Pistol Cal expansion tests

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Pistol Cal expansion tests

Post by wvfarrier »

Ok, so these two were fired at 65 yards
#1- Winchester 1892, 24" barrel in 357 mag.
Handloaded 140 grain XTP at 2405 fps (avg)
This round was hard to capture, it shredded through a 1/4" piece of leather covering a 1# bologna pack and then 6-gallon water jugs!!! It was laying on the ground behind the 6th jug. The first 2 jugs literally exploded into multiple pieces. It expanded to 60 caliber with 90% weight retention.

#2- Henry Big Boy 45 Colt
Handloaded 300 grain XTP. I did not get a velocity on these but they are incredibly accurate and POWERFUL.
This on, using the same medium went to the 5th water jug with a hole in the back of the jug. I would use this load for anything in North America. The first to jugs essentially disintegrated. It expanded to 70 caliber with 95% weight retention.

I plan to use both these for deer/bear this year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by wvfarrier on Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Pistol Cal expansion tests

Post by GunnyMack »

Good b'ar medicine!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

wvfarrier wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:42 pm Ok, so these two were fried at 65 yards
#1- Winchester 1892, 24" barrel in 357 mag.
Handloaded 140 grain XTP at 2405 fps (avg)
This round was hard to capture, it shredded through a 1/4" piece of leather covering a 1# bologna pack and then 6-gallon water jugs!!! It was laying on the ground behind the 6th jug. The first 2 jugs literally exploded into multiple pieces. It expanded to 60 caliber with 90% weight retention.

#2- Henry Big Boy 45 Colt
Handloaded 300 grain XTP. I did not get a velocity on these but they are incredibly accurate and POWERFUL.
This on, using the same medium went to the 5th water jug with a hole in the back of the jug. I would use this load for anything in North America. The first to jugs essentially disintegrated. It expanded to 70 caliber with 95% weight retention.

I plan to use both these for deer/bear this year.
I too prefer my bologna Fried but dont know how you did that at 65 yards :)
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Thanks for sharing your results.