner

Post by TwoCup »

I've used a Redding 1400 trimmer for years and never had any problem with the collet. I just got a 2400 and besides the micrometer case length adjustment, it has the advantage that the case is tightened in the collet while the case neck is on the pilot. That means when you tighten the collet, the case is perfectly straight. Redding trimmers turn the case, not the cutter, which means the case mouths are trimmed square.

TwoCup
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Depends on the volume. I have the little Lee case trimmers for every caliber I have. These help when you are just doing a little clean up on a small amount (50-100) for a loading session.

I purchased a Lyman trimmer a while back, and the added the electric drill attachment. I use this for resizing brass altogether (for example, taking .45-70 Government down to .45-60 WCF length).

I then bought a Lyman Drill Press unit from Cubrock here on the forum a couple years ago.

For the middle ground, I'd recommend the Lyman trimmer with the electric drill attachment. It works very well! :D
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

TwoCup wrote:...it has the advantage that the case is tightened in the collet while the case neck is on the pilot. That means when you tighten the collet, the case is perfectly straight.
You can do the same thing with any trimmer by running the pilot into the mouth before tightening. And, used properly, any trimmer will give square cuts. As much as I love Redding, to me their trimmer is still an answer without a question.

At least, that's my experience.

Scott