Big Bore leverguns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Big Bore leverguns

Post by AJMD429 »

Kind of short but a nice little video showing some of the options we have.

https://youtu.be/BfGqDSRk7uA

Love the BHA 89 myself. Big Medicine for sure.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Re: Big Bore leverguns

Post by wvfarrier »

I love my 1895 in 405 win
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

He fumbled some stuff but otherwise, interesting. We were just referring to the .450 Marlin in the '94 in another thread. It's impressive to run that in a rifle like the 1894 with the middling sized receiver.

My 71 in .450 Alaskan outruns his Turnbull 50 a bit but my barrel is 20" and is full heavy to the end. I get about 2140 fps with a 400grain Swift A-Frame FN. I'm hoping to improve on the 3031 load when the weather cools off by testing AR-Comp and maybe A2495.

The push to the shoulder really isn't that bad. Might be the weight of my barrel that softens things a bit.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I didn't realize the 50 Alaskan was a .510 bullet. Or that they were using BMG bullets cut down. Ill have to do a little research on it out of curiosity.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Love me some big bore lever rifles!

I have a modern 1886 Takedown worked over by Turnbull in 45-90 and aspire to have them build me a second complete front half in 50-110. They can do it and have done it, had them qoute the build but I just didn't have the fundage at the time. It's still on the to-do list
IMG_20220912_155915490.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

RIDERED350r wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:50 pm Love me some big bore lever rifles!

I have a modern 1886 Takedown worked over by Turnbull in 45-90 and aspire to have them build me a second complete front half in 50-110. They can do it and have done it, had them qoute the build but I just didn't have the fundage at the time. It's still on the to-do list
I'm also planning to add a 50-110 smooth bore barrel (26") to mine. I'm looking to make shotshells from 2.7" 50 Basic brass and perhaps have them marked "50 WCF Shot". Would have CH Tool and Die make a rose crimper for them. Sort of a 32 Gauge but with more oomph and able to deliver a somewhat larger charge.
71LeftReceiver.JPG
71TwoBarrelSet.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:20 pm

I'm also planning to add a 50-110 smooth bore barrel (26") to mine. I'm looking to make shotshells from 2.7" 50 Basic brass and perhaps have them marked "50 WCF Shot". Would have CH Tool and Die make a rose crimper for them. Sort of a 32 Gauge but with more oomph and able to deliver a somewhat larger charge.

71LeftReceiver.JPG 71TwoBarrelSet.JPG
Man that's perty!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

RIDERED350r wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:26 pm Man that's perty!
When I saw the picture of yours I knew those stunning colors had come from the same place as mine.

Is that a 26" barrel on yours?
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:29 pm
RIDERED350r wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:26 pm Man that's perty!
When I saw the picture of yours I knew those stunning colors had come from the same place as mine.

Is that a 26" barrel on yours?
😁😁

Yes it's a 26" barrel

My '86 is one of the limited run offered in 1999, so it has USRA New Haven and Miroku stamping. It was originally a 45-70, had Turnbull ream it to 45-90 while it was in their shop for all the other work. Deciphering the serial was a little tricky as it uses Browning letter/number system but it isn't easily searchable in Browning's main serial database.. I don't recall now exactly where I found it, but I figured out mine is the 17th unit to leave the factory in that run.

I'd love to get a Turnbull 1892 Deluxe Takedown to pair with it. They had one finished when I picked mine up. I checked it out, really wanted to bring it home as well but I just didn't have the cash. They offered it to me at a "since you're here" discount, which was very tempting. 🤣

Here is what it looked like before I took it to Turnbull's shop
43939.jpg
43927.jpg
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:20 pm

71LeftReceiver.JPG 71TwoBarrelSet.JPG
I can't get over that engraving and inlay. Just mind boggling that it's all done by hand.

When I was choosing the checkering pattern the pattern your have was in the final running with the pattern I chose. Ended up going with the F pattern, I just like that ace of spades sort of look on the F pattern.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Marlin 1895 45-70, nothing else is really necessary.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

RIDERED350r wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:55 pm When I was choosing the checkering pattern the pattern your have was in the final running with the pattern I chose. Ended up going with the F pattern, I just like that ace of spades sort of look on the F pattern.
Yeah, I liked both E and F but went with E for the ribbons. A and B were just too busy for me.

