Remington Model 700 - Value

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Remington Model 700 - Value

Post by Bridger »

I’m thinking about selling or trading this Remington Model 700 in 30-06. I like it, but I’ve really got my heart set on replacing it with a Mauser style action- Husqvarna, JC Higgins Model 50, Winchester Model 54, etc.

It’s in good shape, actually I think in better shape than the pictures indicate. It’s kinda got a dull look in the pics that it’s doesn’t have in person. Anyway, it’s just got some normal hunting/safe dings etc. Made in 2010 I believe and hasn’t been shot much. The safety is stiff, but works as it should.

The other thing I want is iron sights. It drives me nuts that modern bolt actions don’t ever have irons. Not even as an option.

I don’t really know why I’m set on a CRF other than I’ve read about that being the choice for dangerous game and such. Of course I don’t hunt any dangerous game here in Oklahoma but I do hope to make it to AK one days.

Anyway, what would you value this rifle at? $6-700? I’m also including pics of a Sporterized Springfield in a local shop I could trade for, and Springfields seem to have a great reputation and this is a high serial number Gun that’s safe to shoot.

Thoughts? Opinions? Would I be screwing up to trade this for the Springfield?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Remington Model 700 - Value

Post by 44shooter »

I saw an absolutely beautiful sporterized Springfield at my LCS for $500 if you’re interested. It was too heavy for my tastes but very classy. I think your Remington would be easier to sell than that 03 but not enough to matter if the other floats your boat. I tend to like crf over pushers too. I especially prefer fixed ejectors over plungers. you might consider a new or recent Ruger Hawkeye or Win M70 as well.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yes, look at the Ruger Hawkeye series, I have one in 338 Federal and it's accurate tho a bit sharp in the recoil department being plastic stock and HARD rubber recoil pad. I think the 'guide series ' has irons installed.

I had a 700 in '06 just like that and I learned I'd rather shoot my 338 Win Mag , the Remington stock geometry just kicked the snot out of me. Although I built my 338WM so the stock has better geometry for me.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Your BDL, IMHO, is worth about double what that springfield is worth. You should be able to get at least $650 out of your BDL and probably more. I have your twin on that BDL but mine is about 35 years older. Put thousands of rounds thru it.
Bought a Springfield like show in the pics, a few years ago, just before Covid, and think I paid $250 for it. Seems to be not in demand for them like they used to be.
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

Well, I have and use an 06 in both a Springfield and Remington 700, also have an FN 98 and Gew 98 in an 06. My favorite action of the four is the Springfield. They allow the lock out for single feeding which I like. They have a very smooth action and I like the bolt knob that allows it to be manually manipulated. Being stripper clip friendly is also nice. But I grew up hunting with my father's, and familiarity is nice, so maybe I'm biased.

Around here (Wyoming), the Remington 700's command some pretty good prices. Most I see in pawn shops and sporting good stores are north of $600 and some quite a bit north of that---but not all are 06's. The most recent 700 in an 06 I've seen for sale was last weekend and it was near the $700 mark and in a pawn shop that has good prices for resale. It was in nice shape, but yours looks like it's in good shape also. It seems like some folks here pay a premium for a certain series of the Model 700 actions----I believe it might be a C series. I guess they believe the workmanship-----metal machining was better on those. Don't quote me as to the series, as I'm not sure, but it might pay to do a little research on which action series is the most desirable in case you have that series.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Rockrat wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:01 am Your BDL, IMHO, is worth about double what that springfield is worth. You should be able to get at least $650 out of your BDL and probably more. I have your twin on that BDL but mine is about 35 years older. Put thousands of rounds thru it.
Bought a Springfield like show in the pics, a few years ago, just before Covid, and think I paid $250 for it. Seems to be not in demand for them like they used to be.
I agree 100%…….that’s the older style most likely made in the seventies, early eighties when quality came out of Remington…….look at the barrel, on the left side, near the breech and you will see letters stamped……the first letter is the month it was made ..
BLACKPODWER…..and then there will be another letter or two….write it down and google “Remington barrel codes” and the second letter will be the year.

Sometimes we just need a change in our lives but your making a mistake selling that for a Mauser that was used to kill GI’s….and I’m half German, my mother being a war bride…..same with those Japs, I hate them too.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I think you're in the ballpark at $600. That's a very useful, classic rifle. Unfortunately too many people overlook the grand old 30-06 these days for one of the newer fashionable cartridges.
NRA Life Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

TedH wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:34 pm I think you're in the ballpark at $600. That's a very useful, classic rifle. Unfortunately too many people overlook the grand old 30-06 these days for one of the newer fashionable cartridges.
I’d have a hard time thinking of something in the continental US that you couldn’t hunt with a bolt action 30-06 other than small-game (and there are ‘squirrel snd bunny loads’ for the 30-06 if you don’t mind the change in impact and sighting).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

Thanks for the input so far guys. I knew there’d be some food for thought here. I still haven’t made my mind up what to do, but I will go back and say I really like the 30-06 caliber and only intend to get rid of this one for another 30-06. I have just been wanting a controlled feed one instead of a push feed like the 700. So that Springfield I showed a couple pics of in the first post has been on my mind.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I have never sold a gun to buy another gun without regretting it later! That '06 will do everything you need it to do. Save your money and buy the gun you want but keep what you got.

I bought a 98 Mauser in .270 for $200 a few years back. It is my utility beater rifle and shoots straight.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm in agreement with those that advise keeping your Remington 700. I have one from 1979/1980, that's my favorite deer rifle. I took several deer in CA when I lived there with it. Never let me down. When I wanted a '03, it never entered my mind to sell off a gun. I've done that before and regretted each and every one. And it costs dearly when you later try to replace what you already had.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

Griff wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:37 am I'm in agreement with those that advise keeping your Remington 700. I have one from 1979/1980, that's my favorite deer rifle. I took several deer in CA when I lived there with it. Never let me down. When I wanted a '03, it never entered my mind to sell off a gun. I've done that before and regretted each and every one. And it costs dearly when you later try to replace what you already had.
Aint that the truth
I have sold so many when I was a kid it would make a grown Man cry

Its been my experience that The Remington 700 Rifles are on average the Most accurate .

Now that is not saying that another brand,Howa,CZ,Winchester ,Interarms ,Savage,Weatherby,Ruger et al cannot be Accurate ,but I dare say that if a man randomely got 20 rifles of each brand that The Remington 700 Rifles would be way more accurate with almost any of them able to shoot 3 shot 1 inch groups at a hundred yards ,and with some brand of factory loads no less.