35 Remington fans here?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

35 Remington fans here?

Post by big bear »

Just got an old Marlin 336 in 35 Remington. Is there any new production of brass in this caliber? So far I have found Hornady 200gr rd nose bullets and some Speer 180gr flat point bullets.Favorite loads?
I like how it shoots, feels like a 348Winchester Lite :D
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 35 Remington fans here?

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I think all of the 35 Remington fans passed away in the 1980's. :) I'm sure to pay for that remark very soon.

The only thing I know about it is that it needs RCBS shell holder #9 ... an oddball.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Big fan of the .35 Remington and it's certainly no oddball in the MI or PA woods. I've had several pass through my hands, a couple of which I wish I had kept, but the most recent find is a keeper.
Here's a picture, 336 SC and with the Lyman 66 on it I can get around an inch at 100 yds if I'm doing my part.

New brass has been about non-existent for a couple of years and bullets are just starting to show up on the shelves of the shops around here. I scrounge what I can at the local shows, along with .250 Savage and .257 Roberts.

Have fun!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:33 pm I think all of the 35 Remington fans passed away in the 1980's. :) I'm sure to pay for that remark very soon.
I'm not dead yet.... :lol:

Good mid-power cartridge in a good caliber and a good levergun.

Hard to beat. Underappreciated.

Could be a candidate for a one-gun-for-all-hunting I think.

I need to use mine more (along with several other cartriges).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I have a 1954 Marlin 336 Texan in 35 Remington. A great caliber!
My gun shop had plenty of 35 Rem. on the shelves for a few weeks.
At 60.00 a box! Pricey for sure!
I picked up 4 boxes to put away.
I think Winchester puts it out once or twice a year.
Johnny
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

2ndovc wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:55 pm Big fan of the .35 Remington and it's certainly no oddball in the MI or PA woods. I've had several pass through my hands, a couple of which I wish I had kept, but the most recent find is a keeper.
Here's a picture, 336 SC and with the Lyman 66 on it I can get around an inch at 100 yds if I'm doing my part.

New brass has been about non-existent for a couple of years and bullets are just starting to show up on the shelves of the shops around here. I scrounge what I can at the local shows, along with .250 Savage and .257 Roberts.

Have fun!

jb 8)
That is my exact set up! Did you have to get a taller front sight? I am zeroed with rear sight as low as it can go at 100yds with Winchester 200gr factory ammo. I bought a few boxes of factory ammo for brass. I found some Speer 180gr bullets and my reloads are hitting 4" high at 100yds .I figure the round is a 200yd rifle max for hunting , so hold on with the 200gr load and hold a bit low at 100 with 180's and hold on at 200yds????
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:33 pm I think all of the 35 Remington fans passed away in the 1980's. :) I'm sure to pay for that remark very soon.

The only thing I know about it is that it needs RCBS shell holder #9 ... an oddball.
I bought the Lee die set which came with a shellholder, lucky me for a change. I don't plan to be doing a lot of reloading for this rifle so the Lee dies should suffice.
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

I learned to shoot a center fire rifle with a 35 Remington at the age of 13. My uncle loaned it to me for a year prior to my first deer hunt. It was a Remington model 8, hooked steel buttplate and all. After that, the recoil of 270's and 30-06's was never a problem.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

1st rifle I ever bought was a Marlin in 35 Remington.

Great rifle, and great cartridge.

Stock except for Skinner sights.

-Stretch
lonesome dave
Levergunner

Post by lonesome dave »

i'm still kicking and all i have left is my straight stocked 35.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Yeah, Remington made about a billion pump guns in 30 and 35 Remington. They are everywhere ... or they used to be anyway. I would assume a Marlin short rifle in 35 Remington would a great gun to have. Especially down here in Florida where the shots are not far but the brush is thick.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

No issue with the front sight as is, but I haven't really shot it any farther than that. The areas I would be hunting with it, are the thick woods of PA. A fifty yard shot up there is a long one. If we were able to use the .35 Rem. here in OH, if would be a different story.
I shoot it more often these days with a 180 LFNGC and 9 gr of Unique. Just a fun plinking / varmint load.
Fortunitley, I had a pretty good stockpile of Factory ammo and brass that I've bought over the years. There's a couple boxes of Rem. Corlokt down there with $14.95 price tags. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Congrats on the 35 rem Marlin! Super awesome cartridge and rifle combo.

I have a 336 in 35 rem that dates to '69. It's a sweet shooter. Killed a couple deer with it, but need to hunt with it more. I bought a few boxes of 200 gr. rem ammo a few years ago but should have bought way more before prices went insane.

good luck and have fun!
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Dad's favorite deer rifle Marlin .35, he passed in 2006 and its been in safe since. Still has an old Simmons wide view scope with see through mounts. Not a fan but those cheap scopes would sometimes fog over an open sights come into play.
I really thought about stripping it back to as new but I just can't do it. That's how Dad liked it.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Got a practically unused JB Marlin in 35 Rem a few years ago. It is about a 2 inch at 100 yards gun, but for a levergun, I am satisfied with it. At 100 yards, it will do anything I need.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I've got an old Ballard rifled 336 Texan in 35 Remington, for which I load the 200 grain Sierra to 2155 fps. I can tell you it wallops deer real hard at 130 yards.

People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I don't have any leverguns in 35 Remington but do have a Remington Model 8 and 14 chambered for it. Wonderful cartridge for the heavy woods of the UP or Maine where I now live. Plenty of oomph without much recoil. I have been shooting the RCBS 200 gr flat point for years with total satisfaction. Lee makes a close copy now too.

