OT - double rifles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jgt
Levergunner

OT - double rifles

Post by jgt »

I was thinking of trying to sleave a double barrel shotgun to make a double rifle in 45/70.this is my faverite cartrige but do not know how big of a can of worms I would be geting into
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: double rifles

Post by Old Ironsights »

From what I understand, pretty big if you are trying it with a SxS. It would need Regulating and that's a pretty precice operation FWIU.

An O/U might be easier... IIRC a million years ago Ross Seifried talked about turning Ruger Red Label O/Us into rifles or Shot over Rifle doubles in one of the Rags...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

I have a gunsmith friend who's adding a .45-70 barrel to a single shot cheap (IJ?) shotgun. I assume you already have the double, but, you might want to consider the single gun route.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I actually did this with a browning SxS 20 gauge. The rifle shot very well. We used laser inserts to set the sleeves inside the barrels, both shooting close to point of aim. The regulation fell apart after about 125 yards though. It had a tripple leaf sight rear, ivory bead on the front. I had the stock "bent" to fit me. The gun smith was in a shop in Virgina. He is no longer with us. I have seen this same thing done elsewhere. Kodiak I think still sells a double 45-70. Good luck.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

rjohns94 wrote:I actually did this with a browning SxS 20 gauge. The rifle shot very well. We used laser inserts to set the sleeves inside the barrels, both shooting close to point of aim. The regulation fell apart after about 125 yards though. It had a tripple leaf sight rear, ivory bead on the front. I had the stock "bent" to fit me. The gun smith was in a shop in Virgina. He is no longer with us. I have seen this same thing done elsewhere. Kodiak I think still sells a double 45-70. Good luck.
Do you still have it?

That would be a double rifle a guy could afford to shoot.
NRA Life Member
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I think the Kodiak double rifle in .45-70 already has all the bugs worked out of it. Maybe it could even be turned into a .45-90.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

there is one for sale on gunsamerica right now. ANIB $2500 and some change.

Ted H, nope, I don't have it anymore. Through the years I have gone through up and down periods financially and during a down time, I had to let it go. I always wanted to replace it with a 470NE, just cause. :)
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

jgt, by the way, welcome to the forum.
Mike Johnson,

moodyholler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by moodyholler »

A friend of mine has one of the kodiaks reamed out to 45-120 and it is a neat little gun. They are pricey though. Later, moodyholler
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

there is a guy who advertises in RIFLE and HNADLOADER magazine , who makes double rifles out of SxS shotguns I do not have a copy or either with me here at work , so cant give any more details than that I have no Idea what prices are or anything else aobut him Just figured I would mention it
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I am almost 47 now and have wanted a double rifle for about 35 years !

But I've always wanted and older British made gun , so needless to say I've never owned one and most likely I will keep on wanting and never owning since the British boys are rudely over my limit pricewise !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Baikal makes 45-70 sleeves for their shotguns.....or used to. Remington handles their stuff under the name of Spartan.....You might check the Spartan lineup, they might have that sort of thing now.......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

jgt wrote:I was thinking of trying to sleave a double barrel shotgun to make a double rifle in 45/70.this is my faverite cartrige but do not know how big of a can of worms I would be geting into
Another option although not exactly what you want ! Would be to find a 12 or 20 gauge SxS and have the barrells rifled !

You could then shoot saboted slugs and in essence a double rifled shotgun !

Seems to me that Dakota Arms made some rifled SxS shotguns for a few years and may very well still be doing so .
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I like the idea of a 20-bore double rifle.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Timothy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Timothy »

I believe remington imported a limited number of SXS 30-06's in the spartan line this year. There were pics on their website that stirred a lot of intrest but I think the project is on hold or still in the design phase.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Timothy wrote:I believe remington imported a limited number of SXS 30-06's in the spartan line this year. There were pics on their website that stirred a lot of intrest but I think the project is on hold or still in the design phase.
Supposedly Remington imported the Spartens in 06 and 45-70 . Although I have never seen one .

I do have a 20" barrelled Sparten 12 gauge SxS and based on it I'm not to sure if I would want a stout caliber rifle on their action .
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

there were some for sale so I am not sure how many were released by Remington. they are nice for the money. saw one at my local shop.
Mike Johnson,

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Mike Johnson,

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

they released a limited number, all in 30-06. Not likely to have any more in country and the 45-70 aren't coming.
Mike Johnson,

Bramble
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bramble »

jgt wrote:I was thinking of trying to sleave a double barrel shotgun to make a double rifle in 45/70.this is my faverite cartrige but do not know how big of a can of worms I would be geting into
The link below will let you see what you are getting into.

This was the rifle that I took on the 2007 Leverguns Safari.
I can be persuaded to part with it as I have several other projects on the go including a 470NE on a Beretta action. This one is the biggest of the 458's, a .450 #2 NE , If you are interested PM me.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat ... art=1&vc=1
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

wont let me log into the site.
Mike Johnson,

Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Some discussion on this topic here: http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat ... o=&fpart=1
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I have to recommend "Building Double Rifles On Shotgun Actions" by I don't know who, because I can't find my copy. It's worth checking out, and a good read too.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

shawn_c992001 wrote:I have to recommend "Building Double Rifles On Shotgun Actions" by I don't know who, because I can't find my copy. It's worth checking out, and a good read too.
...by W. Ellis Brown. Brownells have the boook for $49.95
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ ... %20ACTIONS
Bramble
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bramble »

rjohns94 wrote:wont let me log into the site.
You are quite correct. I forgot that they made the "building rifles" section members only a few months ago.
You need to go to the home page and register.

Regards
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - double rifles

Post by TedH »

I've been trying to register there for days. I put in all my information, but never receive the verification email and my account is deleted 24 hours later. I sent them an email about the problem, but have not heard a word from them yet.
NRA Life Member
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

#1 Before you sleeve you need to see that the barrels are regulated.

#2 Use a 16 or 20 Ga. Shotgun a 12 makes the tubes too heavy

#3 Use a shootgun with either a double locking underlever or a Greener patent as you need all the lockup you can get.

#4 You DO need to bush the firing pins, don't think otherwise, just do it.

The lining job itself is not particulary difficult but you willl have to make some sights and the extractors will hhave to be hand made. You can expect a shotgun so converted to keep both barrels in about 4" at 100 yards if the shotgun was regulated to begin with. You will need to tinker with loads to achieve this and there are some tricks involved to help this along. There is a gunsmith in Springfield South Dakota who sepecializes in this work and I will try and find his contact info is anyone is interested.
Bramble
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bramble »

That information is not necessaraly correct.

I urge anybody contemplating it to read the thread I posted above. If you cannot join NE.com then PM me and I will mail the moderators for you.

Regards
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

OOoooo.

That is nice.

I've been thinking that one of the coolest customs around would be a drilling that was stout enough to:

(A) be a "typical" upland game drilling (20x20x.357mag or eq.)
(B) have a spare rifle barrel set that was in Fortysomthing by Fortysomthing over twentysomthing (.416x.416x.270 etc)
(C) have a spare barrel set that was screw-in breech 209 primer fired 10x10x.50 ML.

Man, woud that be SWEET. You could hunt ANYTHING ANYWHERE... 8)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Bramble,

What is the source of that sling? It is just what I am looking for. Thanks

mike
Mike Johnson,

Bramble
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bramble »

Mike,

Its Made by RWS in Germany. They are very nice.

I don't know if you can get them in the states.

If not and you want one PM me and we will see what we can do. My engineering company takes credit cards and I think my supplier has some in stock.

Regards