Let’s talk about shotguns for serious use.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Let’s talk about shotguns for serious use.

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I’ve seen folks shot with a variety of guns over the years. I’ve never seen anyone who took a load of buckshot to the torso that stayed in the fight.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

I fairly recently saw a Donut Operator utube video of some cops come up on a four door pickup in a mall parking lot with some guys doing drugs. One cop, with a 12ga with buckshot, on the passenger side opened the door and told the kinda wasted driver NOT to reach for the gun in his belt! After telling the guy SEVERAL times not to do it, he does. You can guess the rest! :roll:
EG73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by EG73 »

I’ve only 2 at the moment. A cheap VG Bentley Spanish made SxS BLNE 12g, and a single barrel jones underlever hammer 10g that I load blackpowder for (2 7/8” shells).

Planning on a chiappa 28” 1887 for duck duties. Mosty because I like the look more than anything. I’m aware the 1887 can have reliability issues but it won’t matter too much with ducks.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Griff, good gracious, I am glad that turned out all right. :shock:
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I have this V Bernardelli Italia hammer gun
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eddie Southgate
Levergunner

Post by Eddie Southgate »

I keep just a plain old 1917 built Model 12 with a little over 18" of barrel hand for serious social discussions.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Eddie Southgate wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:40 am I keep just a plain old 1917 built Model 12 with a little over 18" of barrel hand for serious social discussions.
That makes sense to me. The shotgun seems to work just as well if it’s an old pump or double or the latest “tactical” semi auto. It strikes the same blow.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:04 am
Eddie Southgate wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:40 am I keep just a plain old 1917 built Model 12 with a little over 18" of barrel hand for serious social discussions.
That makes sense to me. The shotgun seems to work just as well if it’s an old pump or double or the latest “tactical” semi auto. It strikes the same blow.
Yup they all have their pros and cons but whatever they hit is more likely than not to be "lights out" .
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

gamekeeper wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:16 am
barbarossa wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:37 am There is supposed to be a made in turkey new martini shotgun in 12 and 20 ga coming on the market sometime this year
I am wary of some Turkish made guns but a Martini 20 gauge would get my attention...

Paladin, I'd like to see a picture of your sawn off Fox, I've never seen a Fox shotgun over here so my knowledge of them is limited.

SxS.jpg
This is a model B and the barrel length is now 19 inches cut off at the post in the vent rib. (about 8 inches cut off). Sorry, it took so long to get back to you. I now carry it to walk the dogs in the lower 48 in Big Cat country AZ.
SxS 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:42 pm I’ve seen folks shot with a variety of guns over the years. I’ve never seen anyone who took a load of buckshot to the torso that stayed in the fight.
This is a FACT and why so many Law Enforcement units still use a shotgun before the weaker ones complained about the recoil and went to ARs.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That's a nice looking double for sure, thanks for posting the photos, I wish I could have done something similar to the one I once had but too many hoops to jump through if you want less than 24" barrels.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I've owned my 12 ga. Winchester 1300 Featherweight Upland Special for close to 40 years, and I'm 100% happy with it's reliability and smoothness. Back around 1987 my dad gifted me a 22" Parkerized rifle sighted, rifled barrel barrel for it to complement it's factory 22" polished blue choke tubed barrel. She is light, and handy.
https://cdn.filestackcontent.com/k6VTGwg4TPiGAkjK5goI

I have been lusting after a 12 gauge Mossberg 590 Shockwave since they first came out a few years back. Figured it might came in handy for bear defense while salmon fishing streams in Alaska. https://www.mossberg.com/590-shockwave- ... 50659.html

I really like the idea of the SxS hammer-gun, and the ability to keep the chambers loading while having the hammers uncocked. Safe but ready. The GForce Poncho appeals to me aesthetically.
https://gforcearms.com/firearms/hunting ... 20-poncho/
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

gamekeeper wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:37 am I'm down to only one shotgun at the moment, a USSR made 16 gauge hammer gun together with a .410 adapter it covers everything I require from a shotgun, I just wish I had the same choice of ammunition as you have in the States.

131042-1-medium.jpg
if you looking for another one, check out the gforce in the refuge model, I bought one and I like it, . Of course, it does have a 28 inch barrel for goose hunting. cheap enough if you want to modify it a bit.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

At one time I had a Striker plain and a Striker Folder...

