Lawn Mowin'

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Lawn Mowin'

Post by Griff »

For the past several years I've owned two lawn mowers... a John Deere and a Craftsman. The Craftsman I bought new in 2014 and the Deere I bought used in 2018... sure made things easy when either the wife & I or the son & I would each get on one and mow... made short work of the yard, barn yard and road frontage. Since my wife passed, my son & I would always try to be the 1st on our street to mow... sometimes yes, sometimes no! But this spring came and bit me in the kiester. After checking oil & filling with gas, my Deere started, but... as soon as I put it in gear, it sputtered and died. No amount of coaxing would get it to run. Checked spark... yep... check fuel - no can do by myself on a riding mower with engine in front. Sprayed some carb cleaner and cranked it over... ran as long as the carb cleaner lasted. When my son got home from work, I had him check the carb while I cranked it over. No fuel coming thru carb. Checked fuel pump - all good, spurting out ike a champ! So my son orders a new carb off Amazon. Came the next day, and I installed it the day after. Oh... no joy! Same symptom... crank and no fire! Had the neighbor I bought it from come over and help... (he rebuilds lawn mowers as a side deal... always wheelin' & dealin'). We take new carb off and he disassembles it... "hey you sure your gas is good?" Yea, I just filled two 5-gallon cans with the "no ethanol" stuff I use in all my small engines, two construction generators, two golf carts, & both lawn mowers. "Well, this doesn't smell right." Yep, sure enough, it doesn't. So, I stand mower up on it's end and drain as much gas as will come out. Hook everything back up and try again. Again, no joy. Inspecting the new carb, shows rust inside on all the steel bits. Junk. So, order a new one. Meanwhile, the lawn's looking atrocious! Knee deep in places where growth is great, shin deep everywhere! So, I grab the other mower, the Craftsman and being to cut the growth all down to the height of the actual grass. :) :) Make it about 100 yards and it stops any forward motion... I get off and check, belts in place, nothing seems loose... just won't go forward or reverse. So, I walk back to the house, get the golf cart and tow chain and take off to the stalled lawn mower... hook it up, tie off the wheel and tow it back to the house. Double check everything and can't find anything wrong. So that evening I ask my son about the Craftsman, and he tells me the transmission doesn't have a fill hole, drain hole, and has been leaking at an axle seal for quite a while. He figures it's been running dry for over a year!

So after a week of waiting for the new carb, I get anxious about the lawn... and head off to the tractor house... Just to look at lawn tractors or maybe a 'zero turn'! Anyway, I come home and followed by a new zero turn with 26hp engine and 61" deck. Yep, new carb arrives while I'm out spending more money that my first 20 cars cost! Meanwhile I disassembled the Deere, and cleaned the fuel tank, inside & out (pressure washers are great), and have it all ready when it arrives. So... I spend the afternoon getting acquainted with "Zero Turn" lawn mower operaton, and sorta cut the grass. Stayed away from house and fences... and that thing is "twitchy"... It ain't like holding onto a wheel. There's NO one-handed steering this thing! Going in a straight line is really just a series of very small turns. Not conducive to mowing right up to the fenceline or the wall of the house! However, this thing is not going to cut all my grass, as I have my farm (tractor) implements set up on concrete blocks in the barn yard, but are spaced too close together to get the new zero-turn between them. Gotta get the Deere or the Craftsman fixed to do that small "cutting-in" work!

So, although the new carb had arrived, I had other chores to catch up on. Farm truck needed new tags, which meant State inspection, oil change & lube time. Get in and take off to Chevy house... and get rained on inside cab! The roof lites had needed replacing, which I'd done a week earlier. Apparently, the gasket round lite cluster wasn't quite up to snuff. So... while they did the state inspection I checked on a new gasket. Nope, not a service item. You have to buy the entire light cluster... I was afraid to ask how much! Figured RTV silicone will have to do! Another "round-to-it" job! (got it done yesterday). Anyway, new carb is on Deere, but it won't run... same symptom as previous carb! So I set aside this morning to look at it in detail and maybe figure it out! So, I take off air cleaner, and base... and look... there's two wires that go to the carb solenoid that are just lying loose... hmmm... wonder if they're important? Plug 'em in and reassemble, for maybe the 5th or 6th time since this saga began! Viola! It starts and runs! Finally, got the mowing around the house, fences and farm implements done! Only took 2-½ months and many thousands of dollars! I've actually mowed twice with the zero-turn now... and am getting more comfortable with it! Oh yea... I was the first on the street to mow this week!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lawn Mowin'

Post by .45colt »

I feel Your pain Griff, been down the lawn mower road many times..... last week when a newer trimming mower wouldn't run, I pull the old Gravely mower out from under the back porch where it sat all winter. put some fresh gas in it...wrap the starter cord around the flywheel three times , open the gas valve, some throttle- 1/2 choke.....pull that sucker for all I got and it starts and runs right now. As always I am dumbfounded at first . It has been at least 25 years since I tuned it up or had the magneto a part. the spark that mag puts out must be something. It's old and ugly like Me and it was made in 1959.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Lawn mowers were only invented to aggravate mankind.... :(
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

gamekeeper wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:42 pm Lawn mowers were only invented to aggravate mankind.... :(
lawn mowers came about when it was no longer feasible to find a team of barefoot girls to scythe the fields
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

We have a SCAG Wildcat with a 61" inch deck and I have to say that it is about the best lawnmower I have ever worked with. I've had John Deer's and others but the SCAG beats 'em all hollow as far as I am concerned. It is easy to work on. I can change all the belts in a couple minutes by myself. Blades are easy to change. The water-cooled engine has plenty of power and is easy to maintain. We do a lot of work with it besides mowing ... put a trailer hitch on it and pulled a trailer to haul brush ... use it to mulch up small branches ... move the chicken coop with it. It takes me 3 1/2 to 4 hours to mow the property with it. Using a smaller mower it would be much longer. \

My son-in-law towing the grandsons around
2.JPG
1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Our club has a house, we allow our patrol people to live there as payment, they pay utilities. Anyhow the couple we had split up and we had to get him out, he left a John Deere behind. It didn't run, pull the shroud and the mice built a nest, ate a couple wires. Fixed but starter wouldn't turn, replaced it and the solenoid. Hey it runs! It mows!! But only on 1 cylinder...? Hmm dig a little deeper and find a lifter broken and its ALUMINUM!? Come to find out this engine has one side steel lifter one aluminum. Parts on the way, All from Amazon. I'm still scratching my head over aluminum lifters!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Soon after moving to Weatherford, my son bought a zero-turn Kubota. He loves it.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:53 pm Our club has a house, we allow our patrol people to live there as payment, they pay utilities. Anyhow the couple we had split up and we had to get him out, he left a John Deere behind. It didn't run, pull the shroud and the mice built a nest, ate a couple wires. Fixed but starter wouldn't turn, replaced it and the solenoid. Hey it runs! It mows!! But only on 1 cylinder...? Hmm dig a little deeper and find a lifter broken and its ALUMINUM!? Come to find out this engine has one side steel lifter one aluminum. Parts on the way, All from Amazon. I'm still scratching my head over aluminum lifters!
i've seen steel and aluminum push rods in a mower engine. steel for the exhaust valve and aluminum for the intake valve with weaker springs . . . have to mind which one goes where
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The tenant that left the mower told someone in the club it had a blown head gasket when it was actually the push rod that failed. Aluminum push rods are just asking for failure- but with today's throw away mentality it doesn't surprise me!

Those Zero turns can be steered one handed as long as you only make minute adjustments. But as stated they are a new learning curve. Really nice to decrease your time with the addition of mower deck width.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I bought a 50" Toro O-turn two seasons ago and love it. My John Deere riders never could do what this thing can. Living in the woods and mowing around the trees is why I bought the narrower one.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Seems like it`s always the hard way, we bought a new Yard Man rider about 20 years ago they said it was about a seven year mower but it still works great.
The gas line rotted this spring and leaked so had to replace that. :shock: :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Bought a brand new mower at Montgomery Wards back in 1989 when we bought our home. Got it home and started it up, and got maybe 5 minutes run time when it tossed a rod out the side of the block! Back to Wards to exchange it, but they refused to exchange it and said it had to have the engine replaced!
So two weeks later I finally get it back, and I decided to not do a darn thing to it except check the oil level each spring, and add gas. It ran from 1989 to 2020 with zero issues! Started right up every time, and ran great. I put it out on the curb with a "free" sign when I bought the new Toro in 2020. My neighbor across the street came over and asked how it ran, and took the old mower home. He's still using it, and loves it.
Last week I went to start the new Toro and no matter what I did it wouldn't keep running. It's one of those "smart" mowers that has no choke or throttle and supposed to start on the first pull. Right. So I drained the tank, and put fresh gas in, but same issue. Finally pulled the carb off, and disassembled it. Flushed it out with brake clean, reassembled it, and it fires right off on the first pull again. Must have gotten some sediment in the gas that plugged it up? We'll see if it gives me the same 31 years the old mower did?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

City living has some advantages, such as small lawns. In the months the grass is thin, I can get by with a manual reel mower. When it’s lush, I use an electric. No belts, gas, oil, or exhaust. The reel mower is a pill to sharpen, though.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

We got an eGo electric mower. Batteries and lack of power are the part I hate, but PillHer cannot start a gasoline mower. She is strong enough, but she tenses up to as stiff as a highway overpass before pulling the rope. She loves the light weight and no need for a pull start. It has almost the power I expect from a 1 HP gas mower. Must keep the blade sharp or it bogs down on everything. You would think they would have given it at least a little power.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff,
Depends on how much grass you cut to set your priorities where they should be. I cut 4 acres every 5 days and 6 acres every 3 weeks. I’m a maintenance freak and go over everything before and after mowing. I replace parts before they go bad and always keep an extra on those parts that seem to break. I treat my mowing machines like I treat my vehicle that used to take me to work…..keep ‘em cleeeaaannnn…..fresh 93 octane gas, change engine oil and hydraulic oil and filters before the manuals tells me to. Blow the entire machine off with compressed air in every nook and cranny.

