Range Time -- 1 Lever + 1 Low Wall + 1 New Eye

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Range Time -- 1 Lever + 1 Low Wall + 1 New Eye

Post by Old No7 »

Finally got out to the range with long guns -- which I have not been able to shoot well for >2 years unless they were scoped. Today, I took the new Uberti Low Wall and Marlin 1897 Cowboy, both 22s -- and my "new eye". The doc fixed my cataract and I've now got 20/15 vision in my aiming eye! Can't wait for another week to pass so I can shoot my High Wall 38-55 or Marlin Cowboy 357, and shoot trap or skeet again.

I'll do a full range report on the Low Wall after it's been drilled & tapped, as I found a "mint" 10X Unertl on Gunbroker and won the auction. I wanted an "older style" target scope for the Taylor's Uberti and not a newer variable scope. It was great to shoot the 1897 Cowboy again -- and it's a levergun! -- no, it's not as smooth as the older 1975-vintage Mountie I had (which I had to sell off to fund this one), but I guess that just means I need to get it out and shoot more.

It's been 5 days since the surgery on my shooting eye, and now I have to wait 3 more weeks for the other eye to get fixed.

But I can see more range time -- now that I CAN SEE -- in my future now! :wink:

Old No7

z Low Wall Marlin 1897 22s med.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Range Time -- 1 Lever + 1 Low Wall + 1 New Eye

Post by gamekeeper »

Glad to hear you got to making smoke again and that your new eye works well. I have to wait until my cataracts get worse before I can get them done but it's good to know that it's worth waiting for... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Good to hear, slated for double cataract surgery next Tuesday. Wondering how long back to golf.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Awesome news! Thank you 🙏🏼
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:17 pm I have to wait until my cataracts get worse before I can get them done but it's good to know that it's worth waiting for... :D
That was me too John! My right eye was ready (by MY standards) 2 years ago, but we had to wait for the left eye to get worse... Sure made it challenging when driving on a dark and rainy night due to all the "lens flare". I bought a small green dot reflex sight a year ago, and it was a perfect dot with the left eye up to 6 months ago, but with the right eye (before cataract surgery) it looked like a load of 00 buck.

Old Savage wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:26 pm Good to hear, slated for double cataract surgery next Tuesday. Wondering how long back to golf.
Good luck with that! I wanted a "double" too -- both eyes the same day, but my Doc flatly refuses to do that... For me, it's a week wearing an eye shield at night, no rubbing of the eye, no impacts, limit bending over and don't carry over 20# and strain. All is good so far. The extra week I'm waiting until I shoot a shotgun or centerfire is based on postings from other shooters on other forums -- just to give it more time.

Tycer wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:28 pm Awesome news! Thank you 🙏🏼
Not sure what I'm being thanked for -- unless you're a future cataract candidate -- but thanks for looking at this post.

Oh, for those interested; I elected to get the Toric lens for optimal distance (20/15) in both eyes, as I'm a hunter, boater and shooter. I will need to use inexpensive cheaters for really fine print or detail work. I can live with that.

My doc said I was "the most excited patient" he's ever had -- as most others associate cataract surgery as a sign of old age! But I've had bad eyes since birth (only 2.5#, identical twin, and we were put in an incubator without our eyes being covered for 44 days). That was in the days before NICUs for premie's. When we were 20, my dad had a lawyer visit who wanted to "Sue the hospital, the late doctor's estate and the head nurse -- and get us a lifetime of free glasses and eye care". I can't repeat what my dad told him other than -- they probably saved our lives (glad they did).

Cheers!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Good news! I'm slated for an "out of facility" eye exam early next month by the VA. I'm definitely asking the private eye doc for an evaluation if it's possible to improve my eyes. As far as I know, no cataracts, but... I was 20/17 in both eyes until I was in my 50's. Needed cheater's while still in the Navy, but that was because they used like 6pt type on their IBM cards. After I got out, I didn't need cheaters again until I was in my late 40s.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Who says getting old is fun? I’d like to silence them….

Unertlels….or however it’s spelled have always been the scope to have but one thing for sure, todays optics with their modern coatings cannot be beat, let alone equaled. MVA or Montana Vintage Arms has a wide assortment of quality scopes for old guns. No drilling required …just put the blocks in the dovetails and your good to go…….crystal clear optics.

On an original Low Wall in 32-20 half rd/oct. ….36” MVA….—-00…..6

Oh….word has it Jack Daniels went “woke”……nothing personal as that was my go-to for many years….

Model A Uzi’s
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Had cataract surgery several years back. Went from 20/10 vision most of my life, to needed glasses, to needing bifocals 6 months later to the discovery of the cataracts. Opted for the multi-focal lenses... and ended up being part of the "2% or less" that the surgery wasn't 100% successful for. So I need cheaters for small things, especially in dim lighting. I'm still happy with the surgery; the type of cataracts I had would have blinded me in a couple years a few generations ago.
Sixgun wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:24 pm
Oh….word has it Jack Daniels went “woke”……nothing personal as that was my go-to for many years….
Say it ain't so!!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:10 pm Say it ain’t so!
Hey Kid! I know you to be a true patriot and I hope you feel the same about me….people are afraid to say anything in public for fear of losing their multi penny jobs if they speak the truth….,,,,that s. don’t bother me and never has. All of this started in the 60’s….(making people afraid to speak the truth.)……first they passed the Civil Rights Bill, which was a definitive plus…I agree….no man is better than another with trash coming in all colors and forms…..….but then they started with the point system for civil servant jobs and affirmative action b.s. which meant if you were a black female with 41 kids and graduated from the third grade….after failing it 7 times…….you could get a civil servant job making 100G’s a year and that’s all you had to do was show up at the bus stop once or twice a week to take you to “work”.

Going “woke” is no better than an endorsement from the Klan…….I’ll drop every woke company there is…..the Klan is dead, where they ought to be.

Like Kid Rock says, “they can’t cancel me” is also true to form to me…..screw em all and the horse they rode in on.———006
Model A Uzi’s
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

That's a beautiful Low Wall, Six! Man, I can't believe the length of that scope; you'd have to be SOOO careful transporting it. But it'd be lots of fun to shoot.
Thanks for the picture.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:54 pm
Ysabel Kid wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:10 pm Say it ain’t so!
Hey Kid! I know you to be a true patriot and I hope you feel the same about me….people are afraid to say anything in public for fear of losing their multi penny jobs if they speak the truth….,,,,that s. don’t bother me and never has. All of this started in the 60’s….(making people afraid to speak the truth.)……first they passed the Civil Rights Bill, which was a definitive plus…I agree….no man is better than another with trash coming in all colors and forms…..….but then they started with the point system for civil servant jobs and affirmative action b.s. which meant if you were a black female with 41 kids and graduated from the third grade….after failing it 7 times…….you could get a civil servant job making 100G’s a year and that’s all you had to do was show up at the bus stop once or twice a week to take you to “work”.

Going “woke” is no better than an endorsement from the Klan…….I’ll drop every woke company there is…..the Klan is dead, where they ought to be.

Like Kid Rock says, “they can’t cancel me” is also true to form to me…..screw em all and the horse they rode in on.———006
Extremely well said Six. And I know you are a true patriot. Thank you for the compliment!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

my wife had the right eye done yesterday now just one more to go.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15