Mine is a late 50's model 71. Obviously a post-war gun, short tang, standard ... very ordinary but rock solid. Had a Lyman 56 sight on it. I really wrestled with the decision to have it worked on. It still had the original action grease in it when I bought it. I'm not sure it had been fired more than a handful of times. No marks on the loading gate. I'm probably going to get yelled at for messing with a barely used original on this board.

This picture shows off the colors but you can't see the engraving at this angle. They did, and still do, great color case work.
71LeftColors.JPG
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Those are two nice rifles gents……quality….…and no, Mr. McNut, I ain’t gonna yell at you……there’s 56,000 71’s out there…..it’s not as if they are Henry’s. Besides, it’s yours, your money and you not wasting it on junk you can’t get a return on…..

I have an original 1894 Marlin smoothbore that’s choked……..nothing is safe from around 20-30 yards away….holds a tight pattern so if you get one done make sure you tell the builder you want it gradually choked towards the end and not some cheap looking screw in thingy.

Don’t know how many loadings you’re gonna get with that special star crimper but it’s not going to be many…….I just load a 44-40 the regular way and use a cardboard wad between the powder and the shot and another at the mouth then run the loaded round part way into a 38-40 FLS. Squeezes it nice and is instantly reloadable with no damage to the case. Feeds fine….

But then again, I don’t think yours will be a working gun. 🤩
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Sixgun wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:43 pm Don’t know how many loadings you’re gonna get with that special star crimper but it’s not going to be many…….I just load a 44-40 the regular way and use a cardboard wad between the powder and the shot and another at the mouth then run the loaded round part way into a 38-40 FLS. Squeezes it nice and is instantly reloadable with no damage to the case. Feeds fine….
I was worried about the feed of the big fat end of that 50-110 case and was thinking a star crimp would give it a more bullet-like profile to make feeding more reliable. If I can get cases at 2.7" instead of 2.4", after the star crimp they would probably be about 2.65" OAL. I suppose I can test it without first ... with just a card and bit of a roll crimp. Probably would require frequent annealing with that drastic crimp ... as you noted.

My thought was to do a star crimp, put a dollop of carnauba red wax on the tip (like they use on the Maker's Mark bottle), and then stamp the shot size into the wax while it's still hot ... 4, 6, 9, etc.

I really had the rifle done that way because I was taken with the Harold Johnson stories back in the day. You just don't run across a lot of JKR marked .450 Alaskans in the state of Florida so I had Turnbull make one up and trimmed it up with a few excessive features.

What really surprised me was how well the skeleton grip cap and skeleton butt-plate came out. The wood inside of them has the ribbons that match the E pattern checkering on the rest of the stock.
71GripCap.JPG
71ButtPlate.JPG
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

I've never seen skeleton grip cap and buttplate. Very nice!

You really went all in on that rifle. 👍🏻
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:28 pm I didn't realize the 50 Alaskan was a .510 bullet. Or that they were using BMG bullets cut down. Ill have to do a little research on it out of curiosity.
That's one reason I like the 500 Smith & Wesson (0.500") as a levergun cartridge, in addition to the slightly shorter case maybe making a little shorter lever throw. I haven't done it yet but I've been tempted to load up some 50 caliber sabots and see what else I can use as projectiles.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:05 am
GunnyMack wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:28 pm I didn't realize the 50 Alaskan was a .510 bullet. Or that they were using BMG bullets cut down. Ill have to do a little research on it out of curiosity.
That's one reason I like the 500 Smith & Wesson (0.500") as a levergun cartridge, in addition to the slightly shorter case maybe making a little shorter lever throw. I haven't done it yet but I've been tempted to load up some 50 caliber sabots and see what else I can use as projectiles.
Yep, 510 stuff could be difficult to find unless you have a mould. Of course the same is true for the 500 but like you say sabots could keep you in food if the zombie apocalypse were to happen! :lol:

Ok Doc your idea so WE are tasking you with this project- start loading my friend. :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

I've always wondered how Big Horn achieves the color case finish on their stainless guns. Do they over-plate with a layer of iron on the guns that will be color cased?
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Mr. Mc2NutsJob,

Your rifle is one of the finest finished rifles with extreme craftsmanship I’ve ever seen. I know you have some serious bucks into that so I’m gonna ask, “Can I have it?” I have an uncle who lives in Celebration so you can drop it off there. Wow! Thanks pal. By the way, I’ll take Rider350’s ‘86 too….they will make a fine pair down in the gun room.