Definitely 'intimidating', but took up too much room in the gun safe, and we only kept one out-and-ready.

Sold them (lost money as they had beed reclassified as NFA weapons and the transfer tax cost the purchaser enough that it ate up any profits).

Replaced them with a Saiga-12 and that has been reliable and cycles so fast it's like a pistol.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Years ago I had one of those Striker 12 revolving shotguns. It was quite a machine. But when they made it an NFA item, I quickly lost interest. I’m still not sure how they did that.
zoner
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zoner »

I have 2 HD shotguns. First a 18" barreled Mossberg 500A(12 gauge) pump with the Magpul SGA buttstock and Hogue overmoulded forend. Dual action bars, metal safety button and Meprolight tritium bead sight. 5 in the tube,1 in the chamber, I feel pretty safe. The second is a Ithaca M37 12 gauge pump a friend gave to me. It wouldn't go bang but replacing the broken firing pin made it good to go. Somebody had already cut down the VR barrel to a little over 22"(?) so I took a hacksaw and made it 18 1/2". It has wood furniture. 4 in the tube,1 in the chamber. I mounted a set of fiber optic open sights that clamp on the VR. It will slam-fire. Nice lightweight little pumpgun with a action that's slick as glass. Ammo for both guns is 00 buck.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

EG, your Jones underlever hammer 10 single sounds most intriguing! A 10-gauge black powder load has a real boom to it.
As to the 1887s, I would be very tempted when the new Cimarrons become available with the 26-inch hunting barrel. The design can be finicky, but when it works it is just amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgTUtPjQqqQ&t=295s
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

A friend once had an old Hollis & Sons 10 gauge coach gun that I got to try out once with 16 pellet 00, brass hull BP loads. It was a formidable piece of ordnance. He offered to sell it to me but much to my regret I didn't go for it, no idea what became of it after he passed.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

More tinkering around with my overlanding setup --- the shotgun fits in pretty well, although due to a seriously wrecked left shoulder im about to give up on the pumpers and look for a Beretta A300 Patrol model or a 1301 if i can find a deal on one

The shotgun has not been used to repel boarders yet, but the backseat organization panels really got tested over the weekend when i went on a climbing/rappelling trip. Worked great, but observers stated it made the vehicle look too much like a "war wagon" or some LE type thing that would be a nice target for undesirables --- fair enough point -- vehicle is not a daily driver and i rarely go far, but crime happens fast and as was stated - a thrown brick, a pocketknife and about 20 seconds and all that stuff would be gone is a valid point

----- Doug
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Streetstar wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:16 pm More tinkering around with my overlanding setup --- the shotgun fits in pretty well, although due to a seriously wrecked left shoulder im about to give up on the pumpers and look for a Beretta A300 Patrol model or a 1301 if i can find a deal on one

The shotgun has not been used to repel boarders yet, but the backseat organization panels really got tested over the weekend when i went on a climbing/rappelling trip. Worked great, but observers stated it made the vehicle look too much like a "war wagon" or some LE type thing that would be a nice target for undesirables --- fair enough point -- vehicle is not a daily driver and i rarely go far, but crime happens fast and as was stated - a thrown brick, a pocketknife and about 20 seconds and all that stuff would be gone is a valid point

A valid point I agree, in the nanny state UK if you lose a gun from your vehicle the police will take whatever you have in the safe..it nearly happened to me once ...
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

gamekeeper wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:29 pm [

A valid point I agree, in the nanny state UK if you lose a gun from your vehicle the police will take whatever you have in the safe..it nearly happened to me once ...
[/quote]

Gamekeeper, i reside on a 10 acre "estate" in a house by myself (not a brag- its actually a bummer) with a fully functional 1200 sf loft over my garage with its own kitchenette and bedroom (complete with plenty of bicycles and Clint Eastwood movie posters) ---- im sure this is a sentiment that is echoed by many here, but if you ever feel the need to expatriate , come to beautiful (well, -- somewhat beautiful) windswept Oklahoma and set up shop for a month or two above the garage until you get the rest sorted out! :D :lol: :)
Last edited by Streetstar on Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
----- Doug
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

