New AR10 and a trip to the range.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

New AR10 and a trip to the range.

Post by 2ndovc »

After reading and watching reviews of some of the AR-10s out there, along with the SCAR and H&K. I had settled on on the Sig Tread, but while I was looking at it, one of the counter guys laid a Springfield Saint on the counter and said that was the one he owned. Most of the same features and feel of the Sig, but the Springfield was $300 less.
First time out to the range this morning, with a Vortex I had in the closet makes me believe that I made a good choice.
After getting it on paper at 50 yds., then to where I wanted the scope set, I put three into the center, moved it up a couple clicks and put the last two side by side. Should be right on at 100 yds. for now. Definitely needs a better piece of glass on it. Nothing against Vortex, but it's no Leupold. :D
Also took along a custom Tokarev that my dad picked up in FL. He said he didn't like the way this one shoots but I have a feeling that was because of the S&B ammo he was shooting. That stuff is really loaded hot.
Started with 5.5 grains of Unique and a 85 gr. Sierra JRN. At 25 yards that load was really high. Moving up to @ 15 and aiming at the bottom of the red bullseye gave me about a 5" group. This load was just enough to cycle the action, but I'm going to add another grain to the next batch.

Nice day to be outside for a change.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New AR10 and a trip to the range.

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Nice did any mosquitoes distract you while there. Tokarev and Webley Enfields I regret never owning.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

A little information on the 7.62x25 tokarev:

In 1929, the Soviet Artillery Committee made a proposal to develop a domestic pistol chambered for the Mauser cartridge. After considerable research and development, it was decided that the "Model 1930 7.62 mm pistol cartridge," essentially the Mauser round with minor modifications, was to become the standard caliber for Soviet pistols and submachine guns. Early versions of the Vasily Degtyaryov-designed PPD-40 submachine gun were marked for Mauser cartridge caliber 7.62 mm. Although dimensionally similar to the Mauser cartridge, so much so that both cartridges will chamber, load and fire in any of these weapons, the Soviets increased the power of the Tokarev cartridge powder charge significantly. As such, while the lower-power Mauser rounds can be safely used in any of these weapons, the Tokarev cartridge is not safe for use in weapons which were not designed for the added pressure. The Russians produced a wide array of loadings for this cartridge for use in submachine guns. These include armor-piercing, tracer, and incendiary rounds.

This cartridge has excellent penetration and can easily defeat lighter ballistic vests (NIJ level I and IIA) as well as some kevlar helmets, such as the American PASGT helmet. When fired from a carbine-length barrel, the cartridge may penetrate NIJ level II, but is sometimes stopped by the current standard armor NIJ level IIIA. (Level IIIA is an advanced version of the Level II that can stop faster bullets than Level II, but does not meet the Level III standard. NIJ standards factor in up to 1400 fps of bullet velocity; higher-velocity rounds can eventually penetrate them, but by definition, level III must be able to stop any 7.65 mm bullet).

Although most firearms chambered in this caliber were declared obsolete and removed from military inventories, some police and special forces units in Russia, Pakistan and China may still use it because of the large quantity of stored ammunition available. The bullet has various muzzle velocities around the range of 1,300 to 1,800 fps. A common velocity is around 1,450 ft/s with about 401 ft⋅lbf of energy. Given the wide disparity in ammunition manufactured in many different nations, ammunition is encountered that yields higher and lower velocities.

Some newly manufactured ammunition intended for commercial use has a velocity of approximately 1,560 feet per second. Wolf Gold FMJ tops out at 1,720 feet per second with 570 foot-pounds force as does PPU ammunition.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Yeah, that little bullet is a screamer!

I've been shooting Tokarevs for a long time, but this was the first time reloading for it. Twenty plus years ago i inherited from a family friend a full case of Chinese 7.62x25s. Corrosive as heck, but if you clean up properly it's not that big of a deal. It's a lot like cleaning up after shooting BP.
I have a couple of the Yugo M57s, but my dad has a rack full of Russian and Chinese WWII and VN issue pistols, along with another Chinese custom he had made up years ago.
I'm going to keep experimenting with this one, though I'm going to need some more brass. Unlike shooting the Springfield yesterday and it leaving all my brass in a nice, neat little pile. The Tokarevs were all over the range.

Todd,
No mosquitos yet, we had a pretty good frost just a few days ago. :shock:

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have been impressed with the Toks I have had. Pull the trigger and the bullet is already there -- even at 100. It might be a little .30, but stay outta the way!
Todd, bless your heart. Good to see you posting.