On to serious business…yes, by using a longer case it will help or actually solves any feeding issues. I make 45 acp shot loads using cut down .308 brass and then run a 38-55 FLS down as far as a bullet would go…..those babies feed as slick as snot on your steering wheel in 95 degree heat. But I always experiment first using a standard case….ya just might save yo self da big bucks.——006 and 11/16ths.

RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:24 am I've always wondered how Big Horn achieves the color case finish on their stainless guns. Do they over-plate with a layer of iron on the guns that will be color cased?
Their case hardening is done by a contractor as of last I knew. I believe it's genuine bone charcoal color case hardening like Turnbull's, just a different recipes that produces a different arrangement on color. Very few actually do true color case hardening and pretty much all that do are higher end custom shops.

The color case finish you see offered by regular manufacturers like Henry, current Winchester, Uberti and the like is a chemical finish as opposed to the real McCoy done by Turnbull and a small handful of others.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Sixgun wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:54 am Mr. Mc2NutsJob,

Your rifle is one of the finest finished rifles with extreme craftsmanship I’ve ever seen. I know you have some serious bucks into that so I’m gonna ask, “Can I have it?” I have an uncle who lives in Celebration so you can drop it off there. Wow! Thanks pal. By the way, I’ll take Rider350’s ‘86 too….they will make a fine pair down in the gun room.

On to serious business…yes, by using a longer case it will help or actually solves any feeding issues. I make 45 acp shot loads using cut down .308 brass and then run a 38-55 FLS down as far as a bullet would go…..those babies feed as slick as snot on your steering wheel in 95 degree heat. But I always experiment first using a standard case….ya just might save yo self da big bucks.——006 and 11/16ths.
Thanks for the kind words Sir 🙂
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

It used to be done with molten cyanide!
Friends of mine had a heat treat shop and back in the 50s a hurricane flooded the town and all that cyanide got washed right to the state fish hatchery! The business paid for every dead fish !

I doubt cyanide is still used anymore...

The best colors ever were I believe from an English house, the bone they used were taken from a mass grave I believe in India. Yup human bone !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

RIDERED350r wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:53 am [

Thanks for the kind words Sir 🙂
Just speaking the truth. 😄. ..and thank you for the reply…..The Japs make the best by far of any repo……I’d go as far as saying they are stronger and will outlast the originals but do lack the finer craftsmanship when it comes to “attention to detail”…..but you took care of that nicely….

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Sixgun wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:54 am Your rifle is one of the finest finished rifles with extreme craftsmanship I’ve ever seen. I know you have some serious bucks into that so I’m gonna ask, “Can I have it?”
Thanks. I enjoyed working with them to build it ... and then all of my money started to go toward these three kids. Two are moved out now, but somehow they still cost me money. I'm hoping to get back into things soon ... I've been on the board more lately than I have been in several years. I bought that Taylor's SAA recently as well ... probably my first gun purchase in 20 years. You've probably noticed that I've been full of questions about bullets, lubes, casting, etc. All things I'd like to pursue.

I'll put you on the list for my 71 if you put me on the list for one of those 45-90 ELTD's. I'm thinking I'll be coming out ahead on that. I know you've got stuff like that stashed away that make my rifle nothing more than a curiosity. Plus, you get to shoot a lot more in retirement now. Now that I think of it, when you go, that is going to be one completely insane estate sale. People are going to be flying in for that one.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Speaking of Taylor's SAs....I only have two SA wheelguns, both are cheap 22s and they serve their purpose for waging war on soup cans.

The rest of my wheelguns are S&Ws, 7 of them, only frame size I don't currently own is L.

