Sighting in the 1862 Pocket Police

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Sighting in the 1862 Pocket Police

Post by JimT »

Went to the Range this morning and worked on the front sight. I had to cut it down quite a ways .. figured on that. But it's now hitting close to POA at 20 yards.
IMG_6131.JPG
IMG_6147.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Sighting in the 1862 Pocket Police

Post by GunnyMack »

Big improvement Jim!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Thanks. It helps to be able to see the sights. :lol:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Oh that is sweet! :mrgreen:

What sight did you use?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nice when things work out, well done Jim... 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:19 pm Oh that is sweet! :mrgreen:

What sight did you use?
It was an all steel sight blank that was intended for a Hawken rifle. I got it from Dixie Gun Works.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Very nice, good work.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Filing a dovetail is no easy task……..lots of angles can go wrong. That’s a nice detailed job and one I would have screwed up…….more than likely I would have pinned it with 1/8” pins and epoxied it on…..I must have a hundred front sights.

Inspiring…what ball do you use, a .375 or 379?:: My original uses a .379.
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:47 am Filing a dovetail is no easy task……..lots of angles can go wrong. That’s a nice detailed job and one I would have screwed up…….more than likely I would have pinned it with 1/8” pins and epoxied it on…..I must have a hundred front sights.

Inspiring…what ball do you use, a .375 or 379?:: My original uses a .379.
.375" works really well in this gun. Cuts a nice ring of lead when you seat it. Seems to be accurate if I do my part.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Very nice!!!!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Nothing ever wrong with the Pocket Police. A friend has one he bought in high school -- a loooong time ago as he is only a couple of years younger than I am. :lol:
That's a nice 20-yard target, Jim.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:04 am Nothing ever wrong with the Pocket Police. A friend has one he bought in high school -- a loooong time ago as he is only a couple of years younger than I am. :lol:
That's a nice 20-yard target, Jim.
Thanks. Every once in awhile I get lucky and wobble 'em pretty much close together.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:47 am Filing a dovetail is no easy task……..lots of angles can go wrong. That’s a nice detailed job and one I would have screwed up…….more than likely I would have pinned it with 1/8” pins and epoxied it on…..I must have a hundred front sights.
This isn't the best dovetail I've cut. It was an odd size and I had to clean up the sight quite a bit. But like I heard a guy say once, "The ditch may be crooked but I dug it all and you can run water down it!" :lol:
IMG_6157.JPG
IMG_6165.JPG
I had opened up the rear sight and squared it up .. works nicely with the new front sight.

IMG_6151.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Who cares about the ditch for any job that’s not important any redneck style will do……..but your file job is done right and tight……don’t forget, I’m an old head who has removed and reinstalled a thousand or two sights…..and have made many more fit on hundred year old guns when tolerances were haphazard at best…….and to hand cut a dovetail that close is no easy job……..that’s what milling machines and levels are for…….
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

They do make sight dovetail guides from hardened steel ,harder than files. And are just about goof proof . Fairly inexpensive as well. I've cut a few by hand using actual sight base dovetail file . They work excellent having only one live side other two are smooth.

Most of the barrels I do today I use dovetail cutter on the mill but even then I often adjust with the dovetail file for perfect fit.

When I was training in tech school in the 80's you had to hand file a block of steel square on all sides including end. And polish to 63 or better finish .Then it had to be checked on surface plate and be square and flat within .003" before they would let you start on any machine.

Many dropped out after they couldn't do it.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Pat C wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:18 pm They do make sight dovetail guides from hardened steel ,harder than files. And are just about goof proof . Fairly inexpensive as well. I've cut a few by hand using actual sight base dovetail file . They work excellent having only one live side other two are smooth.

Most of the barrels I do today I use dovetail cutter on the mill but even then I often adjust with the dovetail file for perfect fit.

When I was training in tech school in the 80's you had to hand file a block of steel square on all sides including end. And polish to 63 or better finish .Then it had to be checked on surface plate and be square and flat within .003" before they would let you start on any machine.

Many dropped out after they couldn't do it.
I have the guide for the 3/8" dovetail ... but this was an odd one. The guide does work very well and makes the job fairly straightforward.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JimT wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:58 pm
Ysabel Kid wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:19 pm Oh that is sweet! :mrgreen:

What sight did you use?
It was an all steel sight blank that was intended for a Hawken rifle. I got it from Dixie Gun Works.
Thanks Jim! :D
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Beautiful picture of your lower forty and flowers, Six!