.480 Ruger case dimemensions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

.480 Ruger case dimemensions

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

When I got a .480 Ruger double, I ordered a set of Lee dies and was doing just fine until I opened a box of Hornady new brass.

The head/rim diameter on the Hornady brass is apparently different from the fired cases that I have been loading. I could, with effort, push the new bras into the Lee shell holder but I needed a screwdriver to pry it out again.

So I decided to order a Hornady shell holder and it works just fine with all of my brass.

Just a tip, not all shell holders are identical.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Re: .480 Ruger case dimemensions

Post by Walt »

I had trouble with a Lee .41 mag carbide sizer die in that it didn't size my fired brass enough to easily chamber in my Ruger revolvers. My Smith chambers are larger and allowed easy chambering but I had to order another brand of sizing die to fix the issue.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Probably some problem with the gun itself, distorting the case heads. I'd hate to see you scrap such a nice gun though, so if you want to send it to me for a couple weeks ( '...two weeks, to flatten the curve...' :D ) I'll be glad to check it out.

Send plenty of ammo of both case types, so I can check them out for safety.

I'll be glad to pay postage though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yes I have also found that about shell holders but what I found was the through holes differed in size. Some will work just fine on a hand prime tool others won't.
Seems like common sense would have the makers all on the same page but we all know common sense doesn't play a role these days!

And shell holder's are HARD- ya cant drill the center holes to use with hand primer tools.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Now that’s really interesting!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Here are the SAAMI Standards by which the ammunition and chambers are supposed to be made. Note there is allowance for over and under size.
480 Cartridge.JPG
480 Chamber.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Thanks Jim.

Since the parent case was originally the .45-70 you would think that Lee would have had this worked out.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Could be that you got a bad shell holder, the cutter was worn or it was a Friday afternoon/Monday morning production :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:09 pm Could be that you got a bad shell holder, the cutter was worn or it was a Friday afternoon/Monday morning production :lol:
As likely an explanation as I have heard.:-)