A day at the range with no shooting.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

A day at the range with no shooting.

Post by marlinman93 »

Today was the gun club's annual work day. I am always amazed at the turnout, and the work the guys do. Show up in the morning thinking, "What could they need done today? The place looks great!"
Then by the end of the day as good as it looked in the morning, it's much nicer by the time we head home! Makes me proud to be a member when I see how good the guys and gals are at improving the place!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ysabel Kid

Re: A day at the range with no shooting.

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Funny, I was at the range this morning and only fired two rounds. Spent the rest of the time as a RSO and Instructor. Still, a day at the range is better than 99% of the days not at the range.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I made up for you both! Arrived at 9am and was shooting by 0930. knocked off @ 4pm. Started with my Lightning & 1911, then the 1911 by itself, then the mdl 12 & 1911, and finally the mdl 12, the Lightning & 1911 before lunch. On both moving and static targets! Then the afternoon was taken up with the 1903-A3 and Garand. Finished off with my 1885 in .32-40. Passed it around to the guys left and everyone seemed to think it was a sweet shooter! I now have a few more hulls to load my BP shotshells, some .44-40 & 45ACP along with .30-06 to load! Proved again that the .32-40 is easily "minute-of-rock" and will be loading a few more!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vall, was this Tri-County? Douglas Ridge?
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

A few weeks ago I went through our annual RSO refresher at the range where we go over any new or modified rules and they show us how to use the latest and greatest version of the checkin software.

As the winters usually result in low and infrequent use of the range, it's also a great time to say hi and shoot the bull with the members you haven't seen in a few months.

We also have workbond days where we spruce up the place and I'm always amazed at how many show up to work. Lots of jokes and laughter and a great time.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:33 am Vall, was this Tri-County? Douglas Ridge?
Douglas Ridge. Tri County doesn't have required work days, as they pay to have it done there. I was a member at both ranges, but dropped Tri County after I realized I was mislead about what I could shoot at longer distances. They told me I could shoot my old rifles at 600 yds., but when I asked their long range director he quickly said I couldn't because "it required too much muzzle elevation" to shoot their 600 yd. range. I can shoot 1000 yds. at Douglas Ridge with any gun.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

" I couldn't because "it required too much muzzle elevation" to shoot their 600 yd. range."

If only that housing sub-division would move out of the way. :D :D
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

jdad wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:22 am " I couldn't because "it required too much muzzle elevation" to shoot their 600 yd. range."

If only that housing sub-division would move out of the way. :D :D
Wasn't because of the housing sub-division. It was that stupid poorly conceived elevated concrete wall in front of the firing line! He told me that they were afraid my bullets would hit the lower part of the wall when shooting 600 yds.
I personally doubt this seriously, as it is too close to the firing line, and the high point of the bullet's path would only be maybe 35 ft. at midway to the 600 yd. target. But he's a high power shooter, and has the final say, so wouldn't allow me to test my loads and show him.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vall, Douglas Ridge is where I first saw BPCR target competition in the mid 1990s -- about the time the Portland Microbrew Festival got started. :lol:
Brother and I drove out to just watch. I took some 35mm photos. This was the first time I had a chance to meet and talk with Dave Gullo, who had a little outfit called Buffalo Arms back then.
Match started with military rifles at 200 -- almost all of them Trapdoors. Oh, lord, to watch and hear those Springfields going off almost at once and seeing the smoke rings in the morning light... done died and gone to Heaven. 8)
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:23 pm Vall, Douglas Ridge is where I first saw BPCR target competition in the mid 1990s -- about the time the Portland Microbrew Festival got started. :lol:
Brother and I drove out to just watch. I took some 35mm photos. This was the first time I had a chance to meet and talk with Dave Gullo, who had a little outfit called Buffalo Arms back then.
Match started with military rifles at 200 -- almost all of them Trapdoors. Oh, lord, to watch and hear those Springfields going off almost at once and seeing the smoke rings in the morning light... done died and gone to Heaven. 8)
DRRC was well known back then for their BPCR long range matches, and we got attendees from all over the US, and Canada who came here to shoot that match. Unfortunately someone at our club decided he needed to investigate whether we could legally allow folks to camp out at the club during the 3 day event, so he approached the county about it. The county said we didn't have authorization to use the property for overnight camping, even if trailers and campers were self contained. So the club immediately stopped the camping, and the matches died.
They could have gone along doing as they'd done for many years, with nobody even knowing, or caring about camping during events. But once some smart guy posed the question the box was opened, and could never be closed again.
The club got an urge to return to BPCR events, and even spent funds to erect a large steel buffalo that can be laid down when not in use, and cranked up for practices, or shoots. For awhile a small group of guys got to shooting practice on Tue. afternoons after the weekly morning work time, and once a month a Thu. match. But the guy running them stepped down, and nobody has taken his place yet. We talked about it Sat. at lunch, but need to appoint a match director, and post a notice in the monthly newsletter so we can see how much interest there is in long range matches. Most guys I talk to think long range with a single shot in old cartridges is 300 yds., and don't even want to try shooting past 500 yds. So I think we need to start with closer distances of 300-500 yds. mid-range matches, and gradually move out further as guys get excited and want to try that.
Of course we still have to compete for time with the snipers at our club. The guys who want to shoot the same range, but use modern high power bolt action rifles that shoot much flatter. All the talk of military snipers shooting at great distance has really drawn a lot of guys to wanting that vs. long range with old single shots.