Ran a John Deere 20 horse with an all steel Koehler engine for 30 years…..rebuilt the engine once and mower deck spindles, drive shaft and any other bearing before they went bad…..Keep blades razor sharp for less strain on the engine….never cut lower than 3.5 inches and the pasture gets cut at 6”. Run it every two weeks in the winter with fuel stabilizer…….keep my funnels for pouring gas in air tight plastic bins. Change the fuel filters every year whether they look new or not

Never run em in 100 degree heat…..I’ll wait until later in the day when it cools down……never cut wet grass unless I’m forced to and if I do the deck gets washed up then all excess water gets blown off…..zerks get fresh grease every couple of weeks and the mowers are stored inside the barn and loosely covered.

I buy the diesel for the one Kubota at high volume gas stations, not the red stuff my BIL uses that sits in steel tanks that draw condensation and rust…,,,he always has fuel problems. He says he saves money by buying off road diesel.😀

Mowing machines are high maintenance and not much aggravates me more than a breakdown of anything I use on a regular basis.

Treat your mowing machine like you treat that EXTREMELY MIGHTY Kenworth!

2 year old Kubota Z422 with a 60” deck

The Mighty, very mighty Kubota 3350….8 years old

Model A Uzi’s
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Since moving to town this 1975 vintage 14" Scott Bonner is all I need:

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Six I completely agree... I generally lube a few times during the season, (late March to mid November), and either pressure wash or air blow off the top and bottom of the mower deck after each use. I usually only change oil before the first mowing in the spring. This was the run from the barn up to house to get that done. The other planned work was to replace the hood as the original had broken in several places, mainly up around where it rested against the dash. It's also not always convenient to not mow when it can be hovering around that 100ºF mark from sunup to sundown.
DSCN1504[1].JPG
With the new hood installed.

And my favorite farm accessory
DSCN1505[1].JPG
Bruce that mower looks an awful lot like a Craftsman my Dad had back in the '60s and I started doing the mowing around our house.

P.S: Sixgun, what is that contraption to lift up the front end of your mower?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff,
Ya know, you and I live in different climates…..maybe the dry air where you’re at drys out gaskets or fuel lines faster……I dunno as stuff still breaks no matter how much you maintain. Spindle shaft in the mower gear box went last year of the big Kubota..$831……..ya can’t brag about stuff like that, “oh guys! I got a new gear box on the tractor”. or, oh boy, just got me a new transmission on the Jeep”.

That contraption is a Mojack 750 lift…..I drive the front wheels on it and strap it for safety then hook up a drill and raise it up"….has a handle too but why waste arm energy when electric will do it………makes it super easy to clean/power wash the deck or change the blades. I sharpen the blades at least once a month.

No doubt…..in my next life it’s going to be a 2 room log cabin upstate on a couple of hundred acres….one Jeep….no phone, a cheap TV with rabbit ears, mess of animals…a few quality Winchesters & Colts and I’ll pump gas for a living then I’ll follow what the Mexicans do and that’s when you don’t make much money you get a lot of everything else subsidized so it’s the same as a $60,000 job.
Last edited by Sixgun on Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:39 pm Griff,
Depends on how much grass you cut to set your priorities where they should be. I cut 4 acres every 5 days and 6 acres every 3 weeks. I’m a maintenance freak and go over everything before and after mowing. I replace parts before they go bad and always keep an extra on those parts that seem to break. I treat my mowing machines like I treat my vehicle that used to take me to work…..keep ‘em cleeeaaannnn…..fresh 93 octane gas, change engine oil and hydraulic oil and filters before the manuals tells me to. Blow the entire machine off with compressed air in every nook and cranny.

Ran a John Deere 20 horse with an all steel Koehler engine for 30 years…..rebuilt the engine once and mower deck spindles, drive shaft and any other bearing before they went bad…..Keep blades razor sharp for less strain on the engine….never cut lower than 3.5 inches and the pasture gets cut at 6”. Run it every two weeks in the winter with fuel stabilizer…….keep my funnels for pouring gas in air tight plastic bins. Change the fuel filters every year whether they look new or not

Never run em in 100 degree heat…..I’ll wait until later in the day when it cools down……never cut wet grass unless I’m forced to and if I do the deck gets washed up then all excess water gets blown off…..zerks get fresh grease every couple of weeks and the mowers are stored inside the barn and loosely covered.

