I love old model Rugers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Re: I love old model Rugers

Post by Walt »

Nice shooting and a beautiful gun, Jim!

Since there are 6 shots on the target, that must not be the Single Six with the one chamber in .22 mag.

Thanks for the picture!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Walt wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:01 am Nice shooting and a beautiful gun, Jim!

Since there are 6 shots on the target, that must not be the Single Six with the one chamber in .22 mag.

Thanks for the picture!
Correct. This is the one my Dad remodeled ... I chamber for .22 Magnum
IMG_3650.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

If that's offhand at 20 that's darn fine shooting. Mine/me can't do it. Fiocchi performance has been best in my single six so far. I'm opposite on sights ,I like mine with bead front U notch rear that go together like puzzle pieces ,no daylight.
Like Savage .22 or late Winchester 62A.

I plane to mill a partridge 1/16 bead front and New blade for the rear Like flat top target.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Shooter! That's great. I'll have to try Aguila. I've never shot any of it. I usually run CCI in my Colts.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Aguila is made in Mexico where their own citizens cannot shoot freely…….same as Japan….

Old Model single six that hangs in the barn…..it has Jim Taylor stocks on it….(Colt) yea…close fit…..

Like NIB….O.M.Ruger convertible 45 L.C./45 ACP. …the acp cylinder has never been out of the little box. There’s lesser of these O.M. 45 Colts than there are 44 Flattops

O.M.41 Mag.and something else I forgot what it is…..

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

You can got wrong with any Ruger Single action model. And if you like to upgrade your classic take a look at sams gun grips. https://www.samsgungrips.ch/
He makes different grips for different guns and they look great and fit perfect.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Beautiful pictures as always, Six. Thanks!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That's some mighty accurate shooting, Jim. Love the recessed crown.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Boy, I'm sure glad that 45 convertible isn't a 4.625". I'd have to have that.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I like em too , single sixes are all I've had though. Now about that XR3 VS XR3-RED.
The Colt grip frame and later XR3 pre 63 frame very close to same.

Here is the catch for me , my SAA if I let my trigger finger lye along side frame which feels comfortable to me .My finger sticks out past first joint causing poor feel to trigger.

The XR3-RED is 1/4" longer allowing a better trigger pull for me . Colt SAA and early old model SS my finger has to be bowed outward to get same feel.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

One of my favorite books on the subject ,and the only old model I currently have. As new late 1971 SS after the change to silver medalions. I need to get me anouther 50's era shooter soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That’s nice Pat…you don’t see those early boxes too much….my guess is early to mid sixties…..

There’s another variation that seldom gets talked about or seen….the tri color single sixes….
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:01 pm That’s nice Pat…you don’t see those early boxes too much….my guess is early to mid sixties…..

There’s another variation that seldom gets talked about or seen….the tri color single sixes….
Those tri colors are super rare , Dougan's book has a lot of good info on them,never seen one in person.

The red and black box was used until New models took over the one above is late 1971 just when they dropped the black eagle medalions.

Couple weeks ago I fell asleep was planning on bidding on a beautiful 1958 old model with chocolate grips, plum frame absolutely beautiful shooter .Somebody got it high $300
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

45 Colt
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Pat C wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:15 pm I like em too , single sixes are all I've had though. Now about that XR3 VS XR3-RED.
The Colt grip frame and later XR3 pre 63 frame very close to same.

Here is the catch for me , my SAA if I let my trigger finger lye along side frame which feels comfortable to me .My finger sticks out past first joint causing poor feel to trigger.

The XR3-RED is 1/4" longer allowing a better trigger pull for me . Colt SAA and early old model SS my finger has to be bowed outward to get same feel.
Much as I love the SAA, I have this same issue. I have a long reach, so the old Colt is just too short for me. It's either be comfortable with too much finger in the guard, or consciously hold that finger "out". I seem to shoot better with the comfortable option, but it's not ideal.