Cool and Wet today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Cool and Wet today

Post by JimT »

so I worked in the shop, loading ammo, cleaning things up a bit and just "messing around." One of the things I did was take the Winchester Model 67 and shoot it a bit. While doing that I was suddenly hit with wondering how hard it shot. A 16 1/2" barrel. Various ammo. A bullet trap. A bunch of old towels that are "shop rags" ... why not catch some bullets?

So I set it up with about 18" of loosely rolled towels.
IMG_6372.JPG
Then I picked 3 different .22 rounds to catch. 1 - Remington Golden bullet
2. Remington Sub Sonic 3. Colibri's little "silent " load with the 20 gr. pellet
IMG_6373.JPG
IMG_6376.JPG
I started with the Colibri. Firing into the towels the 20 gr. pellet penetrated about 2" and stopped.

Next was the Remington Sub Sonic. It penetrated a bit over 12" before stopping.

Finally the Golden Bullet. This one went through a little more than 16" ... quite a bit of penetration.
IMG_6381.JPG
What did I prove?
Not much other than: This is a fun way to pass some time!

Results will vary according to the material the towels are made of, how tightly they are rolled, etc. etc. If you try this make sure you have a good backstop. Not thinking you have a good backstop. Actually having a good backstop. There is a difference. I have done both. :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Cool and Wet today

Post by samsi »

A co-worker who was also a gun guy and I got some Colibris and had the bright idea that we could build a backstop of 2x10's in a storage room at work. Equipped with the Colibris and a K22 we commenced our break time target practice, only to be pelted by the Colibri bullets bouncing off the lumber - sometimes a backstop can be too much of a good thing. Thus ended our working hours ballistic recreation...
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Yeah .. for those a good pellet trap is better ... or layers of cardboard.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have shot a lot of those Colibri and Super Colibri rounds. Tons of fun. No problem seeing them going to the target out in the sunlight. You do have to make sure they are exiting the barrel though. I've had a few that did not! :shock: