"Preaching" from the "pistol pulpit"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

"Preaching" from the "pistol pulpit"

Post by Bill in Oregon »

This is my portable handgun version of the standing benchrest used by seasoned big-bore rifle shooters -- gunsmiths at Holland and Holland regulating .577 double rifles, that sort of thing.
I have a miserable time with my eyes and glasses shooting from rest at standard table height, as I am seated all scoonched forward to get my head low enough to see the iron sights over the rest -- and in that position, I cannot keep my front sight in focus.
So I built this thing out of plywood scraps and a bit of 1X2 and 2X4. It is 22 inches by 20 1/2 inches by 20 1/2 to the top of the rail. The 2X4 both stiffens it and provides a surface to clamp the pulpit to the bench if need be. (We get serious winds here.)
Today was the trial run, and it worked out great with a Glock Model 40 and the Blackhawk.
When shooting 10mm and .41 Magnum it makes for a mighty loud sermon. :lol:
It was a good range day. I also shot the Remington Model 8 in .30 Remington with cast bullet loads that it liked, and the Model 1873 Uberti in .44 W.C.F. using the late John Cort's Accurate 43-215C bullet, 10 rounds over 36 grains Old Eynesford FFg, compressed, and the rest over 16 grains of 2400.

Griff
Posting leader...

Re: "Preaching" from the "pistol pulpit"

Post by Griff »

I like it! I need a seated version.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

That's good looking kit. I'd like to try that one.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

That's pretty neat. I think the addition of a folding "wing" on the side could convert it to a rifle bench too.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ok Bill,post the plans for that!!??
That beats trying to come up with hunks of wood when ya get to the range and realize ya forgot your sand bags/ rest.

2nd generation is a rest/ range box with a padded lid, flip it open and you are ready to shoot!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Gunny, I should have gone out to the gun club and measured the height of the concrete benches as this rest, at 20 inches high, is about two inches too high at least for me. Just three sides and a top, no bottom except that 2X4 brace which, as I said, would give me a place to clamp it to the bench if need be. Could add a bottom, even shelves, but then it is getting unmanageable.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Got me thinking( bad to do as I have enough projects) , maybe a stepped top , lower for butt of the gun & upper for a thin sand bag?

Gotta focus, puppies are soon to come !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

MORE PUPPIES! :D