ASM EMF HARTFORD SAA 1994

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

ASM EMF HARTFORD SAA 1994

Post by Pat C »

Had my old 94 era ASM Hartford SAA , sat down with Kuhnhausens shop manual to compare specs to Colt 1st Gen.
Very close indeed all main parts were within Colt tolerances .
I didn't take it down but supposedly Barrels of 20 TPI fit these frames.

Looking at ratchet appears timing is different though , uses specific hand. So even though Colt parts may fit they won't intermix.

I believe screws are close but not same either . Interestingly the big sale tactic was NOTE : All internal parts interchangeable with Colt 1st Gen SAA.

Sadly ASM went out of buisness so No parts availability on these . Mine has worked fine but It's not been used a lot .
At one time I had planned reworking this one with authentic finishes but seems a waste of money I believe.

Anybody else have one of these?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JimT
Shootist

Re: ASM EMF HARTFORD SAA 1994

Post by JimT »

The only ASM I have worked on was the one I re-barreled for Paco. I did not compare side by side with Colt parts but it was close.
7.jpg
After I installed the new barrel but before the maple stocks were installed.
6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Was it old Colt 1st or 2nd barrel?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Pat C wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:04 am Was it old Colt 1st or 2nd barrel?
No. It was an ASM barrel I got from Gun Parts Co.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Paco had bought it from a guy who was getting rid of it because "it had a bullet stuck in the barrel" and he couldn't get it out. When I checked it I found:
1.jpg
A bullet near the muzzle
2.jpg
A bullet near the breech

and when I got them out I found one halfway down the barrel! The barrel was bulged so I rebarreled it.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Interesting ,could have been disastrous.

I had thought about putting a Colt barrel on mine changing to 38 WCF . Supposedly 1st gen barrels fit.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

That would be an interesting project.

If you do it, take pictures and post the results please.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My son has one he won as Top Overall @ Raton in '94. It'd been reworked with a rehardened cylinder & action job by Bill Oglesby of Springfield, IL. Great gun, still runs strong after replacing the mainspring after sitting in the safe for many years..
IMG_0106.JPG
Pictured on top with EMF Hartford by Uberti below. Also has action work by Oglesby & Oglesby.

(Yes, I know the base pin is partially out. "Fire" position.)
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
black river smith
Levergunner 2.0

Post by black river smith »

In 1996, i bought the cheaper version of ASM's revolvers. The little brother was the 'New Model Dakota'. It was my understanding at the time from ad's that the only difference was mine had a brass back/trigger strap that was nickeled and blackened, instead of blue steel. But now I see in your photo that your Hartford has a 'firing pin bushing' that mine does not have.

I used this as a partner to my Original 1873 in 44/40 for a number of CAS/NCOWS shoots

At this time, I which I had just invested the extra $50 but at that time it was not that important. Wish I could come across some steel Hartford straps now but, oh well, too long gone. Besides 6 years later in 2002 I bought one of the new Cimarron's Old Model P's (BP frame) in 44/40 as an earlier timeframe match for the 1873.

Those two revolver are definitely difference dimensions for sure.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Griff wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 12:25 pm My son has one he won as Top Overall @ Raton in '94. It'd been reworked with a rehardened cylinder & action job by Bill Oglesby of Springfield, IL. Great gun, still runs strong after replacing the mainspring after sitting in the safe for many years..
IMG_0106.JPG
Pictured on top with EMF Hartford by Uberti below. Also has action work by Oglesby & Oglesby.

What happened that cylinder needed re -heatreat? Worn ratchets?
flightsimmer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by flightsimmer »

Yes, I have one as well. It is superb in every way.
Point of aim and point of impact are perfect.
10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.
If possible, so much as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Rom 12:18
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pat C wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 2:20 pm
Griff wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 12:25 pmMy son has one he won as Top Overall @ Raton in '94. It'd been reworked with a rehardened cylinder & action job by Bill Oglesby of Springfield, IL. Great gun, still runs strong after replacing the mainspring after sitting in the safe for many years..
IMG_0106.JPG
What happened that cylinder needed re -heatreat? Worn ratchets?
Nothing, it was a brand new, unfired gun which Bill got from EMF to donate as the Top Gun Award, he then proceeded to upgrade springs, wanted a different heat treat on the cylinder. When I sent the Uberti to him to match to the ASM, Bill said he couldn't remember what treatment he'd done on the earlier gun... but did, everything else to make it a race gun.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

m.A.g.a. !
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JimT wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:18 am Paco had bought it from a guy who was getting rid of it because "it had a bullet stuck in the barrel" and he couldn't get it out. When I checked it I found:

A bullet near the muzzle

A bullet near the breech

and when I got them out I found one halfway down the barrel! The barrel was bulged so I rebarreled it.
So, three stuck bullets? I hope that guy went on to play the lottery that day. He sure was a lucky you-know-what!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I saw a .38 S&W that had 7 bullets in the barrel. The one at the muzzle was protruding.