Russian capture K98

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Russian capture K98

Post by Pat C »

Anybody here like K98 mausers ? Not really a collector but I like it.Started as a Russian capture barreled action from Coles and I added a red glue laminate stock . To make a dandy shooter grade rifle. I've had it for 10 years and never shot it.
Plan to get some 8mm match to try soon.The bore and metal are pristine. Probably captured early in the war and never seen anymore usage .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Russian capture K98

Post by AJMD429 »

Wow barely any wear.
If it’s bedded we’ll I’ll bet it IS accurate.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Not bedded but it fits like a glove in the laminate stock .
I'm going to pick up some 8mm match PPU ammo and see what it will do soon . It's was likely captured at the beginning of the war.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I have 2 98s, I built one into a 338 Win Mag, it was German issue. The other is an Argentine that I made my 375 H&H out of. Yes I remade the mag box for length and it holds 4 rounds.
I also have 2 Mexican Mausers, my 275 AI Robert's and a new barrel 7x57.
They are strong, reliable actions.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I had a second K98 barreled action DOU , had planned to custom build a shooter .Had all of its evil Nazi markings peened out. But ended up selling it . Wish now I would have kept it.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Great gun. I need to take mine out; it's been a couple decades since I shot it.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

I snagged a WWI era small ring in 8mm that appears to have been sporterized in Europe somewhere. My gunsmith thinks it may be a "guild gun" built by an apprentice. Light weight and handles like a dream. Still need to let blood with it.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

K98s were my first large bore rifle, back when you could buy them at Woolworths for $35. The cheap one was capable of enough accuracy that I use it for ground hog hunting with 110 gr spire point reloads. The iron sights with young eye were great.
It is not the critic who counts
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:34 pm Great gun. I need to take mine out; it's been a couple decades since I shot it.
It is amazing how quickly the time goes - I have firearms I last fired "before we had kids" - and my oldest is 33 years old....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

The Russian capture German K98 rifles were some of the last great deals of the last 25 years or so. Early 2000's you could buy on for $99-$200 depending on whether markings were peened out. Pristine RC now going for $800-$1000 .

Probably will never be any more imported. I remember Empire Arms saying quite some time back there were no more to be found.

I wish I would have picked up several when they were cheap.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That's a nice one for sure. I had a few of the Russian guns when the hit the market. Started selling them off when the prices shot up. There was one I should of kept, in very similar condition.

Have fun!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:34 pm I need to take mine out; it's been a couple decades since I shot it.
Gee Jay, could that be cause you have too many???

Pat C wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:15 pm Started as a Russian capture barreled action from Coles and I added a red glue laminate stock . To make a dandy shooter grade rifle.
Very nice! Yes, you must get that one out shooting!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Pat C wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:22 am The Russian capture German K98 rifles were some of the last great deals of the last 25 years or so. Early 2000's you could buy on for $99-$200 depending on whether markings were peened out. Pristine RC now going for $800-$1000 .

Probably will never be any more imported. I remember Empire Arms saying quite some time back there were no more to be found.

I wish I would have picked up several when they were cheap.

I wish I had a taste for stuff like this in the early ‘00s. Doesn’t even seem like that long ago. I used to turn my nose up at the $75 SKS’s and $300 Mak 90’s 30 years ago too, In that time period I believed that if my firearms ownership was limited to Weatherby, Winchester and Colt, I would be just fine.

I still don’t want an Sks, but a K98 that I could’ve bought for $300 a few years back? Well that’s worth shedding a tear or two
----- Doug