OT - NAA Guardian 380 ACP

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

OT - NAA Guardian 380 ACP

Post by kimwcook »

Anyone have any personal experience with this little pistol? How's the trigger pull? If the pull's atrocious, can it be easily smithed to an acceptable level? How about slide bite? I have a thick web that usually precludes me from shooting these little autos. Any information would be appreciated.
Old Law Dawg
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: OT - NAA Guardian 380 ACP

Post by Old Ironsights »

I have the NAA Guardian .32ACP. It is defnately snappy with the hot Fiocchi's I feed it... but it is thinner than the .380. No slide bite for me anyway.

Trigger pull is long, moderately heavy, but smooth. IMO appropriate for a DAO hammer-fired belly gun.

There are very few times and places where I don't have that gun with me.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'm getting tired of packing my S&W J frame and trying to keep it from looking like I've got a rock in my pocket, or it prints, or other issues. A Guardian or Seecamp in 380 ACP would be more concealable and packing friendly.
Old Law Dawg
Oz n bolivia
Levergunner

Post by Oz n bolivia »

You might ask Jeff Quinn if he has done any testing on the NAA. http://www.gunblast.com/Archive.htm/ . I looked but could not find the article I was looking for in his files. I seem to remember an article on 3 on the pocket pistols in .380 which compared three brands and I think the NAA was one of them.

Oz
Remaining a curious student throughout life renders one’s life interesting and progressive.
Robert Smyth
He stated that the way I feel.
Knowledge is all we do, see, touch, hear, read. What we do with that knowledge shows our wisdom.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

kimwcook wrote:I'm getting tired of packing my S&W J frame and trying to keep it from looking like I've got a rock in my pocket, or it prints, or other issues. A Guardian or Seecamp in 380 ACP would be more concealable and packing friendly.
People sniff at the .32ACP, but if you feed it the right ammo, it does pretty good - especially at belly-gun/mugger ranges.
http://naaminis.com/vel32new.html

Let me get my wallet out for Mr. Mugger...

A torso full of 900+fps 60gr HPs makes for a really bad day for someone.

IMO the .380 is just a might too big for this kind of carry... and IMO this kind of carry is just too useful in an urban enviornment to be discounted.
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

kimwcook wrote:I'm getting tired of packing my S&W J frame and trying to keep it from looking like I've got a rock in my pocket, or it prints, or other issues. A Guardian or Seecamp in 380 ACP would be more concealable and packing friendly.
All J Frames are not created equal......My 317 AirLight is 8 shots of Stingers and very light, 11oz?, and concealable.....not as thin as what you're looking at, but I'm cynical about little autos reliability....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I've got the 649 Bodyguard in 357 and it's a handful with full power loads. Plus it's quite a bit bigger than the NAA's or Seecamps. I understand the pieces being a bit finicky about ammo, but I believe with quality factory ammo those problems have mostly been solved. I've shot autos for years and am quite understanding of all of their hiccups.
Old Law Dawg
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

After reading up on, and listening to well-intended advice (a mistake), then first buying (then subsequently selling) what appealed to me, I discovered the truth - all small DAO's are not created equal.
Most likely because every gun designer and/or gun user's hands are not created equal, either.

It is essential to at least try to handle one physically in your own mitts - even if it's someone's used beater.
It's infinitely better to be able to actually fire and manipulate one - even if you have to buy a used thing or rent one at some range or gun shop - as each maker's gun has a very different feel and ops method, and ergonomic, some or all of which may or may not suit you & your hand(s).

I went through a NAA, a Seecamp, a Kahr, and an AMT backup, before I settled on a Kel-Tec P-3-AT - because it felt & shot the best for me.
YMMV, of course.

That was all prior to the recent advent of the Ruger LCP (.380), which is also worth a look-see, IMHO.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

Do not overlook the Kel-Tec .380 P-3AT
Carrying that gun in my back pocket in a KD Holster http://kdholsters.com/pdc.php is thinner and more concealable than my normal money wallet. At something like 10 ounces and 6 or 7 rounds of either hardball or Federal Hydro-shocks - I would be able to protect myself and my family while outside the home. It is not a gun I would take to a pistol fight - that would be my Glock 23 - but for protection it works for me.

While there have been reports of this model not running 100% - I have not had any issues with me and would suggest you take a look at it before buying the NAA.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Thanks for the responses guys. I do plan on having one in my hands before any decision is made. As stated, I have thick webbed hands and it creates problems with small autos. Even a 1911 with standard grip safety and hammer will easily have my web bleeding within a couple of shots.

I have seen the Kel-Tec in 380 and this particular one was a jammamatic. I do know a few who do carry it for a second.

Just looking for personal experiences and alternatives. I like the design and looks of the NAA Guardian and the Seecamp. I'm not much of a plastic type guy, although I do own a Glock 17.
Old Law Dawg
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

I purchased one of the first 380 guardians to come out (3 digit ser. no.) If my pants are on, it's with me. It replaced a 32 guardian (couldn't find a seecamp back then). It's slightly longer wider and heavier than the 32 but still easily carried in a pocket without dragging my pants down or printing obviously even wearing jeans (with the proper pocket holster). The trigger pull was approx. 10-12# when new but within a few hundred rounds has smoothed out to about 8 or 9# now but it's perfect for pocket carry. to give you an idea of my size I'm 6 foot even and go between 185 and 200#. My hands are on the meaty side and slide bite has never been a problem for me. My gun has never failed to go bang when the trigger was pulled nor have I experienced any failures to feed or eject even on the last round. 6+1 rounds of cor bon 90 grain +p's that clock slightly over 1000 fps from my gun make me feel pretty confident about most any situation. From my personal experience I can highly recomend this gun however ymmv. (p.s. it's not a target pistol but it's no trouble to keep 7 rounds on a paper plate rapid fire at 7 yards.)
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Slimster, beings you're the only one to reply so far that has had both the 32 and the 380 what's the difference in recoil and if you could now choose between the two, which one would you choose?
Old Law Dawg
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

The recoil of the 380 is somewhat more than that of the 32 but not excessively so. even with +P's the recoil is not at all horrendous. By the way I still have the 32 and occasionally press it into duty on the weak side. I also managed to get my hands on a seecamp 32 finally and one day I may get lucky and find a seecamp 380. They are supposed to be the same size as their 32 but cannot take +P ammo.