Large Rack on an Arizona Bull Elk

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Large Rack on an Arizona Bull Elk

Post by C. Cash »

My Dad got this this from one of his AZ Game and Fish buddies(David Rigo, Mullins Outfitters), who was the guide for a lottery hunt winner. Supposedly, his client passed on another Elk which was as big just before he shot this guy. Score was 420 from my Dad's info.

Last edited by C. Cash on Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: An Big Arizona Elk

Post by Shasta »

Wow, that's a good 'un. Must of used something really big to blow that elk clean in half like that! :D
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Shasta wrote:Wow, that's a good 'un. Must of used something really big to blow that elk clean in half like that! :D
It must have been a 9422 'cause you'd never get that kind of precise shot placement from a 39.

Andrew- who never misses an oppurtunity to stir trouble.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Yep; We got some big ones in this State. Most of the trophy's come off the Ft. Apache Indian Reservation. The Apache's control there own game, all are guided hunts with there rangers & guides. About $5000.00 + for a guided hunt, guaranteed a trophy Bull. This Bull was not one of those, most likely from the same area only on BLM, National forest or State trust Land.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

What a bull. $5,000 sounds awful cheap to me. I have a friend who killed a monster like that in AZ. It took him close to 15 years to get a tag. And the hunt was over $10,000. But then it was the hunt of a life time. It is a real shame what has happened to trophy elk hunting. But if you have the cash then you do not have any problems. But it is he** on the little guy. But then I guess there is always a cow permit in CO. Tom.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That is the shortest elk I think I have ever seen.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ysabel Kid

Re: Large Rack on an Arizona Bull Elk

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Wow! :shock:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice bull. Right now something like that is only a pipe dream for me.
Old Law Dawg
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

A 6x7 would be a trophy anywhere it was taken, IMO. :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I think the guy in the picture should look a little more happier with an animal like that!
The rack looks like it is in velvet but the person in the picture is bundled up pretty good with fleece and cap on - so it must have been chilly.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

Griff wrote:A 6x7 would be a trophy anywhere it was taken, IMO. :mrgreen:
Absolutely, however it's the MASS on that one that differentiates it from the rest.

Paul
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

HEAD0001 wrote:What a bull. $5,000 sounds awful cheap to me. I have a friend who killed a monster like that in AZ. It took him close to 15 years to get a tag. And the hunt was over $10,000. But then it was the hunt of a life time. It is a real shame what has happened to trophy elk hunting. But if you have the cash then you do not have any problems. But it is he** on the little guy. But then I guess there is always a cow permit in CO. Tom.

Nothing wrong with a cow permit wherever you can get one. My Grandfather loved to remind me that . . ."boy, you can't eat the horns. . ." :D :D :D
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

That is a phenomenal bull, but I have to register my disdain for the staging of the photo. It really irks me to see people sit as far back from the animal as possible to make the animal look larger than life. :roll: The photos are much nicer when they are staged so that the actual size relative to the hunter is shown.
.........THE TWINS..........

C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I thought the same thing at first glance Cubrock and agree about the standing back to make things look bigger. But then I thought if that was my bull, I'd think the bull was a little more important than my ugly mug and be standing off a bit to say "Look at that bull!" It might just happen that way sometimes, but no doubt the photos get staged a good bit. My Dad said this was from his buddy's(the guide's) cell phone.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

cubrock wrote:That is a phenomenal bull, but I have to register my disdain for the staging of the photo. It really irks me to see people sit as far back from the animal as possible to make the animal look larger than life. :roll: The photos are much nicer when they are staged so that the actual size relative to the hunter is shown.
Get a grip!!

That's a big elk no matter how you look at it. The guy is holding the antlers with his right hand and his arm is bent at the elbow - so, he can be no further that an arms distance away from the bull. It's not like he's sitting in the next county.
ED
Yer never too old
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Modoc ED wrote:
cubrock wrote:That is a phenomenal bull, but I have to register my disdain for the staging of the photo. It really irks me to see people sit as far back from the animal as possible to make the animal look larger than life. :roll: The photos are much nicer when they are staged so that the actual size relative to the hunter is shown.
Get a grip!!

That's a big elk no matter how you look at it. The guy is holding the antlers with his right hand and his arm is bent at the elbow - so, he can be no further that an arms distance away from the bull. It's not like he's sitting in the next county.

That 2.5 or so feet he is sitting behind the elk makes a big difference in the relative size of the hunter to the elk. Granted, I've seen much worse in pics (like people sitting 5 or 6 feet behind). Perhaps he isn't doing it to stage the picture and my comment is unwarranted in his case, but the general principle applies. It irks me to see people have to ruin the picture of a trophy animal by trying to make it look even bigger than it is.

Compare it to this properly staged picture by one of our forum members and you'll see what I mean:

Just kidding. :lol:

Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Hey -- I completely agree with you. That fella is lucky to have made a one-shot kill on that rodent before it could knaw his foot off at the ankle.
ED
Yer never too old
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Modoc ED wrote:Hey -- I completely agree with you. That fella is lucky to have made a one-shot kill on that rodent before it could knaw his foot off at the ankle.

Kinda reminds me of the rabbit scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail! :lol:

C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Cubrock...that is classic! :lol: