Norma Powders

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Norma Powders

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Did Norma leave the American market or is the absence of all of their powders just a part of the current crunch in reloading components? Even though they are still listed as suppliers on a few websites, there is nothing of theirs available. They are no longer even listed at Grafs, Midway, Natchez, or MidSouth. I'm still not over their dropping of the import of R123 ... aka, the best 22 Hornet powder ever, well maybe N105 and 300-MP are in the ballpark now.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Re: Norma Powders

Post by KWK »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:00 pm ... well maybe N105 and 300-MP are in the ballpark now.
I read that N105 has been dropped from the US market.

I hadn't heard anything about Norma. I don't think I've ever seen a jar of the stuff around here, VV and Vectan sometimes, though.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I have a friend who swears that Lil Gun is the best .22 Hornet powder, bar none.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Walt wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:35 pm I have a friend who swears that Lil Gun is the best .22 Hornet powder, bar none.
It's one of the best you can still get. But 20 years ago ... no.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

Don’t know about Norma powders but Viht are stopping making N105, N32C (Tin Star) and N530
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

How much ya wanna bet Norma is hoarding their powder in light of the European conflict...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Those VV powders appear to remain in production but are simply not being exported to the US. I quite like N110 for full power 357 rifle loads and wanted to try N105 for medium loads. Oh well.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

I suspect that a lot of the Norma powders are actually Bofors. That's a shame about Viht N105. I think they also killed off N125.
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

KWK wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:00 pm Those VV powders appear to remain in production but are simply not being exported to the US. I quite like N110 for full power 357 rifle loads and wanted to try N105 for medium loads. Oh well.
N105, N32C and N530 as I understand it need significant changes to plant set up vs Viht's other powders so that's why there is still some stock.

I have a really nice load with 180gr Peregrine Hog (non-lead) bullets for my 44 mag. Ramshot Enforcer seems closest in burn rate but I might try and lie in some N105 just to be sure
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

R123 ... gone. N105 ... gone.

To paraphrase Josey Wales ... When I get to likin' a powder, it ain't around long.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Scrumbag wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:41 am N105, N32C and N530 as I understand it need significant changes to plant set up vs Viht's other powders so that's why there is still some stock.
I had looked at VV's site and saw N105 still listed, but it appears I've assumed too much from that. Further searching found a UK site with an exchange from VV in Finland which says N105 is being discontinued. It's not just the exports to the US.
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

KWK wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:46 pm
Scrumbag wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:41 am N105, N32C and N530 as I understand it need significant changes to plant set up vs Viht's other powders so that's why there is still some stock.
I had looked at VV's site and saw N105 still listed, but it appears I've assumed too much from that. Further searching found a UK site with an exchange from VV in Finland which says N105 is being discontinued. It's not just the exports to the US.
That might have been me 😉
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

N105 was close in performance to R123 I think. There seems to be a bit of a hole in the market in this slot ... small capacity, small caliber rifle. I know, they're magnum pistol powders but they were good in small rifle.
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:48 pm N105 was close in performance to R123 I think. There seems to be a bit of a hole in the market in this slot ... small capacity, small caliber rifle. I know, they're magnum pistol powders but they were good in small rifle.
Yep, I think N105 should do well in a Hornet (If you can make N110 and Ramshot Enforcer work, why not)

Scrummy
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

This seems to be the reason N105 is being killed off ...

"The list of Vihtavuori products on the chopping block is much, much smaller. The list ONLY consists of N105, N32C (Tin Star), and N530. All of the other powders listed will continue to be imported.

The reason for these three being discontinued are purely economics. Vihtavuori produces large industrial quantities of certain powders for global defense markets which any additional volume can then be packaged for consumer use. These three no longer have a large industrial base. It has no relation to any other rumors."