Your Chronograph just became obsolete

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Your Chronograph just became obsolete

Post by TedH »

Garmin has come up with quite an impressive unit for us handloaders. If it turns out to be half as good as what I'm reading, it will be the death of the LabRadar units.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/771164
NRA Life Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Your Chronograph just became obsolete

Post by AJMD429 »

Looks good.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Interesting.

Pros: Easy to use and set up. Not dependent upon good lighting. Waterproof (are you really going to be using it in the rain though?)

Cons: Spendy. In my opinion, at $600 most will find a way not to buy it.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

WOW! I am impressed. If street price is significantly below $600, it will indeed give Labradar a run for its money. Airgun pellets, arrows, bullets -- don't need much more.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

That's an impressive bit of hardware for the money, but one can get a US made optical chronograph for a fraction of the price. For no more often than I use it, I won't be retiring mine.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Thanks may have to break down and get one as it can clock vehicles over 68 mph also.
It is not the critic who counts
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

It certainly is in the price range to make everything else obsolete or at least drop their sales to low levels. But I doubt at my age I'll pop for one, unless I see some even cheaper bargain price. Mainly because I don't chronograph my loads that often, so my old Oehler will probably serve me well still for what little I do chronograph loads.
We'll see if my willpower holds up, and what the reviews bring once enough folks have them and it's proven reliability.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

I received an email flyer from Midway this morning about the Garmin. They are taking pre-orders for $599.
It will probably be awhile before the street price is less, if ever.

JBowen
Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bryan Austin »

For $599, they can choke on it
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I like it! Between it and the Longshot target camera system, your chronograph and spotting scope just became redundant!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I'd be in at say, $150 but for as little as I use mine these days, anything more than that and I'm just wasting money.
Steve
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I found this review on the Garmin Xero, and it sounds like quite a chronograph, and very easy to use!

https://www.outdoorlife.com/gear/garmin ... ro-review/

We'll see what the prices run once it's been out awhile.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I have my Pre-order in at Midway. The Garmin appears to have overcome the issues that the Lab Radar units have, in a far smaller and user friendly package. They will sell every one that they can make at $599.
NRA Life Member
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Don't need one to clock a car. I have a handheld baseball unit that would work well for that.

Dirt road next to us was making quite a cloud of dirt by the county trucks going down it way over the speed limit, so got out the handheld and a camera. Took pics of the truck and driver, and recorded time and date and speed. Took about a half day, but someone finally figured out what I was doing. and after lunch, they had slowed down a bunch!!
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

That is way more convenient than using optical screens. Can use this on busy public ranges, with groups of various skill, etc.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

44shooter wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:15 pm That is way more convenient than using optical screens. Can use this on busy public ranges, with groups of various skill, etc.
That's a significant advantage, I'll agree. However, with all the things begging for your money these days my priorities lie elsewhere at $600.
Steve
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

When working up accurate loads for my rifles for decades, I've used my Oehler to not just see what the bullets are traveling at, but more importantly velocity spread between shots. Fir me velocity deviations between shots on rifle loads are far more important a factor than anything else. So although I may not use my chronograph often, I do use it a lot during load workup, and it's helped me immensely to find the most accurate load for my various rifles and cartridges.
Tough to put a price on accuracy, but since my Oehler does it so well, it's tougher to put out more money for a easier, more convenient way to do it too!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I was hopeful that the new FX True Ballistic chronograph would become generally available but you really can't purchase one anywhere these days. It seems superior to the LabRadar in many respects. If this Garmin product it as good as the FX unit, I'll be in at $600. These radar based chronographs are more accurate and less clumsy than the optical units we've been using all these years.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

TedH wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:08 pm Garmin has come up with quite an impressive unit for us handloaders. If it turns out to be half as good as what I'm reading, it will be the death of the LabRadar units.

I've been wanting to buy a Labrador for a while, but I've been too busy to handload much lately.

I like that new Garmin unit, except for the non-replaceable battery. That might be a deal breaker. I refuse to buy a phone I can't replace the battery. Maybe the price will come down....
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

vancelw wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:36 pm
TedH wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:08 pm Garmin has come up with quite an impressive unit for us handloaders. If it turns out to be half as good as what I'm reading, it will be the death of the LabRadar units.

I've been wanting to buy a Labrador for a while, but I've been too busy to handload much lately.

I like that new Garmin unit, except for the non-replaceable battery. That might be a deal breaker. I refuse to buy a phone I can't replace the battery. Maybe the price will come down....
Now is the time if you want a Labradar. Tons hitting the used market at good prices since guys are dumping them for the Garmin.
NRA Life Member