An actual magazine tube detonation ...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

An actual magazine tube detonation ...

Post by AJMD429 »

https://youtu.be/YDuoj7KR-CA

Wear those shooting glasses...!!!
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: An actual magazine tube destination ...

Post by CowboyTutt »

Yeah, I saw that too Doc. I should have posted it, but you beat me to it. It's a good learning experience with the 1860 Henry, but perhaps it should be titled as such as "What not to do with the 1860 Henry" or "How to avoid a magazine tube detonation with the 1860 Henry". Spelling does matter too, I suspect the auto spelling correct which causes me grief all of the time too. My next "destination" is Poland or Ukraine this summer! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Looks like somebody needs to roll Bill's post into yours too!

https://www.levergunscommunity.org/view ... hp?t=87855
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Through the years internet experts have convinced me that mag tube detonations cannot occur. So the two I have witnessed must have been hallucinations...
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Dropping live shells down a tube kinda puts me in mind of a mortar... :?
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

When I bought my Henry back in 2009 from EMF, they warned me of the same thing. I hold mine at a shallow five or so degrees above the horizontal and carefully release the follower when making final prep to stage the rifle for shooting. I've had to reload on the timer a couple of times in a cowboy match... both times the rifle could remain staged on the table top. Once I just picked up the rifle, ran thru the ten in magazine and then loaded the eleventh from on top of the carrier, the 2nd time I left it on the table, opened the magazine, inserted the 11th round and closed it up, again making sure the carrier eased down of the column of cartridges. It's a rare occurrence in cowboy action, but one should be prepared to do it, have a plan and have practiced how to carry out that plan.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

CowboyTutt wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:07 am Yeah, I saw that too Doc. I should have posted it, but you beat me to it. It's a good learning experience with the 1860 Henry, but perhaps it should be titled as such as "What not to do with the 1860 Henry" or "How to avoid a magazine tube detonation with the 1860 Henry". Spelling does matter too, I suspect the auto spelling correct which causes me grief all of the time too. My next "destination" is Poland or Ukraine this summer! -Tutt
Lol I fixed it.

It's a choice between fat/arthritis-fingering the tiny keyboard or mush-mouthing with voice text... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Re: An actual magazine tube detonation ...

Post by piller »

Glad he was not hurt any worse.
OK, I am not an expert, and my opinion is worth what you paid for it. Unexpected and unplanned detonations are probably going to happen if you shoot guns enough. Safety should never be ignored. My time for one has not yet happened, but I try to prevent it as much as possible. It probably will happen someday. I came close a few years ago with some gun show cartridges from Houston Cartridge Company.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost