OT - Shafted on Colt SAA

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
footlong
Levergunner

OT - Shafted on Colt SAA

Post by footlong »

Went to the range with my ''new'' Colt SAA today.It shoots great. A little high and to the right. Will try some other
ammo brands to bring it in. Came home and gently cleaned it with Rem Oil and a soft cotton rag. There was a spot
of carbon on the front edge between the flutes on the cylinder. Something that gets on all revolvers when they are shot.
I rubbed the residue and the blueing came off too. Figure a previous owner had touched up the cylinder with cold blue
before I got. I believe the cold blue masked holster wear. Have already posted feedback on seller. Besides I have no idea
who was responsible.
popeye44
Levergunner

Re: Shafted on Colt SAA-OT

Post by popeye44 »

Could you get just the cylinder reblued?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

No fun - but you still have a good shooting Colt! :D
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

You were the guy doing the rubbing.

Enjoy that Colt!

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

The degree of "being shafted" depends on how much you paid for it and how it was described in the ad. If you got a decent buy, the gun was described as "used", then a little blue wear is fine. If you paid top dollar and the gun was described as NIB, you got "royally" shafted. I have guns that have no finish and I love 'em.

Blue wear adds character-----------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

footlong wrote:There was a spot of carbon on the front edge between the flutes on the cylinder. Something that gets on all revolvers when they are shot. I rubbed the residue and the bluing came off too. Figure a previous owner had touched up the cylinder with cold blue before I got. I believe the cold blue masked holster wear. Have already posted feedback on seller. Besides I have no idea who was responsible.
As you already seem to know, that is par for the course on the front of the cylinder with any revolver that's been fired more than a few times. Now, if it was truly marketed to you as "new and unfired" then you may have a case. Also, I can see how holster-wear, even if the gun is "unfired", would disqualify it as new, in your eyes. At the very least, enjoy a gun with a some character already in place.

Scott
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Just a suggestion -- are you sure the blue came off, or did you just uncover a silvery flash-deposit of lead, as I do every time I fire my Uberti SAA with cast loads? When I decide to clean it off (not often) a brief gentle rub with Flitz polish brings the blue right back.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Pisgah + They all do it. A 3rd generation Colt SAA is made to shoot. It will happen everytime. Have fun and fire away.
"That'll Be The Day"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

It now has character; just moved UP from "safe queen" to "working gun". What the other guys have said, plus... don't let it get ya too down, these things happen from time to time; take some pictures, send them and what he showed in the ad and, ask for a few bucks back. He can't sy yes if you don't ask.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
footlong
Levergunner

Post by footlong »

The missing blue is actually on the side of the cylinder, near the end between the flutes. I have never seen this
before with a revolver. This is my first Colt SAA. I have owned other Colt revolvers and other single actions. I
called Colt customer service today. They referred me to the custom shop. Was unable to get thru though. At first I
thought it was holster wear but there is none on the barrel.
The description says that it appears unfired. It is Gunbroker #102076895. You will only be able to view the gun if
you are a member of GB. I consider my cleaning methods very gentle. Thanks guys for your help.
Hobie

Re: OT - Shafted on Colt SAA

Post by Hobie »

That was the seller's out, "it appears unfired"... when I see such an equivocating statement I assume the worst and bid accordingly. Don't get many that way but the ones I get I don't get "stuck" on.

PS If the gun otherwise looks as good as the photo and you paid what you paid I can't say I think you were "shafted". I've seen guns with more wear than you describe go for more money.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Yep, I'd say you got a fair deal. Not great, but not bad. Enjoy the Colt...they shoot great. I paid $1300 for mine without the little bit of bluing wear, and I'm happy as a drunk sailor with it.

Ed
footlong
Levergunner

Post by footlong »

OK, I'll love it and shoot it. Now please explain this. How is it that after almost 40 years of shooting pistols I have
just recently "discovered" Colt SAA's?
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Don't know what to say to that. But, you're here now, enjoy the sickness.
Old Law Dawg
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

footlong wrote:...How is it that after almost 40 years of shooting pistols I have
Often, we listen to folks who appear knowledgeable when we know we aren't and absorb their prejudices as fact. Sometimes we have to "unlearn" that which we've learned from those with less a tendency to teach vs. indoctrinate. Wisdom is being able differentiate between "teaching" and "indoctrination".
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

footlong wrote:OK, I'll love it and shoot it. Now please explain this. How is it that after almost 40 years of shooting pistols I have
You finally got lucky. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

So, I'll do it for you.... this time. ;)

So, what's it look like now?
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
popeye44
Levergunner

Post by popeye44 »

If that 45 is shooting high you might try some lighter bullets. Better still trade it for a 44.
The ONLY caliber.
footlong
Levergunner

Post by footlong »

Will be going to the range tomorrow with the Colt. Got some 200gr swc cowboy loads to see if they shoot any lower.
The guy from Atlanta Arms Ammo said they were real wimp loads at 720fps. He said that was what the SASS people
liked. I have looked at all the pics on the net of SAA guns. I still cant find one with the bluing missing like mine on the cyl.
I know the saying of a pic being worth a thou words. It seems the cameras at my house are the throw-away kind.
That AAA stuff is real nice looking. Twas a swc bullet in brand new Starline brass for 18.25 a box. They also had some really
HOT stuff loaded to app 1400fps. Definitely NOT for Colts. Said they were for TC's and Rugers. I have a TC in 45/410. Might
be fun but I would be feared of getting the 45 ammo mixed up.