Handloading Stocks

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Handloading Stocks

Post by COSteve »

I do a reloading 'binge' after the 1st of the year when the weather is ruff outside to build up my stocks for the spring and summer and so far I've found 7 calibers and a total of 2,450 rds I need to replenish. How do I know I need these?

I have my stock of both loaded rounds by caliber, bullet type and weight and handloading components on a spreadsheet so I can keep track of what I have as well as anything I might need as a result of my stock is getting low.

In addition to the stock on hand, I also keep track of my cost of the components and loaded ammo I have vs their current replacement prices. That way, I can keep an eye out for deals I could be interested in to replenish my stock of components.

Once set up, it's easy to keep current. In fact, I just updated the current costs yesterday and found that some ammo and components have dropped slightly in price recently.

I go on sites like AmmoGrab and AmmoSeek and wherever else I need to find the cheapest prices for both the ammo and components I have on hand and plug that per item cost info into the ammo and components I have and then let the spreadsheet compare that to the actual cost I paid for them.

For the last few years the difference between the cost of my components and ammo made from them, all purchased before COVID, and the current value of both my loaded ammo and components is staggering with the their current total value holding at over 438% of my cost.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Handloading Stocks

Post by Grizz »

Respect Steve

You have serious management skills, it's a lesson book. Kudos.

grizz
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I don't care about percentages and statistics because I'm going to buy whatever I need when it's available. I believe the components I have on hand will last the remainder of at least my shooting life.
LeverGunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverGunner »

I'm in awe of your documentation skills. I am doing good to have a list of all of the moulds I have on hand.
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets.

Lead Alloy Calculator
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Everybody does their own thing to enjoy reloading! Even keeping track of things. Your very organized there Steve, WAY more than myself.
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Thanks guys. The truth is I had to learn to be super organized for my work as I'd have maybe 6 huge contracts (100s of Millions of dollars each) going at once, hundreds of documents on each contract due on specific dates, reports, submittals, etc., etc.

I had to learn to use a spreadsheet to keep track of everything and I relied on them at work for over 41 years so using an excel spreadsheet became second nature to me since they were first available.

Since I retired, I've also had the time to organize everything so I can keep tract of finances and everything else important. Besides, when I have tangible evidence that I've got everything accounted for I can relax and enjoy myself without wondering if I'm forgetting anything.

Handloading is one of my most favorite indoor hobbies as the zen like nature of the repetitive nature of it helps me relax and not wondering if I need anything or whatever helps with the hobby.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Impressive tracking. I just let the wife keep track, she is pretty quick to let me know when I have spent enough!
Gun Control is not about guns, it is about control!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I'm happy if I remember to put on underwear in the morning.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Good to see someone else here with a tinge of OCD! :wink:

I've see some of your reload area pictures; we are kindred spirits. I do the same, plus actually list goals for loaded rounds for each caliber I need to feed. These vary on the gun, action type, and intended use. For example, my goal for my 7.7 Jap is 20 rounds. I've never fired the gun; I inherited it from my father. The gun was a late war production model with the bolt looking like it was put together with Elmer's glue. I think shooting it would make it go boom - back in my face! :shock: (it does have the chrysanthemum intact though!)

But for Modern Sporting Rifles intended for self-defense? 1,000 round minimum per gun.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JimT wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2024 7:47 pm I'm happy if I remember to put on underwear in the morning.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Steve in MO
Levergunner

Post by Steve in MO »

JimT wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2024 7:47 pm I'm happy if I remember to put on underwear in the morning.
Underwear is overrated, anyway....
"When the shooting stops, and the dead are buried, and the politicians take over; it all adds up to one thing: a lost cause."
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

lol
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JimT wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2024 7:47 pmI'm happy if I remember to put on underwear in the morning.
TMI!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

COSteve wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2024 12:19 pm I have my stock of both loaded rounds by caliber, bullet type and weight and handloading components on a spreadsheet so I can keep track of what I have as well as anything I might need as a result of my stock is getting low.
Same here ... in Excel. Shell plates, shell holders, trimmer pilots, dies, brass, bullets, factory ammo, handloads, powder, primers, guns, and sheets for loads by cartridge. The only thing I keep the price I paid for is bullets though. That used to be the costliest item so I considered the powder and primers incidental. But now you can pay more for the primer than the bullet in a load. A miss on my part.

It's handy. For example, I know I have 158.9 lbs of powder on hand in 87 varieties ... broken into type class as 33 ball, 12 flake, and 42 extruded. 40.8% by weight is Alliant ... which I am WAY too dependent upon.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

If I wake up, stand up and walk out of my tracks? The day is mine!

And I thank God for it.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.