Better'n Workin'

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Better'n Workin'

Post by Griff »

I just had the worst afternoon ever at the range. If it could go wrong, it did. 1st the Chronograph didn't want to turn on... So I figured I'd just forgo that bit... Then I realized that I didn't pack my tool box, which carries supplies, spare parts, tools, etc. All I brought was my range box, a 45Cal GI can. My flask was a back up flask, that I have only occasionally used... and it's either not quite as easy to use as my favorite, (which split open on my last outing, age is creeping up on everything)... So my shot to shot variance was atrocious. In looking at what supplies I did bring, I only had about a 1/3 a box of balls. I guess I wouldn't be testing all four different caps on each of the 4 guns I had along. Well, that then got cut down to 3 guns, as the nipples for one of them was in that missing tool box! Along with my plastic mallet needed to separate barrel from frame of the Patersons. Not being one to give up, I did get one Paterson apart, not the one works well, the other, that seems like it has 12 steps in both the cocking and firing phase... sometimes it seems like it takes both index fingers to pull the trigger.

Anyway, I charge both revolvers, the Paterson with five shots, the 1851 with six. So there I sit with bright sun all around, but I'm in the shade, trying to watch my loading... and can't seem to see that well... surely it'll be ok! Not... Oh look, the chronograph is sitting there patiently waiting for the 1st shot! Okay, the 1851 is still in hand, I'll cap it first and fire a string using the CCI #11Magnum caps, I bought some time before I started using Remington #10 religiously... like maybe in the 1990s? Or earlier? Anyway, I don't want to dump out my snail capper full of Remington #10s so I attempt to load an in-line capper keep in the range box for percussion revolvers. Since they're shorter than Remington #10s, they seem to tilt and sit sideways in the capper more than #10s... It's been so long since I've used CCIs, I must have forgotten this quirk! So, anyway... finally get the capper loaded, surely it will be easier to cap than just ol' fat fingered Fred... NOT! It might have been easier if I just hand capped. Finally, done with that and five shots fire off... five shots are recorded on the chronograph.... WHAT? An average of 480.4 fps? I know I saw a 630 something in the string. On review... the low ball was shot #5, 228.4 fps. Ended up with an ES of 403.6... Oh well, maybe I did better loading the Paterson? Foolish old men! Okay, maybe marginally better. It's definitely a tighter chamber and bore than my Signature Series 1851. It's 5 shot average was 787.6 fps with a high of 899.0fps and a low of 642.4. Definitely not consistent.

So I figure I'll go back to the 1851 and pay more attention... Oh... did I mention it was nearly 95ºF at the range? And this time the chronograph didn't want to cooperate. 1st it decided to add a shot 2 in between shot # 1 and my next one, which it recorded as #3! That's okay, I have a calculator and can figure the actual results. So I fire shot #3, which the chronograph doesn't record. Okay, I can live with four shot string... and fire the next shot #4. Ah... not so good, a cap only fire. S'alright, I can recap... nope, gun's locked up tight. I hold the gun in position for several minutes hoping it's not a delay fire, but finally realize that nothing further is going to happen. Taking the barrel off, the first thing I see is a ball nearly all the way in the forcing cone. Look at the chamber and there sits my wad, sideways... and looking thru the nipple, I can see daylight out the front of the cylinder. Okay, I'm not perfect... a dry hole! Not my first, probably not my last, but with years in the interim, it's still demoralizing. So the day just ended, my squib rod is on my gun cart back home. My short pistol squib stick is in that tool box, also sitting in the living room to picked up on the way out!

Yes, the worst day at the range is still better than the best day at work! And there's always tomorrow, a cowboy match to go to. But, I'd better take some unmentionables with me as sometimes in the heat of the summer the land owner declares the range BP free. But, now I'd better go outside and fire off the last two chambers from the 1851 Signature Series. Hope y'all get a chuckle outta my day... I'll probably see the humor in about a month!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Better'n Workin'

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I know what you mean. I sometimes sneak off just to get some grass under my feet. I’ve arrived with no ammo for the sixgun I’m planning on using. But it’s never a wasted trip. I just grab my old 94-22 from under the back seat and take a walk through the brush.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Good story, Griff! Sounds just like one of my better days.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Who was it that sang ' momma said there would be days like this '
I think we have all shown up at the range and forgot something but you win this round ! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Good old Cap n Ball revolvers great fun but boy so many things to go wrong...I still love 'em.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.