Eric
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I had a very nice Marlin in 35 Remington. I ended up trading it for a 30-30 just on account of ammo prices alone. At that time 30-30 was 15/box and 35 Rem was about 28/box.

Now I have a pretty nice Remington Model 8 that shoots 35 Remington. I love the gun. Now 35 Remington is about 50/box on the low end and I have seen it as hight recently as 90 bucks a box for the new Winchester made 35 Rem. Hoping prices will come back down some.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

For the cartridges we talk about on the board, about 98% of them can be hand loaded with cast bullets at or near the speed the factory makes them at. It’s not rocket science to cast or to hand load……I can load a box of 35 Remingtons for about .15 a round from components bought at pre crazy prices.

I’ve had a mess of 35’s over the years but held on to these two, a 14 made in the early twenties and a 141….both are pretty much 98% guns with a model 25 in 25-20 on the bottom, same condition. All have original tang sights.

Model A Uzi’s
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

Great cartridge. I have 3. One Marlin Glenfield. One Marlin 336 and a Remington 760. Favorite load is 41 grains of 748 with a 200 grain bullet. I have loaded hotter for the 760 but now use this load for all three. Did experiment with Francis Sells recommended plinking load of 36 grains of 3031 and 158 grain bullet. Shoots to almost the same point of impact as the 200 grain load. Can't get them to feed well out of the magazine in the Marlin Glenfield though. Locks up the lever and I have to take the lever out to free it up.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:21 am For the cartridges we talk about on the board, about 98% of them can be hand loaded with cast bullets at or near the speed the factory makes them at. It’s not rocket science to cast or to hand load……I can load a box of 35 Remingtons for about .15 a round from components bought at pre crazy prices.

I’ve had a mess of 35’s over the years but held on to these two, a 14 made in the early twenties and a 141….both are pretty much 98% guns with a model 25 in 25-20 on the bottom, same condition. All have original tang sights.

Good looking rifles Sixgun. I have never shot one of those before.

I def. need to start reloading for the 35rem. I only have one so I was just buying a box here and there but with the way things are now I will prob. pick up a set of dies.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Rube Burrows wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:03 am
wrote:

Good looking rifles Sixgun. I have never shot one of those before.

I def. need to start reloading for the 35rem. I only have one so I was just buying a box here and there but with the way things are now I will prob. pick up a set of dies.

Thanks Rube…….the main reason for handloading is to enable you to shoot until the cows come home…..and casting makes that even a lot cheaper.

When I head to the gun club, I always bring 4-500 rounds with. 4-5 guns and make a day out of it. Probably well over a thousand dollars if I had to pay for it at a store.

Those old Remingtons are an engineers masterpiece…..the parts for whole gun is machined.
Model A Uzi’s
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:21 am For the cartridges we talk about on the board, about 98% of them can be hand loaded with cast bullets at or near the speed the factory makes them at. It’s not rocket science to cast or to hand load……I can load a box of 35 Remingtons for about .15 a round from components bought at pre crazy prices.

That Model 25 is a slick little rifle! The only one I ever got to shoot was a battered old farm gun in 32-20 but still shot well and functioned without a hitch.

Eric
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Sixgun wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:21 am ….both are pretty much 98% guns with a model 25 in 25-20 on the bottom, same condition. All have original tang sights.
Interesting sight on that model 25. Looks windage adjustable.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:53 pm
Yessireeeee, it is indeed and a takedown too…and as Monte Hall says, “It can be yours, IF the price is right!” 😄

Shoots into less than an inch at 50 meters with the 70 gr. Lyman g.c..

Model A Uzi’s
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Sixgun wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:00 pm
Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:53 pm
Yessireeeee, it is indeed and a takedown too…and as Monte Hall says, “It can be yours, IF the price is right!” 😄
Looks Redfield-ish up close. Nice.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:19 pm
Looks Redfield-ish up close. Nice.
Thanks bro….Funny that you said that as I looked when I took the pic and all I could see was the patent dates and the brand was under the top part. I didn’t want to mess with the elevation as it’s dialed in perfectly. I agree, it does look Redfieldish…..

It’s the nicest one I ever saw…if fact, I’ve only seen maybe 4 and I bought 3 of them.The other two were 32-20’s and I sold them….DocAJMD got one. This one was made in 1924.
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I got about 300 pieces of brass for my 35 Rem, and have about 1,000 bullets, some primers, and some powder. The bullets are all cast lead 200 grain. I have only bought about 4 boxes of factory loads. About the same for my Winchester in 32 Special as far as quantities. I have 5 gallon bucket full of cleaned and deprimed 30-30 brass. If need be, I can form some up into 32 Special. Not sure about the 35 Rem and what to form it from. I ought to start looking for more brass and primers.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Well I had to get Dad's JM 80's era .35 Marlin 336CS , As it sits is how he used it and probably how it will stay while I'm caretaker. It hasn't hunted since late 90's ,Dad has been gone 17 years. It was a pleasure to look through the scope again as it was in back of safe and been a while since last wipe down.
I almost pulled off scope and mount then but I just can't do it!

Dad hunted from early 70's with 742 Rem 30-06 until he picked up the Marlin in 1985 ish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Looks like he took pretty good care of that rifle. I love the old theater-wide-screen scopes from back in the day. Yeah, I don't think I'd mess with it either. Are you going to put a few rounds through it ... you know, just to make sure?
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I've got plenty of factory ammo I might take it out for shoot again sometime. I have the leather sling he used too .
I remember years ago I was riding school bus home , bus driver said your Dad got a nice 8 point buck this morning .
He had seen him at check in store .
I remember being so excited ,couldn't wait to get home.
It was either late 70's or early 80's the old 742 came through that day .