Made a New Levergun Convert

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Made a New Levergun Convert

Post by COSteve »

I was at the range yesterday when an old working buddy stopped by taking a rest from sighting in his .375 H&H. Anyway, I had my 2 Rossi .357 mag leverguns and my 2 Uberti .45 Colt leverguns out just plinking and enjoying the nice weather. He asked about my leverguns and I told him about them. Then he mentioned that he was thinking of getting one to go with his SA pistols so I loaded a few rounds in both my Rossi rifle and my Uberti rifle and let him try them using the tang sights.

He was impressed with the actions of both as well as their accuracy at 200 yds with pistol ammo and said he really like how they felt at the shoulder. He also said that he'd heard that with the small, thin buttplates, that they kicked more than expected but he said he didn't thing so and really liked how they shot. So, then he says that he's been thinking of getting a 45-70 just for grins as he's looked up a number of different loads (another handloader) and wants to try some out.

I told him about the differences between the model 1892's action and the earlier model 1873's with it's toggle link system. Then I mentioned that the Winchester 1886 is a larger version of the model 1892 for the larger calibers like the 45-70 with a very strong action. Then I showed him a picture of a deluxe, case hardened version much like my 1873 Special Sporting Rifle on my phone from Winchester's web page and he was in love.

Winchester 1886.jpg
After I got back from the range I got a text from him saying that he had been looking on line and decided that he was going after one as soon as he could. Also, he told me he contacted another friend from work who had a set of 45-70 dies and a conversion kit for his Dillon 550 that he was willing to let go as he sold off his 45-70 trap door.

His friend also has some 45-70 brass and both 300 grn and 405 grn bullets for it. He said he's already got some Accurate 2200 and H-335 powder and LR primers so he is well on his way to getting everything set up. It's nice to turn another shooter/hunter on to leverguns. Besides being nostalgic, they are just a lot of fun to shoot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Made a New Levergun Convert

Post by RIDERED350r »

Great story!
Can't go wrong with a modern Winchester 1886 as long as a person can live with the tang safety. But that can be addressed and reverted to the original design too if one so desires.

I love my modern 1886. King of all lever action repeaters in my opinion. It's the pride of my safe.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Well I guess we will have to call you Reverend Steve, preacher of the lever gospel, from here on out! 8)
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:56 am Well I guess we will have to call you Reverend Steve, preacher of the lever gospel, from here on out! 8)
Thanks but I'm guessing he was primed and ready to take the plunge. I just gave him the opportunity to feel what it was like to shoot a couple and he sold himself.

(Besides, I talked to him about 6 months ago and he was grousing that he needed to find a new caliber to reload as developing the loads was very enjoyable for him.)
Steve
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

You have sentenced him to many purchases, well done.
It is not the critic who counts
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Paladin wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:42 amYou have sentenced him to many purchases, well done.
:lol: :lol: +1! And steering him toward the 1886 was a good move also. I don't fear any 45-70 loading in my Browning version, whereas I'm leery of the Marlin action. I've even broken down the couple of 100 375 Winchesters I had loaded near max and dropped the charges 5% for my 375 Marlin.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Griff wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:56 pm
Paladin wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:42 amYou have sentenced him to many purchases, well done.
:lol: :lol: +1! And steering him toward the 1886 was a good move also. I don't fear any 45-70 loading in my Browning version, whereas I'm leery of the Marlin action. I've even broken down the couple of 100 375 Winchesters I had loaded near max and dropped the charges 5% for my 375 Marlin.
Even "Ruger #1" loadings?

I've seen some say a modern '86 will run them. But I haven't grown the nerve to try it with mine and probably never will. I just don't want to chance it.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hard not to like leverguns....
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

RIDERED350r wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:26 pm
I've seen some say a modern '86 will run them. But I haven't grown the nerve to try it with mine and probably never will. I just don't want to chance it.
I've never owned a Ruger #1, so have never loaded to that level. More to the point is that I don't trust the Marlin at the same loadings as an 1886.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Griff wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:32 pm
RIDERED350r wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:26 pm
I've never owned a Ruger #1, so have never loaded to that level. More to the point is that I don't trust the Marlin at the same loadings as an 1886.
10-4, copy that Sir 👍🏻
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Knowing him, he'll likely load it a bit heavy. He's a big guy and a bit of a recoil junky even at close to 65.

After all, he was sighting in his .375 H&H Magnum for elk as he said his 30-06 using 165grn Sierra SPBT bullets and a full load of W-760 powder wasn't quite up to the performance he wanted.
Steve
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Paladin wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:42 am You have sentenced him to many purchases, well done.
Exactly! ENABLER!!! (says the pot to the kettle) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Awesome!

I took a “black rifle buddy” to the range recently and while he fooled around with the Aimpoint on his AR variant, I was busy making little sheep and turkey silhouettes spin with my new Henry carbine .22.

I let him shoot a few mag tubes full and the smile was noticeable. The guy even brought up how much fun that was in a follow up text the next day
----- Doug
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

There's a reason, or maybe several reasons why the lever rifle has remained a steadfast presence in the shooting world for 150+ years.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

RIDERED350r wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:56 pm There's a reason, or maybe several reasons why the lever rifle has remained a steadfast presence in the shooting world for 150+ years.
It's hard to describe the satisfaction of cycling the lever on a Win 92 action. Smooth, crisp, and the sound just makes me smile. Add to that the classic lines and the compact fit of a perfect firearm. If I had the $$, I'd own a rifle and carbine in every caliber Winchester makes them in.
Steve