Old Smokeless

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Old Smokeless

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I ran into something strange after dinner this evening. I decided to drive home through Sanford, FL on French Avenue which I haven't done in some time. It's a lot of dollar stores, pawn shops, and coin laundries. One store caught my eye though ... Guns'N'Comics. I had to stop and see since there will probably never be anything like this ever again.

So I go in and, sure enough, comic books, action figures, movie memorabilia, and ... guns. It was mostly Glocks and AR-15's but there were a few obligatory revolvers of various types. So I jokingly asked the guy if he had any Bullseye since I was out.

He reached up to a shelf behind a safe and pulled out 3 round cardboard cans with tin top and bottom and the red plastic cap with the little pull ears ... Reloder 7, Herco, and Bullseye ... Hercules brand with the bright orange and silver coloring. All unopened. They looked exactly like this ...
HerculesBullseye.jpg
HerculesHerco.jpg
... with slightly different colors on the Reloder and Herco cans.

I passed and he put them back on the shelf.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Ysabel Kid

Re: Old Smokeless

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Was he willing to sell them at the original price? :lol:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Still, it was cool to see.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:55 pm Was he willing to sell them at the original price? :lol:
They had these super old stickers on them and I believe they were all below $20 but I don't recall exactly what they were.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I still have a cardboard container of Herco, it's probably 30yrs old and it's fine.
I bought an estate sale of a skeet shooter a few years ago, a 4lb cardboard jug of Red Dot included, it's bad. I guess my storage environment was better!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I got a 12 pound keg of Red Dot from a friend about a year ago that was from the same time period . The deal was I could try it before I paid him for it . And sure enough after trying it turned out fine !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I've had some powder get a little funny looking (developed a rusty dust effect) that was in metal cans but I've never seen any signs of deterioration from powders kept in either the cardboard or the plastic. A modest amount of my shooting is done with WWII surplus powders, and my green dot I pour out of an old 25# cardboard keg into a cardboard container like those in your picture to keep a handy-for-using size. I'd go back and take those off his hands.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

If I had seern that powder I would have bought it.

When I moved to IN I stopped at a gun shop and they had a 3# keg of Hercules 2400 for around $60.00, Around half what it was going for then. It came home with me.

As long as it's good, it don't matter how old it is.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***