watch your six gentlemen

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

watch your six gentlemen

Post by Streetstar »

i shared this yesterday on ARFCOM, but it rattled me so i thought i would share an experience that many of us hope never happens, but can

I realize the news is all about mass shootings , but not every shooting is some disgruntled loner with a long gun. Sometimes traditional Man-woman-other man arguments still take place

Monday afternoon in my office parking lot about to go in to finish a few things after hours (5ish pm), i first heard a shot then by reflex hit the gas to find cover or a retreat route. I got clear and was reaching for my own console gun and having Siri call 911 at the same time when i stopped and re-assesed and saw a shooter doing a mag dump between 2 cars then jumping in his own vehicle and sped off. - threat of crossfire was over so i went back and there was a man down with 4 fresh holes in his leg - the maroon hyundai in the pic below is all i can figure kept him dying as he was partially shielded in front of it

• being armed is a plus, but some situations will darn near be over before you can clear leather.
  • After fashioning a field expedient tourniquet from a motorcycle tie down strap, i thought immediately afterwards that a basic med kit with the addition of some clotting compound and a couple of real tourniquets (and knowing how to use them ) could be much more important than a gun
  • 911 operators are extremely annoying
  • Police response time is what you'd expect - when you'd like them there in 30 seconds, it takes 7 minutes
  • Having to sprint across a parking lot for any reason if you're over age 40 can really hammer home any weaknesses in your PT program
  • Lastly - even with prior .mil training , even what i would consider "advanced training" - it was over 30 years ago and i was out and back in college by 1993. Being an ex such and such of any sort won't prepare a lot of guys' like me for the massive adrenaline surge -dump and surge again that happens once the law shows up and takes over. My Garmin had the nod that day and it showed my heart rate was stable at around 100 throughout the event, but once i was relieved it curiously jumped up to 130 and stayed elevated for 2 hours. - and 36 hours later, im still not sleeping right
  • I guess lastly - even with something like this where i was not a direct participant - i was still there for several hours afterward. At one point when i was done talking to the detectives they said i was good to go but they still needed my truck on site for a while longer to complete their -- whatever it is they were doing. So a workmate and i just went around the corner and had a couple of beers and waited

LEO's looking for shell casings - my vehicle is the blue Tacoma with bike rack --- office park full of white collar folk and small business owners in a middle to upper middle class suburb of Oklahoma City (Norman ) - "That will never happen here!" doesnt apply for me anymore and i'm assembling a proper small med kit for the truck

----- Doug
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: watch your six gentlemen

Post by Griff »

I'll bet the victim was glad someone was there, even if they weren't as effective as they thought they should have been. You were likely the difference in his life that day...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That will get your heart rate up for sure. Griff put it perfectly, though. That guy was very lucky to have someone there. Most people these days would be filming the guy bleeding on the ground with their phones.

Jason 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Wow. I have almost zero military experience (if you don't count advancing in fog with blank-firing M16s on a blank-firing M60 in Army ROTC -- I don't). That situation pressed a whole lot of buttons, and it seems to me you did darned well. I think your heart rate deserved to be elevated. I hope they catch the doer.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I am glad you came through it OK and were able to be help. The problem with those kinds of situations is you cannot tell which is the good guy and which is the bad guy. They both may be bad guys. It could be the good guy took off just to get clear of the scene or because he was scared or wounded.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Glad you came through it all right.

It sounds as if you did all right, too.

Stuff happens without too much warning many times.

And 911 operators can sometimes be HIGHLY ANNOYIN'.

-Stretch
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

One big lesson I've learned....

....unlike the movies, in real life there's no "scary music" that starts just before something bad happens, to warn you.... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Most folks seem to go through life without paying attention. I think urban life encourages us to do so.

You stepped up. I’m darn proud of you for that.

But you are correct, it can happen anywhere at any time. The way I prepared my rookies was to occasionally stop in the middle of a block. I would describe a bad scene. If you had to call this in, where are you? How and what would you ask for? What would you do?

You can train yourself to be ready without being paranoid. Decisions you make when you are calm are plans that you execute when you are under stress.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

When things happen fast, your brain takes longer than normal to assess everything. Practicing for emergencies really helps.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I took an NAEMT TECC at SOARescue and it was fantastic. I’m going to reup this fall.
This is the kit I have in both vehicles along with bright orange tourniquets.
https://shop.soarescue.com/products/the-medmag-mount-m3
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:57 am Most folks seem to go through life without paying attention. I think urban life encourages us to do so.

You stepped up. I’m darn proud of you for that.

But you are correct, it can happen anywhere at any time. .
Thank you for the kind words and you’re very right about people not paying attention. I I used to blame it on smart phones, But the last few years I’ve noticed that people seem to be moving about in a Covid fog as well. Very nonchalant and inattentive

That combined with the widespread abuse of medical marijuana in my state and that’s a wonder people get anything done
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Thanks fellows for the supportive words

It means a lot to me because there are so many members on here that are either veterans, LEO, or have formal medical and pharmaceutical training, And we are all outdoorsman to varying degrees, when you guys remark about something like this it comes from a place of direct knowledge.

It’s been about 10 days since this occurred and I’m not doing anything differently for the most part with the exception of parking in the alley behind my office instead of in the general parking lot and my 380 now resides in a pocket holster in my front pocket instead of in the console of my truck. (The console gun is now a Glock).

A little surprised that I’m still not sleeping well but there are also a couple of other possible factors. I’m on a fairly restrictive diet right now and do have some stress with some work deadlines but those things never stopped me from sawing logs before as I can to compartmentalize my normal daily tasks. But that explains why I was up this morning at 5AM scrolling through this forum rather than sleeping

I ordered a general small first aid kit from Amazon plus some specialty trauma items to keep in the truck and I have promised myself I will look around for a basic civilian emergency medical class to refresh my mind on all this stuff soon. I’m single now so who knows I may meet my future ex-wife at one of those places

An old army buddy lives nearby who cross trained as a combat medic and he could likely help but comically enough his marriage is like a sitcom marriage where if he’s at home it’s “yes dear! No dear” and “You are right dear!” (Probably why he’s been married 30 years and I’m single) But point being is he does not get out much so anytime we get together he wants to turn it into a beer party and I’m too old for shenanigans
Last edited by Streetstar on Fri May 19, 2023 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

——-
Last edited by Streetstar on Fri May 19, 2023 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

— duplicate

Trying to correct typos in my post but I can’t see for squat without my reading glasses so I keep hitting the “quote button instead of edit
Last edited by Streetstar on Fri May 19, 2023 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

——duplicate. Did it again Good grief
----- Doug
MS 9x56
Levergunner

Post by MS 9x56 »

Don’t be so hard on yourself. You kept your Wits about you and rendered aid to a wounded person. You may very well have saved his life with the tools you had to work with. I’d say you earned yourself a Macguyver award at the least. The bell rang and you answered it admirably. Not a lot of people can say that. Thank you.
Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Streetstar wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:23 am——-
Post traumatic stress is what you are experiencing. It’s normal and everyone manifests it differently. Going over the event in detail over and over might help you desensitize your mind. If you don’t pass through this in short order I suggest you find a counselor who has dealt with LE or military to sort some tools for you.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com