Dovetail slots on Rossi 92 barrel

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Dovetail slots on Rossi 92 barrel

Post by Naphtali »

Rossi 1892 OEM front and rear (mid-barrel) front sights are dovetailed onto barrel. I want to replace both. What are dimensions required for replacements?

Are there replacement of either type of sight that users have found particularly useful?

If any has used a "wide English V" sight, preferred for use on extremely powerful double rifles by early 20th century professional African hunters, I am interested in whether their nearly universal preference is agreed to for current use on traditional lever actions. Follow-ups are: Who makes them in USA; who is source of used versions?
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Dovetail slots on Rossi 92 barrel

Post by Pat C »

Depends on the era the old Amadeo Rossi used non standard oversize dovetails. Standard sights would just fall through.

Marbles made a Rossi rear sight with oversized dovetail to be fit into Rossi dovetails and is marked on bottom with an R.

I don't know about current Rossi braztech what they have done.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Some are wider ('metric/European'..?)

I just use thin aluminum shims on the wider slots, and that works pretty well.

Here's a bunch of sight options I've used over the years...

https://levergunscommunity.org/viewtopi ... 74#p390174
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

Oops, I just realized all sight bases I've installed previously are screw-on. Do I drive Rossi OEM front and rear sights out from right-to-left?
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Dovetail sights always drive out to the right side of rifle .
The barrel dovetails are parallel its the sights that have a small lead taper on one side to allow easy start .
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

So Pat C, drive the sights OUT from left to right (always viewing from barrel breech toward muzzle). Insert sight base into slot by driving IN from right to left?

I checked rifle. Braztech is its importer.

If no one can identify correct rear and front sights' slot sizes, how can I do this?

About the only way I can think of would be to drive OEM sights from barrel, then mic. I don't know whether driving them from barrel would affect dimensions.
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

Skinner sights might be able to help.

http://skinnersights.com/
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Naphtali wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:27 am So Pat C, drive the sights OUT from left to right (always viewing from barrel breech toward muzzle). Insert sight base into slot by driving IN from right to left?

I checked rifle. Braztech is its importer.

If no one can identify correct rear and front sights' slot sizes, how can I do this?

About the only way I can think of would be to drive OEM sights from barrel, then mic. I don't know whether driving them from barrel would affect dimensions.
Yes. I've only delt with the Amadeo Rossi. Older. They were oversize dovetails. Marbles made replacement for Rossi .
Stamped R on the bottoms.

You can easily drive them out to see what you have ,that's what I recommend. Brownells has Marbles or they used too.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

Thanks, guys.
And thank you, Pat C.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I just looked and Brownells doesn't have any Rossi specific rear sights anymore. The last rear sight I used on my neighbor's 2009 Rossi, had a standard rear dovetail and I just took a cold chisel and stamped a few nicks in the lower edge of the dovetail on each side so that it would interference fit in the larger dovetail on the barrel. That was in 2010 and it's still tightly in place.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
ANDYLARSSON
Site Owner

Post by ANDYLARSSON »

Rossi sights prior to 2010 were about 10mm (larger than 3/8") and had an odd angle. After that date the size of the dovetail has varied from .410" down to .380" Many standard (Nominal) 3/8" dovetails will now work on the newer production guns while some still need one slightly larger. Skinner Sights has a barrel mounted dovetail sight with a .390 - .400" dovetail and front sights to match that size as well.

If you have any questions please give Skinner Sights a call Mon - Fri 8-5 Montana Time, 406-745-4570

Hope that helps!

Andy
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Thanks Andy!
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

From me also. Andy, a BIG thank you.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

Someone at Rossi-Braztech may be helping?? But I 'm unsure.

"Thank you for the serial number, we do ask for this information to verify the model. Dove tail cuts are a Novick standard. Is there anything else I can assist you with today? Have a nice day."

1. I requested widths of front AND rear sight dovetails. This is one? Which one? Or this an answer for both?
2. What is Novick standard dimensionally? How would I use it to identify sights that will install on my current model Rossi Model 92?

As you may be aware, I'm confused and am considering becoming frustrated.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Novick standard????
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Never heard of such, quick and easy just an import dial caliper will check the exposed dovetail on either side of barrel
That measurement will tell you if it's close to nominal .375"
standard. If it's larger you'll have to get creative if you want Winchester style sights.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

ANDYLARSSON wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:03 pm Rossi sights prior to 2010 were about 10mm (larger than 3/8") and had an odd angle. After that date the size of the dovetail has varied from .410" down to .380" Many standard (Nominal) 3/8" dovetails will now work on the newer production guns while some still need one slightly larger. Skinner Sights has a barrel mounted dovetail sight with a .390 - .400" dovetail and front sights to match that size as well.

If you have any questions please give Skinner Sights a call Mon - Fri 8-5 Montana Time, 406-745-4570

Hope that helps!

Andy
Andy,

Have you ever made that ladder sight to fit the Rossi dovetail?
ANDYLARSSON
Site Owner

Post by ANDYLARSSON »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:44 pm
ANDYLARSSON wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:03 pm Rossi sights prior to 2010 were about 10mm (larger than 3/8") and had an odd angle. After that date the size of the dovetail has varied from .410" down to .380" Many standard (Nominal) 3/8" dovetails will now work on the newer production guns while some still need one slightly larger. Skinner Sights has a barrel mounted dovetail sight with a .390 - .400" dovetail and front sights to match that size as well.

Hope that helps!

Andy
Andy,

Hello Scott,

Try our standard dovetail ladder sight if you have a 2010 Rossi or newer. Should be just fine.

Hope that helps,

Andy
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Naphtali wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:44 am As you may be aware, I'm confused and am considering becoming frustrated.
I usually skip confused and just start with frustrated; then I go to insane after that... 😳
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

ANDYLARSSON wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:53 am
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:44 pm

Hope that helps!

Andy
Andy,

Hello Scott,

Try our standard dovetail ladder sight if you have a 2010 Rossi or newer. Should be just fine.

Hope that helps,

Andy
The sights I bought from you at the Shootists holiday are just perfect. Thank you!
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

I purchased a new Rossi 38/357 and got both a new front and rear sight from STEVE'S GUNZ and they both were Marbles sights made for the new Rossi's.
old sights drifted out to the right, and new sight went right in. Steves's says these sights are made for the Rossi
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

I just measured the old dovetail on the Rossi sights I removed and with my dial caliper measures 3.85 but this sight I got from Steve's Gunz went right in