We had a fire today ....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

We had a fire today ....

Post by JimT »

finally getting around to burning the brush and tree branches that were broken during the ice storm in the winter. Plus we trimmed a lot of the trees, gathered up scrap lumber we had left over from some building projects, and tossed in other stuff that could be burned. The wind was out of the North and drove the flames hard, the big pile burned down pretty rapidly. We had just had some good rains a couple days ago and it was a good time to get it done.
IMG_5293.JPG

IMG_5296.JPG
A little over 5 hours and it's down to ashes and hot coals.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: We had a fire today ....

Post by gamekeeper »

That's one thing I miss :( since I moved to Somerset in December I can no longer have a good old bonfire.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Nice. is there a tinfoil wrapped pig in there?

I still remember the Boy Scout pit BBQ in our school yard. a split cow in one hole, pig and baked beans in the other, cooked 24 hours. Still makes my mouth water remembering it. LOL
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Looks good Jimbo……BUT…..it’s missing OUR favorite ingredients which I plan on July 4th………..coal tar railroad ties and a few tires thrown in……..in your neck of the woods those things go unnoticed….around here twenty cars will stop with the FD coming…..I’ve done it before and had no intention of being a smart A…..just had a lot of stuff to get rid of……you remember when we posted “like” pictures a year or two ago….…….now that I know it “burns” up the college educated Yuppies, I’ll do it all the more………”spite” is my middle name….. :D ——00

Screw em……we rednecks were here first…..
Model A Uzi’s
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim, it is a feeling of accomplishment to get a pile out of the way. I burned a lot of stuff -- a couple of busted-down sheep sheds, an industrial dumpster's worth of ground juniper (let me count the ways I hate this shrub ... ), teasel, construction debris, beetle-killed conifers. And when I started thinning the woods up behind the house, I would make a pile and then keep pushing it in on itself with the little three-cylinder Mahendra bucket. Satisfying work.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:31 pm Looks good Jimbo……BUT…..it’s missing OUR favorite ingredients which I plan on July 4th………..coal tar railroad ties and a few tires thrown in……..in your neck of the woods those things go unnoticed….around here twenty cars will stop with the FD coming…..I’ve done it before and had no intention of being a smart A…..just had a lot of stuff to get rid of……you remember when we posted “like” pictures a year or two ago….…….now that I know it “burns” up the college educated Yuppies, I’ll do it all the more………”spite” is my middle name….. :D ——00

Screw em……we rednecks were here first…..
We burned a lot of plastic stuff today. Made a very satisfying column of BLACK smoke going up high in the air and then Southwest. Doing my part to keep the planet from freezing. :lol:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

We have a couple a year. Always includes at least one blowdown, plus clean up over the course of a season. Around here we gotta call the Sheriff's Office and let them know what we're doin'. A few more rules involved than even 10 or years back.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

JimT wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 7:56 pm
We burned a lot of plastic stuff today. Made a very satisfying column of BLACK smoke going up high in the air and then Southwest. Doing my part to keep the planet from freezing. :lol:
Jim, for real……..a few years ago this survival magazine (sorry, don’t have no links but I DO 100% remember it as told) suggested that people should keep a couple of garbage bags full of plastic bottles for emergencies, etc as it makes an excellent fire starter and may be the deciding factor on your life………the author was inundated with violent protests as the fumes “hurt the planet”. Yea…..

So that means if it’s 20 degrees outside and you can see a mushroom cloud on the horizon, it’s better to die than hurt the planet….of course, I’m being extreme here but the author didn’t say to use it on a regular basis….”in an emergency”.

Like, WTF is happening? Is common sense a forgotten factor in living?

In Oct. 2019 we had an extremely rare F-2 tornado. Knocked down 11 large trees…….I was not in a good mood as insurance don’t pay for removal of the trees unless they cause damage……it was all on me………..so I took the mighty Kubota and pushed many of them into a large pile and lit em up…..took me a week and I had a bed of coals 3’ thick, 8’ wide by 20’ long…….someone called the fire company on me and luckily I knew the guy……he laughed and said he will write the report as “taken care of”……..the next day I was out there and burning more and this weird weak looking guy in a Prius was parked on the road videoing my bon fire………well, crazy as I am I raised the bucket about steering wheel height and headed straight for his Prius…..I was determined and he knew it…….about 10’ before I was gonna clobber him he spun the wheels and took off……..(yea, I would have steered clear at the last moment…..I may be crazy but I’m not stupid. :D
Last edited by Sixgun on Sun May 21, 2023 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I have no clue as to why a lot of people are the way they are.
But then, sometimes I don't know why I am the way I am!
:roll:
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Easy Jim…..YOU know what’s right….the others are taught by their masters.
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

gamekeeper wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 3:04 pm That's one thing I miss :( since I moved to Somerset in December I can no longer have a good old bonfire.
Not even on 5th of November?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

We had a good fire last Thursday. I even through some leaves on for the smell.
Click Click Boom
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:44 pm
JimT wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 7:56 pmWe burned a lot of plastic stuff today. Made a very satisfying column of BLACK smoke going up high in the air and then Southwest. Doing my part to keep the planet from freezing. :lol:
Is common sense a forgotten factor in living?
Jack, I'm sure I've said this before... but you're applying antiquated observations on a colloquialism... the term you're looking for is uncommon good sense. Common sense is still a viable term, but it's meaning has shifted over time... whereas good sense remains the same, it has become rather uncommon. Because common means that which is most often observed, sense is a degree of intelligence, common sense now refers to sheer stupidity! And yes, it's still a factor in living. Best to be avoided... but nearly impossible as those displaying the modernistic version of common sense both breed and vote! Scary, huh?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 4:28 pm
[quote=Scary, huh?
No Griff, I’ll tell ya what’s scary…..YOU and your graduate degree from Harvard…..dang Griff, I had to look up half the words you wrote.

No more than four letter words for me! :D
Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Nope, no Ivy league for me... liberal arts southern California state college... I qualify to teach high school English or History... or ask if you'd like fries with your burger, Mister? :D :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!