Are prices coming down?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Are prices coming down?

Post by Walt »

I live about 30 minutes from town and once a week or so I make my rounds at Sportsmans and Cabelas for loading components. Several days ago I went to Sportsmans and bought a brick of Winchester Large Pistol primers for $63 including tax. Now, ordinarily they charge by the 100 pack and on the shelf each flat was marked at $7.99 but when I got to the cashier he just scanned the entire brick and came up with the price of $63. He did not open the brick and it was full. I can't argue with that given the times.

Then I went on to Cabelas looking for Starline .357 unfired brass. They had the standard Starline 100 packs marked at $19.99. I bought a couple of bags and happily drove home.

Just a fluke, maybe mismarked on the primers? I hope not.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Are prices coming down?

Post by .45colt »

Those are great prices Walt, compared to what they were a few years ago. I'm thinking that the reloading market has really slowed down because everything was sky high for too long. I can hardly fit anything in My supply cabinet but those prices are too good to pass up. :D .
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

two weeks ago i took a friend down to Cheyenne for catarac surgery so i had some time to run over to Sportsman
not much of a selection on any thing, primers were a 100 bucks or more, brass was slim at best
did get a pound of titegroup for 35 bucks with tax, 160 mile round trip, any selection here is poor at best

Brad
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I’m seeing prices drop at the big stores. The smaller stores won’t drop until they sell their current inventory. They have such small margins.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Good to see "hobby prices" decreasing.

But in all honesty, I would rather have food, gasoline, insurance, etc., prices decreasing.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Pretty sure I saw primers for under $60 per 1000 at the Las Cruces Sportsman's a few days ago. No help to me as all my reloading stuff is packed away in a storage unit and I have no idea when I will be able to use it again. Also gave away/sold most of my casting gear. Miss casting and loading.
Insurance will never come down no matter who is in the White House and Congress. Our changing climate is causing huge losses and I don't see this trend easing in the near future.
I am seeing gas under $2.50 here in southern New Mexico.
MS 9x56
Levergunner

Post by MS 9x56 »

If you really think prices are dropping go buy some groceries.
Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

MS 9x56 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2024 12:56 pm If you really think prices are dropping go buy some groceries.
Exactly. Or try to buy a house. or a $125 deer rifle. or a $200 used truck for pity's sake! Or a $150 horse, mule, donkey or burro.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

BUT, after paying for your non-negotiable expenses it's nice to have your hobby dollars go a bit farther....keeps ya happier and a little more sane.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I check the prices of components frequently and update my spreadsheet I mentioned in the thread "Handloading Stocks" here. I've seen a slight dip in prices of some bullets, primers and powder in the last few weeks but like the other respondents here, they're dwarfed by the increases in everything else we buy.

Food is like double what it was 5 years ago in the Denver area notwithstanding what the news says and I keep tract of our budgets and electricity, natural gas, and water; not to mention property taxes and insurance costs are through the roof as well.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2024 12:29 pm I’m seeing prices drop at the big stores. The smaller stores won’t drop until they sell their current inventory. They have such small margins.
I'm sure Kamala thinks they are price gouging though... :roll: :evil:
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

With a cackle and a phart, I'm sure Kalamity Harris thinks everything is just fine.
Crazy Horse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Crazy Horse »

I went to my LGS last week. Everything was high as camel *****
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Prices maybe starting to settle down. Have a feeling though if Harris-Wolz win the election, prices for reloading components, ammunition, firearms, and related goods, will increase.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.