I've recently developed an itch for my first, or rather first two SA centerfires and the Taylors by Uberti Colt 1873 and Remington 1875 both tickle me. I'd like to get one of each at some point. They will be my next handgun purchases once I get through with this now three years long lever rifle kick 🤣
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hey mcNutty…..there will not be an estate sale. There may be 2 dozen left when I buy the farm…..my best buddy owns the largest gun shop in the county……

Kids will always cost you money no matter how old they get. It was different for me and most people my age as we knew once we turned 18 we were out of the house and had to fend for ourselves.

Years after I graduated from HS I was at a gun show with my dad and something very unusual came up…I said, “dad, I’m a few hundred short, can you spot me until we get home?……He looked at me like he never saw me before. “Ok” he said, but just this once” and my dad still had his eighth grade lunch money…..that’s how it was back in the day, we were forced to be responsible.

Seriously, near everything I have is for sale and I sell at a fair price, a price where the buyer can sell it the next day and get his money back.. I sold Jays son a very nice 1895 takedown in .35 complete with dies,brass, etc……and where he lives, Alaska, he could near double his money…..how about a 90-95% EXLWT 1886 in 45-70 with mint bore and a thousand dollar tang sight on it…for 45? Mmmmmmmmm….

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:45 am
Yep, 510 stuff could be difficult to find unless you have a mould. Of course the same is true for the 500 but like you say sabots could keep you in food if the zombie apocalypse were to happen! :lol:

Ok Doc your idea so WE are tasking you with this project- start loading my friend. :D
I just think it would be cool to load a piece of pea gravel in a sabot and harvest a Whitetail with it.

“…What did you kill that deer with…?”

“….a rock…” :lol:

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Where's our pic of the 89 doc? I would love to have one of those some day.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:23 pm He fumbled some stuff but otherwise, interesting. We were just referring to the .450 Marlin in the '94 in another thread. It's impressive to run that in a rifle like the 1894 with the middling sized receiver.

My 71 in .450 Alaskan outruns his Turnbull 50 a bit but my barrel is 20" and is full heavy to the end. I get about 2140 fps with a 400grain Swift A-Frame FN. I'm hoping to improve on the 3031 load when the weather cools off by testing AR-Comp and maybe A2495.

The push to the shoulder really isn't that bad. Might be the weight of my barrel that softens things a bit.
My 50 Alaskan gets 2050 fps with the 535 grain Woodleigh but it in a 26 inch barrel instead of the shorty.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:45 am

You look for 500 Nitro express bullets. Typically, I have when available, Barnes originals in 300 grain and 450 grain, Woodleigh 500 grain, 535 grain and 570 grains. You buy alot when you find them. I also have a .500 grain Lee mould.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The way he's working the lever on all those leverguns leads me to believe they're sure not very smooth operation? On my old 1881 and 1895 Marlins from the late 1800's the levers work extremely smooth, and no reason to put undue force to operate them when cycling the actions.
I love my 1881's in .40-60M and .45-70, as they're just a hoot to shoot, and very accurate.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:58 pm Where's our pic of the 89 doc? I would love to have one of those some day.
I’ll have to find it. I have one where I have it next to a Marlin Guide Gun, and a Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag, just to show that the 8 shot, 89 carbine version is actually about the same heft and bulk as the guide gun, and slightly shorter than 1894, if I recall correctly. Now granted, one could buy a couple of the Guide Guns plus an 1894 for the price I paid for the BHA 89, but it was at a time in my life that I had the money to spend and wanted something that I could say was pretty much best-in-class. Certainly some of the high-end factory loads throw out over 4000 foot pounds of energy from that shorter-throw ‘pistol’ cartridge, and probably more practically an incredibly high Taylor knockout factor (aided by the big ol’ meplat on those 0.500” bullets) for those who like numbers. I like the idea that I could have a lever gun that has the beauty of the dark blue/black (nitrided ‘Glock’) finish on the durability of a base of stainless steel, without the gaudy stainless glare, or the rust vulnerability of the ordinary blues steel.

It is one of the “F-with Brothers” ready for any wild cape buffalo I might see in the hills of southern Indiana. Both brothers share the first name “Don’t” (the other brother is a Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in 375 Ruger). One is for 0-200 yards and the other 200-500 yards.

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Absolutely gorgeous rifles!