No pic to post, but I purchased a rusted old REM 870 at a pawn shop for $100. It was just surface rust nothing a little 0000 steel wool and some oil wouldnt get rid of. It had a 28" barrel with a MOD Choke tube stuck in it. I went on EBAY and was able to get a NICE Remington 20" barrel with rifle sights and screw in choke tubes for $120 shipped. Yes its been a few years ago. Needless to say, after refinishing the 870 and adding the 20" barrel with rifle sights and screw in choke tubes it is an awesome defense shotgun. I purchased an extended IM choke for 00 buck, as well as an Undertaker Xtra Full Turkey choke that measures .675 that I use for #4 buckshot. It will hold a tight pattern in about 20" right at 45-50 yards.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Streetstar, if I wasn't 75 and in better health I would be across the pond and enjoying a taste of freedom for sure, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for the very kind offer. My internet friendship with Levergunners all over the world means more to me than I can express in words...
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

gamekeeper wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:43 am Streetstar, if I wasn't 75 and in better health I would be across the pond and enjoying a taste of freedom for sure, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for the very kind offer. My internet friendship with Levergunners all over the world means more to me than I can express in words...

Politics aside, you do live in a beautiful location as well -- i visited briefly when i was in the service years ago and really need to go back for a month or two

And yes, i agree - everybody i have met from this site - usually a sale meet up or something - has been good as gold . Some of us come off as curmudgeons on the internet, but when you sit down at a cafe and have some breakfast face to face -- the surliness is typically replaced with big smiles, tall tales and lots of laughs
----- Doug
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I am hopefully going to be on the move again from the South to as far North as the Scottish border it all depends on my son who has just returned from NZ. I once met up with KirkD and fixed up a little fishing trip he wanted, like you say it was smiles all the way… :D
Let me know if you cross the pond again.. :wink:
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

"The pistol is for when a shotgun runs dry and you need to check for a pulse. " :D :D :D :D Man I love this place.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

[/quote]
[/quote]

The shotguns in this photo were what the SAS I was with were carrying on a trip. The M-14, Berretta 92, and 1911 on the right were mine. The Nannies seem to like them.
Hide TF-7 c.jpg
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I used to live and work in SAS territory, and as such I acquired things to put in my shotgun that the nanny state disapproved of... :lol:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I shot a Benelli Montefeltro 12 gauge two days last week , gun wasn’t mine but I have one here at the house . One I used was 26” and handled very nicely . One I have here is a factory 24” with of course screw ins . I’d only shot buckshot out of the one I own and quite possibley a couple Turkey loads . But after last week it put new thoughts in my head about the one I have hiding in the back of the safe .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

This thread got me re-thinking my shotgun choice for HD .

I pulled out my 870 and put a few rounds through it and attempted to like it, but it still runs rough. Its a bone stock 870 with a mag extender and rifle sights. I do have one of the little Shockwaves but its hard to compare to something in a full size format. I hearkened back to a time years ago when i had a Winchester 1300 Defender (couldve been a 1200, but i digress) - and never really had any complaints about that one.

I have a nagging shoulder injury that needs surgical intervention on the left side (right has already been fixed) - so running a trombone gun effectively is quite literally a pain. With the Winchester reputation for smoothness - and their relative low cost - most pump guns can be picked up pretty reasonable - , i just thought to satisfy my curiosity, i should seek one out - a real 1300, not one of the late model Turkish concoctions they are marketing now.

Had hoped for a wood furniture model but evidently they made the synthetics at a 5 to 1 ratio over wood it seems because thats all i saw for sale --- and this one's former owner had thoutfully engraved his SSN below the gun's serial number to boot , making for an even more attractive price - which is absolutely fine for a gun thats destined to be a project of sorts anyway ---

The 870 always felt a bit gritty and i could literally feel the seam in the magazine tube for the mag extender.

Ive put a few rounds through it so far, but am going to drastically shorten the length of pull and would like to install a ghost ring sighting system. A set of wood furniture - possibly in youth length for the buttstock - would top it off . It already feels smoother , but if i shorten the LOP, i need to do it to the 870 as well for a fair comparison. Those cheap beech stocks are fair game for taking a saw, rasp and a sander to them to get them where they need to be

But so far so good --- i dont know why i engage in these antics when i know an auto like a Beretta A300 is calling my name - but i like to tinker

And for now -- its a great fishing companion with no modifications at all :D

----- Doug