''I need to secure your weapon, for your safety and mine!''

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

''I need to secure your weapon, for your safety and mine!''

Post by COSteve »

A man was accidentally shot by police with his own gun in Philadelphia's Germantown section earlier this week

https://6abc.com/philadelphia-pa-accide ... /13164943/
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
piller
Posting leader...

Re: ''I need to secure your weapon, for your safety and mine!''

Post by piller »

Sounds to me as if the Officer was poorly trained. I would be willing to bet in Las Vegas that he put his finger on the trigger while gripping the pistol and pulled upward. I feel sorry for the dog and the owner.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Most police officers know less about guns, and how to handle them safely than the average gun owner. Of course there are police officers who are gun nuts like us, who know firearms well, and know how to safely handle them. But the average officer only knows his particular sidearm, and not any others.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Stupid f***.

LE has become a polarizing thing where I have the utmost respect for those that are true professionals , but an increasingly dimmer and dimmer view of the hacks out there that comprise the rest.

At 50 y/o, this officer should have developed some judgement by now.
----- Doug
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Streetstar wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:18 amStupid f***.
LE has become a polarizing thing where I have the utmost respect for those that are true professionals , but an increasingly dimmer and dimmer view of the hacks out there that comprise the rest.
At 50 y/o, this officer should have developed some judgement by now.
I'm thinking that at 50, and a patrol officer, he ain't the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I sure hope that cop also took the man's injured dog to the vet!

Way back when our state police trained at our club. Us kids used to shoot with them once in a while for fun. They were using the HK P7s, 870s. One day a Captian was there to do his re-qualifaction and he got pretty bent that his officers shot so poorly against us 13 yr olds! He made darn sure we were never allowed to shoot with them again!
Although the day one of the higher ups pulled out a MAC10 Briefcase - that was a hoot !!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:45 am Most police officers know less about guns, and how to handle them safely than the average gun owner. Of course there are police officers who are gun nuts like us, who know firearms well, and know how to safely handle them. But the average officer only knows his particular sidearm, and not any others.
Come to the UK most cops go pale when they see a gun.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

gamekeeper wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:59 pm Come to the UK most cops go pale when they see a gun.
th-3620079705.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:45 am Most police officers know less about guns, and how to handle them safely than the average gun owner. Of course there are police officers who are gun nuts like us, who know firearms well, and know how to safely handle them. But the average officer only knows his particular sidearm, and not any others.
Truth.

And, like everything else. They hire what they can get. And these days, that ain't much.
It's not just McDonald's anymore.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I had a nervous rookie officer take my 1911 carried in condition 1 from me and wave it around with the muzzle pointed at me and several other officers as he was trying to figure out how to get the magazine out and remove the round from the chamber. I can't say I was very happy about the process.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:01 pm .
I had a nervous rookie officer take my 1911 carried in condition 1 from me and wave it around with the muzzle pointed at me and several other officers as he was trying to figure out how to get the magazine out and remove the round from the chamber. I can't say I was very happy about the process.
Back in the day the folks that put on EOT (Cowboy Action World Championships), hired a group calling themselves Range Masters Association... supposedly professional range masters from around the area... both civilian & LEO. That year, somehow it was decided to make the Black Powder entrants all charge their pistols at the loading tables, previously and ever since, only the capping was required to be done at the loading tables... At my first stage I got in line, with my accruements and pistol. When I got to the table, I set everything out and unholstered my 1851 and set it down on the table, butt down, holding the barrel up while I reached for my powder flask with my other hand. The Range Master leaned over and slapped my revolver down flat on the table and told me, "... muzzles must be down to load!" A little stunned, I looked at my pistol, then him, and told him... "I will, as soon as you explain how I'm supposed to pour this powder UP into the chambers..." He looked at the revolver, me, then all around, and finally said... "Maybe you know more about loading that than I do..."
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I can't say I've been there, but I was way closer than I liked. Was carrying a Colt Officer's ACP cocked and locked. The officer removed it from my holster and was trying, without much success to unload it, he clearly didn't really know what he was doing and was asking for instruction. This was road side. I didn't think he was going to shoot me. But I was afraid he was going to accidentally shoot my car, and then his partner who had their gun out at the low ready was going to shoot me at the sound of gunfire.
Slow is just slow.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Yup.....pulled over on my motorcycle for speeding. VERY young State Patrol asked for my LCP and started waving it around, covered me at least three times. Couldn't understand how to unload it or even remove the mag.... :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

After taking his injured dog home and treating it, he flagged down an officer to report the incident.
Another case of talking too much and unnecessarily involving the police.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

piller wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:39 am Sounds to me as if the Officer was poorly trained. I would be willing to bet in Las Vegas that he put his finger on the trigger while gripping the pistol and pulled upward. I feel sorry for the dog and the owner.
I hope he sues the rap out of them, leave lawabiding people alone!!!!!!!!!!!
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot