rossi r 92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

rossi r 92

Post by oldebear1950 »

Does anyone besides steves gun shop work on rossi 92s, I contacted him and he said due to health issues is not working on customers guns at this time Does any one else do this type of work
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Re: rossi r 92

Post by Paladin »

I have two Rossi's perfected by Steve and have his CD on how to do it. Cleaning up one (not as well as him), but that may be an option.
It is not the critic who counts
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

looks like that will be the option I go too. I am in the process of getting two. Either the 45 colt, or 454 casull, and the 38/357. I want to clean up the actions, replace the safety. I grew up with two granddads that carried Winchester model 92s as city marshalls in Oklahoma, in the 1920s and 1930s. Course theirs were 44-40s, and not 45 colt or 357.
I grew up shooting them, and never had a problem with safety, as we were taught not to carry a round in the chamber, but if we did to put it at half cock and never point at something we did not aim to kill.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I've got 2 Rossis and I got Steve's DvD and parts and did it myself just by following the information. If you can hold a screwdriver, see lightening and hear thunder you can do it too. It was so easy that my neighbor got a Rossi and the few parts to do it and I did it for him. So, with 3 under my belt I can attest that it is all a simple process if you follow Steve's excellent DvD.

Tip, the replacement plug or rear peep sight (whichever you choose) that goes in to fill the hole left by the removal of the stupid safety has a slight grove in it that is supposed to engage the pin you drive out to take out the safety and then use to hold in the piece.

It's likely not in the exact place you want it or it's too deep to give a tight fit so the best thing to do is push the piece in so that a round section is presented to the hole, hold it down tight, take a tiny punch or finishing nail and slide it in the hole for the pin and then tap is to mark a new grove point.

Then make a very small grove at the mark and then align the grove with the hole and drive the pin in. That will make for a tight fit.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

I may get back to you on the safety removal, cause to me that is something that could have been left off.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Paladin wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:44 pm I have two Rossi's perfected by Steve and have his CD on how to do it. Cleaning up one (not as well as him), but that may be an option.
I was gonna suggest the same thing. :D