I buy the diesel for the one Kubota at high volume gas stations, not the red stuff my BIL uses that sits in steel tanks that draw condensation and rust…,,,he always has fuel problems. He says he saves money by buying off road diesel.😀

Mowing machines are high maintenance and not much aggravates me more than a breakdown of anything I use on a regular basis.

Treat your mowing machine like you treat that EXTREMELY MIGHTY Kenworth!

2 year old Kubota Z422 with a 60” deck

The Mighty, very mighty Kubota 3350….8 years old

on the kubotas ive been on, i do not like how the forward and reverse pedal is one piece like half a horshoe and have to have foot elevated on that side. this is on the ones with hydrostatic trannies. other then that i like em just fine . you need to put 01 on the sides of the hood.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Griff wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:39 pm Six I completely agree... I generally lube a few times during the season, (late March to mid November), and either pressure wash or air blow off the top and bottom of the mower deck after each use. I usually only change oil before the first mowing in the spring. This was the run from the barn up to house to get that done. The other planned work was to replace the hood as the original had broken in several places, mainly up around where it rested against the dash. It's also not always convenient to not mow when it can be hovering around that 100ºF mark from sunup to sundown.
DSCN1504[1].JPG
With the new hood installed.

And my favorite farm accessory
DSCN1505[1].JPG

Bruce that mower looks an awful lot like a Craftsman my Dad had back in the '60s and I started doing the mowing around our house.

P.S: Sixgun, what is that contraption to lift up the front end of your mower?
I work for carrolls equipment in dameron, md. never ever lift a jd hood from the center, always reach down to very bottom at the back and spread both sides open then pull up. they lock at the bottom. I see cracked hoods all the time. a new hood from jd is about 600 bucks, but you can get aftermarket ones without decals about 200 bucks cheaper.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Nah, we're pretty humid here. I'm just east of a fairly large lake, raises humidity over the Dallas area by several points. Rust ain't a real issue, but rot is.

Rossim92... NOW you tell me! But, with the new one I can do it right from the jump! Thanks for the tip! I got this off Ebay for a little under $300, with the decals & bumper piece... but since the bumper'd be broken inside a week, I'll save the effort to straighten out it's mounts!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

rossim92 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:10 pm
on the kubotas ive been on, i do not like how the forward and reverse pedal is one piece like half a horshoe and have to have foot elevated on that side. this is on the ones with hydrostatic trannies. other then that i like em just fine . you need to put 01 on the sides of the hood.
Yea Mr. ‘92….I hear ya as my first Kubota had the other style……you get used to the one pedal with the hydrostatic…….LOVE that hydrostatic….my old John Deere 400 had it too.

I’ll tell you what I HATE on all new machinery nowadays…….about 6 safety switches……if the pedal is not in a perfect position you can’t start it…….every handle has to be “off” ……the Zero turn has just as many. Couple of years ago one went on the 3350 but I didn’t know what it was…blowing fuses……so a phone call , two weeks later and $900 the tractor came back…..I told the guy, I hope you changed them all for that kind of money…….never went back to that dealer as I told the owner he could have told me easily what the problem was and I could have fixed them myself……he chuckled…….I then told him I spent over 65K at his dealership and he can now go f himself royally with a corn cob.

Then there’s that “particulation” tank and when the light comes on you have to keep it running for a half hour to burn out the built up diesel carbons to keep the green people happy……..I’d pay someone $5,000 if they could take it all off and guarantee it but no takers so far.
Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:34 pm
rossim92 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:10 pmon the kubotas ive been on, i do not like how the forward and reverse pedal is one piece like half a horshoe and have to have foot elevated on that side. this is on the ones with hydrostatic trannies. other then that i like em just fine . you need to put 01 on the sides of the hood.
...Then there’s that “particulation” tank and when the light comes on you have to keep it running for a half hour to burn out the built up diesel carbons to keep the green people happy……..I’d pay someone $5,000 if they could take it all off and guarantee it but no takers so far.
That's why I bought my Ford/New Holland in 2019, it didn't require the particulate filter or urea. At the time 75hp and less didn't require it. And the 12' folding deck makes about 5 hours of running to cut my 13+ fenced acres.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

13 acres…!!! Get a bush hog and cut the pasture with that….

I have not cut grass for 2 weeks when it’s usually every 4-5 days…..no rain in a month.

My 3350 is computerized…SUCKS…..would love to make it like my old Kubota…..if you ever run into someone who can get rid of it, I’ll pay their air fare and pick em up at the airport.😅
Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Not a brush hog brand... but...
75HP.jpg
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!